Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No. I usually screen shot and post the image.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I am struggling to vote for Dems this time thanks to Nelson who is good for nothing. The Florida Governor who I didn't vote for, turned out to be good. He is contesting this Senate seat. Now what should I do?

3. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Oh ok. Thanks, I did not realize that is what you had done. Since this is a video screenshot wouldn’t have worked anyway.

Laks09 likes this.
  4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

I am not up to date on FL politics. Why are you against Bill Nelson and pro Rick Scott? If you give your reasons for that, maybe we can start there

Laks09 likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

What do you all make of the circus continuing to unfold over K's nomination?

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Have kind of stopped really reading the updates except for headlines. They were both going to testify on Thursday. Just read that a second woman has come forward with "exposed himself" accusation.

I am tired of Ford's what I call coyness about testifying. First the order of who testifies first, then doesn't want to be in the same room, then says the 'witness' should be subpoenaed. All this after to start with no evidence, no witnesses who recall. I am torn between feeling sorry for her and wondering at what kind of legal advice she has received in the last few months.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Stormy Daniels' lawyer is purporting to represent yet another woman with a similar claim against K.

8. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

She’s not being coy at all! Where did you get that from?

She requested the extra time because she needs it to get to DC. While her family is in hiding from all the death threats.

Did you know she is unable to fly in a plane? Because of her fear of enclosed spaces? So she is going to DC by road all the way. Or that all her life since that assault she has had to compulsory have two entrances to her bedroom - so she can avoid being trapped?
    Yes. Really.
    We cannot even begin to imagine the trauma this woman has gone through

Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  9. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

This week is gonna be interesting that much is clear.

The women are assembling some high powered lawyers on their team. One guy quit his law firm yesterday to join Dr. Ford’s team ex DOJ head of ethics. And now John Clune the best lawyer in country for sex assault cases will rep Debbie Ramirez. Things are moving at warp speed for once.

I’m betting bk withdraws by Tuesday

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, have been reading all that. In such cases, for me it is about the timing of coming out with the decades old accusation. Why wait till he is chosen as a SC judge nominee? Why come out only now? The most common reason is that women are ashamed or terrified to make the accusations as they think they will not be taken seriously and they fear other backlash. OK accepted. That might have kept her from going public for decades. Then, why do it now? Why the heroic attempts by Ford to stop his nomination? What about all the years he served as a judge with so much power? It didn't matter that a person with such a past is serving as a judge? Why not go public then? It would have been less brutal on her too.

We see the death threats, how her life will never be the same again, bedroom with exits and all. I also see K's unenviable position. He can only continue to deny the accusation. And agree to testify. Cannot do much more.

The timing of it puts me off. Innocent until proven guilty changes to guilty until proven innocent.

Anyway, it is going to be a historic week looks like.