1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saamiye Saranam Ayappa!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

SAAMIYE SARANAM Aiyappa!

We Indians have a talent for getting embroiled in non-issues and even wrangling in courts over it for years. My dad used to say that during British days the issue of whether temple elephants must have a U mark or Y mark on their foreheads was fought for years in courts by various Vaishnavite sects. The Sabarimala issue is equally frivolous.

True ntheSupreme Court has declarednthat women of all ages can enter Sabarimala temple and women in the menstruating age group cannot be kept out.My fellow liberals must be euohoric that it is a blow for gender equality while religious conservatives will frown at my calling the issue frivolous. For them it amounted to njudicial interference in religious traditions.

It is not the first time that the court has interfered in religious matters. It allowed women to enter the Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai and a Shani temple in Maharashtra.

True no one should be barred from anywhere let alone places of worship on the basis of caste , gender or even faith. But at the bsame time doies it really matter whether someone enters or ndoes not ente a place of worship?

It nop way solves their real problems. Temple or Dargah entry is not a real women’s issue.Being allowed into Sabarimaqla temple will in no way bring the glass ceiling crashing down. Nor will their lot worsen because a mythical, imaginary being whose idol is housed in some temple will frown upon the temple being opened to nall women and displeased will wreak havoc on them.

The real issues are equality and safety nat workplaces, protection from rape, domestic anbuse , dowry harassment , equal educational anfd career opportunities etc. So dear activists, stop worrying about non-issues and focus on the real problems.

BTW, Justice Indu Malhotra, congrata! Your dissenting njudgement blinded me with its intelligence. “Courts should not interfere in matters of faith”. That way Sati and human sacrifices are also matters of faith. Should we allow them? ?

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Who can forget the Vivek's joke in Anniyan movie about this?

Interference by the Court in religion has been a regular future. Frankly, I feel that the courts make the decision based on common sense than any other applicable rule of law or other sentiments.

In the US, a woman gave a testimony against a Supreme Court nominee yesterday that the nominee attempted to rape her 36 years ago. All men Republican Judiciary Committee (majority) is going to vote today in favor of the Judge without further investigation. I am glad Indian Judges are busy with religion than the woman.

Viswa

GeetaKashyap, Adharv and poovai like this.
  3. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Rightly said Balajee sir. There are many other issues which needs focus - rape, sexual harassment, child sexual abuse ………

shara

SinghManisha and Adharv like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,
    Many many problems are there. Why give importance to these things? Years pass on. Matter of faith is very debatable. In the name of faith can they support negative things? No! Not at all! Direction should be to eradicate them.
    Syamala

GeetaKashyap and sindmani like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Vikswa LUCKILY NONE HAS TESTIFIED AGAINST A JUDGE SO FAR IN iNDIA ON SEXUAL MISCONDUCT. lOOKS LIKE tyRUMP'S WEIGHTIS SOLIDLY BEHIND KAVANAUGH. hARDLY SURPRISING AS tRUMP HIMSELF DOES NOPT HAVE A CLEAN RECORD IN THIS RESPECT (sEE HIS DISRESPECTFUL COMMENTS ON WOMEN BEFORE HE BECAME PRESIDENT). iF THERE NIS A CONFLICT BETWEEN RELIGIOUS TRADITION AND FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS THE LATTER DEFINITELY MUST HAVE AN UPPER HAND,

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Here is the opinion of a woman.

The verdict of SC on Sabarimala has got me thinking about it and I wanted to share my views.
    As a woman I am trying to answer these three questions?
    WHY was this taken up? Was it required now?
    WHAT does this judgment mean to women?
    HOW is it going to impact women and society?

First, the WHY?

I am not convinced about WHY this was important at all.
    Religion is based on faith and almost every (major) temple has a sthala purana (a history to why it was built) and its own unique procedures .In fact different temples of the same deity have different looking idols and different processes of worship.
    There are history and reasons for it and people have been respecting it with faith.

When we are denied access in to a fine dining restaurant on basis of dressing , we understand and respect it as their codes or rules and adhere to it , we do not consider it as insult.
    When we can respect such simple things why are we questioning a faith followed by a temple that is supported with reasons and history ? Has it has any negative impact on any woman till now ? I don't think so.
    WHY don't we respect a faith and move on?

This now leads me to the next question WHAT?
    WHAT does getting entry in that temple mean to woman now?
    If u call it achieving WOMAN equality, it's just a big JOKE. First I think the concept of woman equality or empowerment should be redefined.
    A woman should have a conducive environment to be herself and do her best .. That's what I call a fair society.
    What does it mean to all those women who are struggling to be themselves and their best ?
    With this judgement, are more girls going to get access to education? Are we going to have more safety for women? Are women going to be treated fairly at home or outside?
    If it will , then I will be happy, but I doubt that.

HOW is this going to impact woman and society?

Religious faith (in most people even today) is a strong motivation for people to practice good and shy away from bad. We have faith in our parents and follow/trust things they say. So with this judgement are we going to
    question every faith now?
    What will happen to a society that questions every faith?

Next, is a woman just going to be happy with this "I am equal to a man because I can enter that temple" kind of standard for her life? Is it not going stop her from aiming higher of being her best and being someone she was designed for.

As an Indian citizen I respect law ,but as a woman I see no need to break the faith of millions or disrespect century old tradition just to prove I am equal to a man; because I don't have to be equal to a man to be great human .I can be that by just being me. Yes, I can be by just being a WOMAN.
    Jayasala 42

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Over millennia, in the name of religion, lotof negative things have been happening be it crusades, Jihads, human sacrifices, sati, temple prostitution and what not and tradition is no excuse for them. bBefore we accept any faith related matters we should closely examine whether they are relevcant for nour times.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you . I am also not convinced that nthis isnan important issue at all. If temple entry could lead to equality of any kind Dalits would not continue to be disadvantaged despite all that affirmative action. Tempe entries orn dargah entries are indeed a joke. But at the same time something cannot be accepted and embraced wholeheartedly just because it is "tradition" and if there is a conflict between law of the land, constitution and fundamental rights on the one hand and tradition on the other, the former should prevail.