1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help In Overcoming Tea Addiction..

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I used to drink lot of coffee and tea a few years ago...but I faced lot of issues due to caffeine hence I tried cutting down..
    I have totally stopped drinking coffee..
    But I'm unable to stop drinking tea..
    Due to regular tea consumption , like 1-2 cups a day, I'm getting issues like increased body heat, acidity, heat boils and big pimples on face and arms..
    (I'm sure it's due to tea only, if I don't drink tea for few weeks the issues go away)..
    As I have to manage baby on my own along with household chores, I end up drinking tea for staying alert and if I get headache due to irregular sleep ..also when I'm stressed out I end up craving for tea..
    I want to somehow give up drinking tea..
    Pls give some tips so I can avoid craving for tea and give up drinking tea for good..
    (I drink green tea now and then but I don't like its taste)..

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.

2. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

You can try girnar desi khawa tea bags.more or less they taste like rasam with lot of pepper.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Tea is not bad at all for health and one to two cups are fine.

Use herbs,add just one teaspoon of tea with more water than diary and try to limit sugar.

Drink lots of water

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was at 5-7 half-cups a day at one point. Tried to give it couple of times. After a day of no tea used to get the mother of all headaches. After two days used to give in and have "just one cup" which slowly became 3 cups.

Finally what worked was brute force. Removed all tea bags and tea powder from home. Removed sugar also. We don't use sugar for anything else (!). This worked. Was tough for 6-8 days. Very tough. Stuck to it. Half of it was pride as I had told my kids and friends that I am trying this. LOL they all avoided me like the plague in the first two weeks. I was ready to bite off anybody's head including some poor telemarketers.

Once three weeks went by, it felt very liberating to know that I can kick off such a habit. Now, I make tea for myself at home once in a month or so and the sugar dabba is stored on top of the cabinets and I need a chair to reach it. : ) Of course, it helps that every weekend I get to have at least one Starbucks coffee and at Indian/Pakistani restaurants I have the complimentary masala chai or order it. And I have hot chocolate,horlicks etc when I feel like it. Plus, no one at home has tea/coffee other than me......

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

I think green tea or herbal teas are better options and they may satiate your craving. Give it a try.

6. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Try chamomile , Tulsi, peppermint, cardomom, ginger and other flavors of tea without milk and sugar.
    You get various floavors in wholefoods.
    Try them with hot water. Sooner you will get addicted to those taste!

Needtobestrong and Laks09 like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Reduce the serving size, then the serving frequency, substitute and wean off..

Keep a flask of hot water..infuse some ginger and lemon..have it when the craving hits..

The fruit teas, the spice teas, the herbal teas pick what feels good..you will be fine.

8. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

There are various options .. fruit teas.. Herbals.. peppermint .. chamomile..

u can try with them .. even i dont like Green tea ..

Needtobestrong likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The internet recommends eating an apple to stay alert. The crunch from biting into a crisp green apple seems to work for me.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  10. sherinl

sherinl Junior IL'ite

Hi ... Was a coffee addict ... so I understand you completely ... However, it was originally something I loved and enjoyed and it gave me a boost to do my work ... I started working way too early and needed the strength coffee provided me then. However, I also love coffee even now ... but try not to get addicted ...

My motivation to get out of coffee addiction was - 1. one of my batchmate's mom died when one of nerves burst during her coffee headache episodes. I thought it is very extreme and rare and continued drinking coffee ... I did not technically recognize it as an addiction per se. 2. My mom had severe headaches but few years back it became very severe and she had to undergo treatment and now she has to keep alarm and drink coffee at the right time by the second!

I decided it was time to take control of my liking and not let some drug decide it for me. I originally went cold turkey - for the first time. I had severe headache for about 3 days to a week - during this time I kept smelling coffee but never drinking it ... that brought down my headache.

I gave head and neck massage and used peppermint essential oil along with Clove Oil for severe headaches or just peppermint oil and Eucalyptus oil for moderate headaches - note it was never mild headache!

However, I really love my coffee and did not want to stop it. So after the initial head ache and overcoming the addiction period ... I did this:

Whether it was 1 cup or 3 cups - I NEVER have coffee the same time even two consecutive days. I always rotate the timings ... it helps ... trust me.

For me filter coffee was more addicting than instant ... and pure instant coffee more addicting than chicory blend. So I always use instant coffee and have filter coffee only when I really need that for pampering my tastebuds.

If you can't go cold turkey - I know depending on your headache severity and the duration you've been taking tea ... you can't go cold turkey if you're way into it ... then reducing the strength and frequency helps ... while curbing the addiction. Though smelling coffee kept my headaches at bay ... I don't know if it will work for tea ... you can try that.

You can try acupuncture for headache ... though tablets help too ... doctors have specific prescriptions for coffee headaches ... should be similar for tea ... I hope this helps you. Drinking other drinks helps ... but not really ... it is just a distraction ... try other relaxation methods to cope ...

Needtobestrong and Vedhavalli like this.