Career Change After 15 Yrs In Information Technology

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 22, 2018.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

I have long experience starting from my college to now with most experience in IT/Software Dev in US. But at this point, I am so tired keeping up with new technologies, interviews and answering to all kind of questions. Day I landed in US, career has been struggle with visa, not visa or this technology, that employer that location. I have been moving a lot.

Now I am 40 yrs and with toddler, and age catching up, I am giving up and losing energies to fight every interview I love technology and like learning, but its hard when you are looking for a job. In a job, you have self esteem and confidence that makes you move. So in US, and I do not know what else I can do.

I like software development, but with my experience and salary, I think its getting harder because they find much younger and cheaper skill set. So I am thinking to change my field or take some training but do not want to start from zero. So new skill/job which has mix of current skill set and something new.
    1. Management ? Btw, I am not a manager types person specially in completely new team. And I like to develop and grow to lead in same team instead of starting as manager in new domain.
    2. Architect? Again I am struggling for dev jobs forget about people giving me architect.
    3.I have interests in forensics or AI or robotics kind of programming. But those are completely different than my field. Forensics is completely different and does not require programming at all. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    PLK likes this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

How about working on developing your self esteem and confidence first ? Get more training certifications in your field so you are better equipped at interviews.
    Being a software dev manager has its own set of headaches, more responsibility , managing multiple teams and might involve traveling.
    Forensics will require bioinformatics skills but again you will need to have basic molecular biology knowledge. Plus I think be a US citizen to get a job , if you are not one. The pay scales are attractive only if you have a PhD.

You work remotely , a big advantage for people with kids. So if I were you, I would develop my skills in your field not move into forensics or management.

madras2018 and Archanaanchan like this.
  3. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 I am in the same boat as you. I want to take up a remote job (in IT only) but not sure how to find for one. I am on visa that makes the things harder. @Sandycandy do you have any inputs about how to find a remote job?

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Not sure what’s the best way to find a remote position. Through a consulting company maybe .

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Do you have any particular reason for remote job and are u looking 100% remote? Also are u in IT development or manager/ test ?
    So IMO, 100% does not work well with IT dev, though for managerial roles, its fine. Also at times, you might start feeling bored or isolated. But yes, it works well for your family. You can be in your messy hair and PJs till they are out of door and shower in lunch time and wasting less time in commute etc.
    As another poster said, through consultancies, you can find remote job, however for employees, companies usually prefer to have desk employee which means it could be 90% remote but they usually have space assigned. There are some companies known to be very good at remote but then its not easy to get in. Also depends on skill you have, skills they need and competition.

6. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Can you give consultancy names in India which assist in getting remote jobs..

7. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

You can try sites like www.upwork.com, fiverr.com, LinkedIn to get remote jobs. Its tough to get the first remote job though. After first job, things get easier since that ratings/job shows up on site. I work 100% remotely in software dev through upwork and other clients I made via LinkedIn. You can also ask previous colleagues for work.

Pros of working remotely - can look after family/child, no commuting time, for me as a single parent its easier to manage things working from home, pays well if you are Indian working for clients from other countries like US/Europe. No office politics to deal with. For me - struggling with my ongoing divorce, I have frequent emotional upheaval, working remotely allows me to handle those and maintain my privacy without effecting work.

Cons - Its gets very tiring as we try to juggle home/work simultaneously, its hard to get quiet environment to work with my kid, no experience letter (for Indian scenario), hard to take out hours required to work - end up working half the night. I couldn't find any managerial job that was remote/ didn't involve travel. Hence have to accept dev jobs, with more than a decade of IT experience. Tends to get lonely - I miss interacting with colleagues in real time

8. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

How about jobs like IT Manager with an end user who needs to maintain their software/hardware or as a functional consultant/ product manager instead of IT consultant ?