1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ocd Sister

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rojagarden, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Rojagarden

Rojagarden Platinum IL'ite

I have a weird problem with my sister. She has cleanliness and organizing OCD. Her house is like a museum with all things always in their place. Even when she cooks, she keeps cleaning the sink in between cooking or immediately after the cooking is done. Her sink is always empty with no dishes. Her kid also keeps everything in place so that her mom doesn’t shout at her. I on the other hand like to enjoy life with kids. I like to cook but don’t like doing dishes all the time. I only do dishes once in a day when I feel like.She always advises me of how to keep my kitchen and house clean and be organized. I try to empty my sink whenever my sister says she’s coming, also clean the house. My sister lives close to me and sometimes I have little time to clean the dishes.

I’m tired of hearing her advises about cleaning and organizing. I do tell her that I’m cleaning in my own aspect, but can’t talk back a lot since she’s my elder sister. I just keep silent but angry inside. Anyone else have similar problem and how do you deal with it? This is kind of vent post too.

anushri likes this.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Just listen to her next time and then casually tell her she is right in her way
    , at the same time you are also not wrong in your way. You both are two different individuals so you both have different ways to do work, different priorities. I am sure you are not telling your sister not to be cleanliness freak, similarly she should accept as you are.

3. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

@Rojagarden I understand how it frustrates to hear all the time the same thing. But Its really hard for people who are dealing with OCD to control their obsession behavior. Probably your sister might need counseling if it's too extream. I too obsessed with cleaning but I don't have OCD and I don't impose my opinion on others. Every time when I visit others house I feel like to tell the same things to them but I control. The best thing you can do is just ignore what she says or tell her directly that I am perfect however I am in a nicer way. try to make her understand that you don't like to listen to this always you know what you are doing.

Rojagarden likes this.
  4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

So I have a cousin I think has OCD. Every time I visit her she is moving my bags around, kids around , sometimes me around, wiping the table . It is very distracting but I think it’s out of her control . She would have a panic attack if she ever saw my kids room . Tell your sister nicely that this is the most you can do.

shravs3, anushri, candidheart and 2 others like this.
  5. Rojagarden

“Sometimes me around”:roflmao:thank you your answer is funny and consoling that I’m not the only one, also my sister is not the only one. I’d also like to mention that I see most of the situations in life as easy and positive, try to find goodness even in bad people. I believe you’re like that too. My sister is kind of serious person most of the time. She has fun only when she finishes all her work. So I think she takes cleaning also seriously.

anushri, SinghManisha and candidheart like this.
  6. Rojagarden

7. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

I've had the same problem, it's my husband. I would have just taken out an ingredient from the fridge while cooking and turn the other side, it would end up back in fridge... I used to be frustrated too..Ive told him his behavior is annoying, but now Ive learned to ignore..he too is trying his best...will get my assurance that when I leave the kitchen it is clean and leave it at that (will make a final inspection though :D)

Why don't you try this, stop cleaning while your sis comes, let her see this is how you are and your family is fine like this..Tell her you had other priority than cleaning...had to attend to your kids or hubby something like that..

or change the topic by saying lets talk something interesting other than cleaning or say
    I want to spend most of the time with you while you are here, cleaning is not as important as you are..

She should get the hint...

8. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

Is she diagnosed with OCD ...or r u saying it on a lighter note?
    if she is diagnosed with it then u can just ignore it and nudge her in a slightly jovial way by saying ' hv u taken medicine today'
    CAUTION: i donno ur sister and ur tuning ..do this ONLY if she is not GELOTOPHOBIC ...(yes!! this is actually a word !! it means people who cant take a joke :yikes::eek::BangHead:

but if she is the serious type then there is an idea which is likely to work...
    1 Dont say anything when she comes to ur home just laught it off ...

2 -but when YOU go to HER house and she starts arranging cleaning things or gettting all riled up with excessive cleaning and washing ...... tell her with complete compassion that u admire her cleanliness and neatness but u r slightly worried (any other words of ur choice ) if it is turning into obsession and compulsion...and tell her that u care for her and dont want her to spend /waste all her time on one compulsion ...tell her ur concern that it may result in poor quality of life .

->Anyone else have similar problem and how do you deal with it? This is kind of vent post too

--actually i m also a clean freak ..but i never ever tell any of my friends or relatives what to do ...because i know people may feel offended ...there r few friends whose houses r downright dirty n disgusting(u and i wont be able to put our feet on their floor ) but i try not to shudder and give any wrong signal cuz they r very sensitive ..so i try to change myself and live like them (many times i fail).
    i just trried to share my experience with u ..i hope it will help ...:ciao:

Rojagarden likes this.
  9. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Oh tell me about it! I have OCD friends.. Sometimes when they go overboard I just tell them to come and clean my house... Then they keep quiet... I want to live my life... I feel sorry for them... They waste half their life in cleaning...

sindmani, Rojagarden and rachaputi like this.
  10. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

You are so so so so lucky

....that its your sister, and not spouse who is like this

You could have ended up with a spouse like that...

Sri2196, sindmani, shravs3 and 2 others like this.