1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Charity And Benevolence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Sep 25, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Charity and Benevolence.
    Last evening's fund raiser for the victims of Kerala Floods, that left many dead, injured and crippled for life, that caused so much of damage of property and lives and that made humanity to help in whatever way, made me think what prompts us to make a donation?
    Donations can be in any form- cash or kind, blood, body organs, labor in any which way to help those in need of help caused by any mishap.
    Is it pure act of compassion? Or is it other than and more than an act of compassion? Let us examine.
    Our first reaction is will the donation reach the intended beneficiary. What is the guarantee?
    And then :
    - I must do it because I am a responsible human being and/or
    - I must do it because the God said to offer a portion of my meal to Him (as Ahuti in the Yagna) before I take it.
    -I must do it because others are doing.
    -I must do it because it will reward me in my next life.
    -I must do it because it's an opportune time to get rid of my junk-clothes, books, blankets etc.
    - I must do it because it's deductible in income tax
    - I must do it because I can tell the whole world.
    In most cases the beneficiary will never know the donors. But that does not matter. Whatever be the reason, charity is always welcome.
    There are however situations where the beneficiary is obliged for life. I was told about a nurse who donated blood to save a mother's life in a dangerous delivery as no other option could be explored. Imagine yourself as one on a bed in a hospital receiving blood from another person on a bed next to you.
    Charity is not all about benevolence but it is always welcome.
    75000 dollars were collected and will reach the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.

sindmani and shyamala1234 like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Generally it is due to compassion. We do not think about other aspects, at least at that moment. First heart reacts. Then we think leisurely with brain. Reason may be anything. But if it reaches the needy I think it is fine. Yes, it is always welcome.
    Good that you have collected a big amount for them.
    Syamala

sindmani likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

The following are my views on the subject:

1) Determine whether the person deserves such compassion. "Pathiram Arindhu Pitchaidu" is the Tamil saying meaning, "You need to know who deserves the charity and benevolence". A person should be really in need of something.

2) This should be done with love and compassion with no expectations. When we give we should give not to get ride of something we don't need but something the receiving person needs and that too what would be acceptable for us to receive.

3) It should be done with the attitude of caring and sharing with our hands underneath letting the receiver to take it with their hands on top. We shouldn't advertise and realize it transforms us and that is the benefit we derive out of such compassion. It shoudn't be done with the attitude that we have done something good for someone else and that act of ours is helping us to become a better person.

4) There are so many established charities and most of them publish how much of what we donate goes to the beneficiaries intended by us is published. In some cases only 50% of what is donated goes to the beneficiaries and other 50% is used for administering the charity. We need to always study whether the administrative cost is low or high.

These are my views. But it is hard to apply this rule if a calamity happens and the objective is to collect as much as possible to help people. We also need to focus our attention to the elders, children and poor or people who are in need of specific help.

Viswa

4. HariLakhera

I agree, first it is the call of the heart. A correction, the fund raiser was organised by people living here belonging to Kerala and all Indians here responded. AS a family we also did our bit.

5. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for your comments. Yes it is very difficult to keep these sublime principles in mind all the time. On times we donate impulsively, or just others are doing it or some recognition. Whatever may be the reason if it is helping the needy it is always welcome.

Viswamitra likes this.