1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daughter Not Eating Properly

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Jas82688, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies

I need some advice here reg my daughter eating habits

She just started her kindergarten
    She never used to eat properly picky eater weight is in 4% looks lean but active
    Very stubborn and demands the things she wanted if we say no she starts screaming like hell am helpless most of times can’t deal her even my husband ..

Now even before kindergarten she never ate properly .. everyday her lunch box comes as it is .. she starved yes she starved many times ..

Now these days she started saying she doesn’t want to eat food I prepared .. she said I will order at cafeteria..

She saw few elder kids getting food there now crying she doesn’t want Home food ..

Am getting mad .. I told her she is too young to order food there’s n eat her reply was I know how to order I will go ask them give me veg sandwich give me cheese pizza ..

N today she continuously crying don’t pack lunch box I packed vada for her ..

Dint know how to deal ..?

Do you guys allow your kindergarten kid to order food in school ..? We are vegetarian she still Doesn’t know the diff between veg non veg I think so atleast ..

She is very angry n telling me today I will not eat your vada .. I prepare foods like chapathi poori lemon rice vada idli Semya upma fir her .. she eats these foods at home but when it comes to school she is acting like this .. and she is starving from last couple of days .. I will put some crackers fruits with them so she will just eat crackers fruits n bring the box back ..

I can see she is very dull by the time we go n pick her ..

Her school timing

7.30 to 5.30

Wakes up at 6.30 doesn’t have breakfast says but hungry just leaves school .. by 5.30 starts screaming in the car saying hungry give me some food .. so everyday I have to buy some snack for her during pickup .. so she eats that snack again lots of tantrums at dinner time won’t eat saying not hungry .. goes to bed 9 or 9.30

Am clueless more than eating issues I see here descpline issues I feel like failed mom to keep the kid descplined.. tell me how to deal with her she is 5 1/2 years old

2. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

Can understand your frustration. You can bring in changes slowly only. Use Rewarding method.

First, don't let her go hungry. Give her something healthy to start the day. Peanut Butter or Nutella Toast, Banana, milk, a boiled egg (dont know if it is ok as you are veg), Porridge, idlies Chappati etc anything that she will eat. Decide the menu the previous day. Discuss with her about breakfast and come to a compromise. Like she can pick one and you can pick one on alternate days. If it helps make a timetable on the weekend. If she eats good breakfast reward her with stars. If she collects say 10 stars(you decide) then let her buy lunch at cafeteria. You can tell the food department at school or let her school teacher know or send a note saying that she is vegetarian . Anyway if she is not eating anything the whole day let her eat atleast what she buys from cafteria once or twice a week. Just my opinion.

Regarding Lunch, maybe she wants to try what other kids eat, Maybe she is feeling awkward to take indian food or maybe some kids made fun of her lunch who knows ... So talk to her and find out. For Lunch too make a plan over the weekend. Again you decide one meal and let her decide another. Involve her in shopping. Go for some finger foods something healthy, like cheese/paneer cubes, Pasta with vegs, fruits veggie sticks with dips, small buttered bread rolls etc. On the days she finishes something give her a star sticker and encourage her to eat more the next day. Keep reminding her if she gets these many stars she can buy food but she needs to eat what she takes from home too.

When you pick her up have some banana, apple with Peanut butter/almond butter or, smoothies or yogurt or milk (8 oz carton) handy so that she can have something on the way home.

Try some of these and see if it helps.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Jas82688 and pinky2cute like this.
  3. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Kids that age are experimental with tastes.
    Maybe you should try making what she likes but is also healthy.
    E.g. if she likes pizza, make chapati dough with multigrain wheat flour n roast it on tawa making it crisp. Apply tomato ketchup ( homemade preferred) Add grated mozeralla cheese or cheddar cheese (dont buy processed cheese which us ut healthy) ...add some vegetables like corn, bell pepper of colors like yellow, red n green. Add olives n jalapenos n top with grated cheese n cook covered on tawa fr few mins till cheese melts.

You can try making utappams in different shapes.
    Make brown bread sandwiches n decorate them in shape of mickey mouse etc....

Find on google u vl know ....

