1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Less Weight Gain Ebf Baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by lavii, Aug 24, 2018.

1. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Dear Ilites,
    Need your urgent help.
    My LO is 90 days old and Ebf .Her birth weight is 3.6 kgs and current weight is 5 kgs .Doc was not happy with her weight gain and confirmed if feeding issues are there .When I assured him no issues he did throid test to baby.Blood test came normal and no thyroid issues found .Now he said in one more month if she doesn't go till 5.5 or 6 there could be some major issue . Suggested me to give top feed and my baby is not taking bottle .Tried different formulas Similac , Nan pro, farex formula also tried different bottles but still she isn't taking bottle feed .Not sure where to check what to do .This is my second baby .I am extremely scared when I look at online articles on causes related to low weight gain ...Please help

2. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

hey.. Mostly babies gain 500- 700 gm monthly for 1st 6 month.. thats what i read online..

I think its normal for your baby.. Dont know Why doctor said not gaining much weight...

Is she passing urine 7 - 8 times in a day ???

Then i think its fine.. As initially baby loose some birth weight and then they start gaining ....

3. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

Have you done any stool test..
    Does her stool have any mucus or frothy...

I faced similar issue with my second baby.. she was on ebf and slow weight gain.. Her stool was very watery and had mucus and frothy.. Sometimes had sour smell... I just stoped all dairy product.. No milk, ghee, chees, butter nothing.. Now she is good and gaining waight gradually... Still she looks small but weight is ok as per percentile chart and she is still on ebf only..

Even hindmilk foremilk imbalance may cause slow weight gain.. You can change your feeding patern accordingly..

Since your baby is 3 months old you can very well start giving formula.. If she refuses bottle try giving via spoon...

To practice bottle first few times give expressed bm via bottle...

Dont worry your baby will be fine soon.. As of now give formula via spoon

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Thanks @sonal1611

Yes her pee count is 8-10 times but poop count is once a day and sometimes once in 2-3 days.When I checked with doc regarding poop count he said it's common for Ebf baby and not to worry

5. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Thanks @SpritualSoul
    Poop does not have mucus but appears frothy.Will try avoiding milk substances for 1-2 days and check if it's fit.
    Regarding bottlefeeding tried using spoon but she is still spitting out milk.As Suggested will try expressing milk and give bottle to see if she accepts it

6. BiriyaniAroma

BiriyaniAroma Silver IL'ite

Trying bottle feed or other formula food for 90 days old baby is a crime.

A 90 days old baby should not , should not and should not be given anything other than mother's milk.

connect with your doctor ...confirm the above and come back here. Let us continue to interact

7. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

@BiriyaniAroma Thanks for replying .As mentioned doctor suggested to give top feed .She is Ebf since day 1 .While I am against giving formula as per doc Suggestion tried bottle due to weight gain issues

8. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Giving formula or bottle feed is not a "crime"..
    So many moms like me had insufficient mother milk or other issue and had to give formula in bottle..that doesn't make us criminals.
    Sometimes it become necessary to give top feed..
    Of course mother's milk is primary source of nutrition and formula is a supplement but no need to feel guilty about giving it.

drdiva, shravs3 and lavii like this.
  9. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Needtobestrong
    Much needed post .I am already made guilty by everyone around regarding my judgement on milksupply.Everyone at home feel I did not notice cues and neglected baby .i m on maternity leave and I am a pro breastfeeding person but if circustacircu are this and if my baby needs formula to put on healthy weight I will give her per doc recommendation.However baby is declining all efforts on feeding her Formula .I am very scared and concerned thinking what could be the reasons behind low weights gain.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  10. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

@lavii i guess ur supply is good on seeing the pee count.. You said baby is spitting formula tats because she is already full so dont doubt ur supply.. Def we have to find the reason for low weight gain..
    I guess it might be due to dairy intake by u.. Or lactose intolerance or hindmilk foremilk imbalance..
    I strongly doubt it might be due to dairy .. Stop all dairy product for 1 week.. In just 1 or 2 days u'll not see any diff .. It will take more than 5 days..

U can also do stool test just to get any clue for slow weight gain.. U've mentioned its frothy
    U need to do
    1.stool routine
    2. Reducing substance test
    Bot test togather cost just rs150.. Just go ahead u'll get some clue

Im just telling out of my experience.. Im not an expert.. So just suggesting