1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

yes those are golden memories aren't they. Me too, when I get to see the first look of the printed picture, I would check me first.. :D. And the convenience of photo-shop!! :cheer:. Thank you for your comments Geeta, glad you liked the post.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  2. ILoveTulips

HAHAHA, that's so funny!!! Yes i do remember saving even the negatives and then from the negatives finding out the original picture. There were times when a negative is left without developing and keep wondering how the picture would have looked like. Thank you for your comment Rihana. :)

3. ILoveTulips

Dear Vijima, I am very good, how are you? How are the grand children? I have lost so many pictures that I uploaded online in some websites , because I forgot their passwords, or have missed their warnings where it said, 'if you dont order at least one print a year all your photos will be removed'.. :anguished::anguished:. Same story with Yahoo Photos too. I didnt know Yahoo was closing down its Photos section, I missed so many warnings, and lost so many pictures taken around my wedding time. Some wedding related pictures were in CDs that wont open anymore. Fortunately the big wedding albums proudly smile at me from our wardrobe.

4. ILoveTulips

Srama, yes thats good idea to print the pictures. After losing so many of the pictures uploaded online, I make it a point to print them from time to time. I lose track of time looking at those pictures and remembering the moments. Thank you for your comments, glad that you liked the post. :)

5. ILoveTulips

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Very recently my mom found a picture and messaged me in Whatsapp. It is a group picture with my dad and his colleagues, I couldnt believe how thin, young, handsome he looked with big murukku meesai and thick curly hair. My dad could recollect every single person in the group though the picture was 45 years old. When you said about albums/pictures being Collector's item I remembered this photo. Haha, funny story on the drawing.. Thanks for sharing this Sir, and your comments for my post. :)

6. ILoveTulips

Dear Kamala ma, You are always generous in your praises, thank you so much, I am smiling ear to ear reading your reply. :) My mom still have a photo of me taken when I was 8 months old. Whenever I take the picture to have a look, my dad never fails to narrate the events of the evening when my mom and dad went to the studio, and how chubby I was, and how after taking the picture I had diarrhea and lost weight. He would say that story even now, and would never allow us to take my daughter (or my brother's daughter) to studio. Kannu Pattudum - he will say. I have never seen a polaraid camera. Thank you for your comments Kamala ma and remembering my other write-ups. Feels so good to read the appreciations. :)

kkrish likes this.
  7. ILoveTulips

Viswa Sir, that was lovely description of your family album. I too, like you, try to take as many photos as possible and would not want to miss any happy moment uncaptured. Nowadays Candid photos are a big hit in weddings, my brother opted that style for his wedding. Until then I didn't know the beauty of candid pictures. So much livelier than the standing-in-Attention photos. Thank you for your comments to this post, I am very glad that you liked this snippet.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. ILoveTulips

Ok Anu... :) Thank you for your appreciation. :blush:

9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT,

I think you are an old member of this forum, me guessing from the kind of FBs you are getting. I belong to a generation where owning a camera was a luxury, which many of us, belonging to the middle class, couldn’t afford. So there were less number of family photos which I still preserve them, take them out and get nostalgic about those wonderful moments I had with all those people who smile indulgently at me. Candid photos may be a rage now, but nothing to beat those sepia tainted photos, where women in puff sleeves and traditional saree stand upright behind their authoritative DH clad in turban, angavastram and all.

A wonderful write up it was.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan and ILoveTulips like this.
  10. ILoveTulips

Dear Agatha, Camera was luxury to us too then. My maternal grandmother, who I have seen only on a photo in our home, have the same puff sleeves and traditional saree you described. Many times I have stared the photo for minutes together, and try to imagine her personality.. What was she like? Was she a funny or strict person? Courageous or timid?

This reminds me of photo studio experiences, thank you for this.
    Trip to photo studio happens rarely when we need Passport size photos for application form, or a full-length photo to give groom's family. The photo session in photo studio is a whole different story. If we think twice, thrice in using a film on us, how much the photographer would think in using a film for a stranger? The excitement of taking a photo will fade in less than 5 mins after sitting in front of his camera, confusedly posing and upset to see the disappointed photographer because we didn't deliver the pose he expected. Anybody who grew up in Coimbatore in 90s and early 2000, would have had a bitter experience with IAB photographer in Gandhipuram. Whenever I bring up this studio I have heard many saying, 'Oh that tall dark man with such a horrible temper'. Walking into his studio would feel like going to Surgery. When he says, 'Ok... Smile... ' , for the love of life , I won't be able to remember how to smile. Without failing he would ask, 'Yemmaa Muzhikkira??' (Why are you staring Girl?). After few attempts he would settle with a smile-like something, then would shoot commands like, 'Let your shoulder down, Oh no Don't droop it so low! Turn left, Oh not too much! Lift your face a little bit, pchhh .. What? Are you searching something on the roof?? Not that much, just lift a little bit. Let your head tilt slightly towards right, oh not so much! kadavuley (Dear God)'. One look at my mom, she would say, 'Don't be shy'. But my mind voice would be, 'It's not Shy amma, its a cry for help'. When finally he finishes the photo and hand it to us, his mannerism would be like 'This is all I can get from you' and sure enough the photo would look like mugshot. That would explain why nobody seen smiling in the photos taken in old days.

@GeetaKashyap , @Rihana , @iyerviji , @Srama , @Cheeniya , @kkrish ,@Viswamitra ,@anushri ,@Agatha83
    I loved reading the memories you have shared, I invite you to share your photostudio experiences too... :)

Srama and kkrish like this.