Basic idea is to make it look interesting to the kid while u cn make it healthy too

Jas82688, SinghManisha and shravs3 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It’s very normal for a kindergartner to want to eat school lunch. Take it from an experienced mom, let her eat there. I’ve fought this battle with my then kindergartner and finally let her eat there thrice a week. No drama. She ate three days a week there and twice she took what I packed.

When they get to middle/high school and start complaining about the “yucky” cafeteria food and demand varieties every day you will miss those cafeteria buying days!

5. SamyK

SamyK New IL'ite

Kids at that age are choosy. try aloo tikki, cutlet, her favrt stuffed veggies momos, sweet corn, aloo pops, or make different designs of small small dosa to attract her.

Jas82688 likes this.
  6. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

I agree with @Laks09, make a deal with her saying 3 days cafeteria and 2 days home cooked food, and slowly increase number of days for home cooked lunch box. After coming from school, offer her solid food like rice with curries or dosa or idli or what you planned for your dinner, instead of offering snacks at that time. Right after you pick her up offer a healthy snack like her fav fruits/granola bar/choco milk/mixed nuts ladoo something like that, so that you can reach home and quickly fix the dinner. I do the same with my kids [LO is picky eater]

Hope this helps.

Jas82688 and SinghManisha like this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I feel some discipline issues too, but don’t get disheartened because literally every kid tests their parents n this isn’t a one time thing either, as they grow, issue varies, but testing our limits stays, so better to learn how to deal n find one way or another.

During pickup, don’t “buy” snacks, take home made food.

If she wants veg sandwich n cheese pizza, it’s very easy to make at home.
    That same vada or any veggie cutlets, put in between a burger or a pav or a bread with some tomato sauce - it’s burger / sandwich.
    That same chapathi, poori - put some sauce n cheese on it - it becomes cheese pizza
    Any rice rolled into a ball can become veg sushi.

Make her create a menu to take to school that she is ok with. Go shopping with her n even cook along with her for a few days to make her school lunch n make her pack it. Let her see n feel that she’s taking along cool lunches too.

Is she feeling inferior to eat indian food at the school ? Does no one else eats or brings ? Or did someone say something ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Jas82688 likes this.
  8. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Did you talk to the teacher and notify the school about her skipping lunch? You could request the teacher to use some tactics like clapping for her when she shows her the emptied lunch box or being appreciative of all who finish their lunches etc. Looks like she’s getting easily influenced as she’s loving to copy the kids who are buying at the cafeteria, so the teacher should be able to help. Also things like lemon rice, semiya upma and vada too for that matter turn cold, dry and hard by the time she must be eating coz you would have made them at 5.30-6 and she’s eating around afternoon. Not great lunch box ideas, jmo. You could make simpler stuff and request the school staff to help her heat and eat. Another thing is are you feeding her at home and she’s supposed to eat by herself at school? So the issues? In that case encourage her to eat by herself in general too.

You go to pick her up and buy things? Assuming you are working and have no time to cook anything when you are picking her up, you could keep some bananas, strawberries and other berries available in your car when you pick her up, also some warm water in a flask and mix pediasure and let her drink.

Best wishes

Jas82688 likes this.
  9. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Ladies thank you all for your wonderful responses ..

Today I let her eat in school as she wished came to a deal like 3 days school 2 days Home she said ok ..

In previous Montessori school also she used to skip lunch we told teacher many times .. Her response was we are asking her to ear but she dint eat she looks here n there passes her time.. we are fed up complaining again n again there ..

I will talk to this class teacher also ..

She talks Like Telugu food English food .. Telugu food yucky ..

Yeah I feel like she wants the things which her friends are getting but we live in area where 50% kids are Asians n 6 out of 18 are Indians in her class so they might be bringing same stuff like her ..

She is very much interested in going to McDonalds Dunkin’ Donuts bagel shops starts crying if we go out we will go there I will eat food there .. let me tell you she will not finish even food there she eats friench fries I feel those are unhealthy ..

Anyway will apply all your suggestions n try all recipies mentioned here at home ..

Am not sure if kindergarten kids are allowed to heat the food and am worried what if food gets over heated she Doesbt even check that ..
    My second kid is also going to day care she is 19 mon old .. she eat rice dal gravy curries yogurt at home .. what should I pack her for lunch n breakfast ..?

10. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

She doesn’t drink milk .. pediatric suggested to give flovoured milk I offered her all including chocolate she did not like any .. I had to throw pediasure bottles ..