1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Summasumma

Summasumma Guest

I used to enjoy reading books but after hearing audiobooks stopped reading altogether. I close my eyes, lie down and listen and when you close eyes and listen brain tends to go to alpha state and etch into memory more stronger...also these novels get us into those periods and closed eyes / alpha state help in better visualization. Wish I could have done this during my school and college days for academics...not only these novels I used to listen to audiobooks of self help materials like Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, Alan Watts , Jiddhu Krishnamurthy etc. and in those cases author/narrator are the same person and it adds the punch.

2. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

i just completed: A room with a view by EM Forster.
    a good read though I did not completely understand the character of George & his father.

3. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

"goddesses never age" by Dr Christiane Northrup.
    nothing new, nevertheless a light read

4. Imani

Imani New IL'ite

Rebel Hard by Nalini Singh - it is very different than her other series, but I found it to be a very enjoyable read. The hero and heroine were relatable and likable. I think it had enough "conflict" to keep readers interested but it was not too much action or suspense where someone would think it was traumatizing to read it.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Finally read When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Glad I read it but a one word review would be 'putdownable.' I was expecting something more profound and more focused maybe. Could connect to it here and there, but overall it was a letdown. Liked the epilogue by his wife more than the book. I did appreciate the effort he put into the book, and the challenges he dealt with when writing it, but it just didn't deliver well in any quarter that it took on - life or death.

Harry's Trees by Jon Cohen - if you ever read, loved and re-read a fairy-tale in your mind a million times, this book is for you. As the book's description says, "... is an uplifting story about the redeeming power of friendship and love and the magic to be found in life’s most surprising adventures." The book is all that and more. In addition to the magic, it was a contemporary fiction read for me after a long time. Its characters spend boring Sunday evenings flipping aimlessly through the internet, amazon, and Netflix. : ) The similes were my favorite. "She reached deep into the mailbox like trying to deliver a breech calf."

6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

‘Most and More’ by Mahatria Ra....

7. Ash73

Ash73 New IL'ite

Complete Fairy Tales of Grimm, and Edgar Allan Poe.

8. VidhyaVi

VidhyaVi Bronze IL'ite

Dance with the dragons by GRR Nartin

9. jayashree16

jayashree16 New IL'ite

Hi all
    How are you guys doing? Currently I am reading meditation and spiritual life by swami yatiswarananda got from Ramakrishna mutt Chennai. It's a very interesting and has a lot of depth in it. Would highly recommend to anyone seeking spiritual path.
    Regards

10. VidhyaVi

VidhyaVi Bronze IL'ite

That book by paul kalanithi js special to me
    What happens when the planned life fails due to no fault of a particular person is the single greatest question one can see ..
    The TV series Breaking Bad has a similar plot line... Probably your view may change if you watch breaking bad ...

In a way that book is what could have happened if Walter White of Breaking Bad could have done .. .

nandinimithun and Rihana like this.