1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

I was browsing through some recent pictures, oh so many of them, in my phone. There were (a) multiple clicks of single moment in the desperateness of getting the most perfect picture, (b) hundreds of clicks of just a week holiday among which 20-30 are worth saving, (c) zoomed clicks of the buildings or wall posters which awed me then, but I failed to recollect what inspired me to click them. This took me back to the days when we had analog camera, and how preciously we treated each and every film. I still remember the trip to Chennai, me and my mom bought a film roll before the trip and the shop keeper warned not to expose the film to direct sunlight, failing which we would lose the images on the films. That got us very scared, as there was no google to confirm the validity of his statement. We decided not to get another roll as we might erase the images while switching one roll to another. We were so cautious, asked the shop keeper to add the roll himself, and my mom carefully wrapped the camera with a small turkey towel lest the shutter might open itself if its button is brushed against some object in the bag.

I remember how carefully, and diligently we spent the 50 precious photos that we can take in the 4-day long trip. Every time me and my brother want to take a picture, we ask our mom’s permission and she would ask series of questions to confirm if we really need to use one film in that place, or do we want to save it for next location? Once a decision is made, my mom would open the bag, and ever so carefully unwrap the turkey towel, bring the camera out to take our picture. Me and my brother would be roused with excitement like a cockroach on its back, trying to decide the pose & location before my mom change her mind. We have only one chance! No multiple clicks - you closed your eyes, you closed your eyes. No chance to check, no chance to correct. I used to never believe that one can waste that precious films to capture buildings, or some flowers.

The silver lining to the sadness of reaching the end of the trip, is that we get to develop the pictures. No matter how tired we are, we would take a bus to Townhall to find a best shop to get the prints. How excited we were when the heavy, bulky envelope is handed over to us. I don’t remember I disliked (or liked less) any picture in that bundle. I might have have my eyes closed, missed to smile, or some tourist blocked the view behind - not important. The only thing that matters is that i have the memory of my holidays, and happy that I have the moment in my hand. We still have those pictures locked in the wardrobe’s safety locker. Many years have passed, many houses, cities we have moved, these pictures travelled with us. Not sure how many times we remember to look at the unprinted Digital pictures we have shot in our smart phones. You click one picture, and its backed up in so many places - Drives, Clouds - whether you want it or not. Worthless redundant images using up Gigabytes of memory - amidst of it the true happiness of ‘capturing the moment’ lost.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful write up capturing the excitement of yesteryears. I too have so many memories of waiting with excitement and viewing the photographs repeatedly trying to see my face and its expression! (And secretly admiring myself and waiting for others to compliment!) Today we manage to zoom and even photo-edit! Even now watching old photographs is a favourite pastime of mine.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A lovely write-up. I happen to be wading through hundreds of pictures of a summer vacation trying to choose a few to post on FB. Family thinks I am having "me-time"! The photos are from all mobile phones. And not sorted by date over a 7 day vacation. DH walks by and says why are you glaring at the pictures. : ) I asked him and kids to help select, they quickly disappeared like a distracted child's ice cream melts away on a sunny day.

When I look at old photos, there are two layers of memories. The photo itself is a memory, and a memory around the photo. If I focus and remove extra thought and there is silence around me, I can almost go back to that moment in time. When the photo was taken, the sun shining, warnings to not shut eyes, what who was saying, the hum of conversation before, during and after the photo.

I was recently looking at negatives of the photos. And remembered one incident in which we wanted copies of a few photos, so cut just those negatives and took them to the photo studio. : ) : ) Studio wala was so mad at us. They used to take so much pride in their work. He told us how to take proper care of the negatives. I still remember the ceremony of listing which negatives we want copies of, and how many each. Arriving at the grand total, and then, seeing how to cut down the cost.

Still had analog camera when first one was born. Oh my.. the struggle to get good pictures of a baby and toddler. Luckily by then, the cost had come down.

Nice snippet, ILT. Brought back beautiful memories.

ILoveTulips, messedup and PavithraS like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Tulips

How are you, glad to see your awesome post after along time which brought me memories. I had got a camera for working for twenty five years . I never used to give my children thinking they will spoil it. I also like to go through the old photos which brings sweet memories. Now a days evrything in facebooketc. No printouts

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Very nicely written @ILoveTulips. Indeed the joy we get when we flip through an album is immeasurable, no matter how many ever pictures we take now. Those days they were very different. I am trying to create albums for my family now, weeding all the unwanted pictures. I see a lot of youngsters these days taking lessons to learn the old way of taking pictures and developing them even!

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Albums! When I hear the word, i get the heebee-jeebees. I have loads and loads of them and every time I got a transfer order, my problem was always to get hold of a spacious house in order to store my family photos. My wedding album consists of just 30 odd black and white pictures and they have become collector's item in the family.
    Talking of pictures, I remember that when I was in my 40's I met this guy in Marina. He was a native artist who professed that he could draw your picture in 5 minutes flat. I became curious and asked him to draw my picture. A rupee changed hands. I sat in front of him and he started drawing my picture. When he finished it, it looked like a cross between a hyena and hippo. This is the story of Dorian Gray Cheeniya!

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@ILoveTulips
    Wow! It's been so long since I read your posts. I was so happy just to see your name pop up and the subject was just as delightful.
    With smartphones we do get the "instant gratification" of freezing wonderful moments but still the pleasure of handling a photo is something else.
    I also remember the Polaroid camera was such a hit in one of our family functions where we could see the pictures immediately without waiting for film to develop.
    Also now we don't have the pleasure of saving loose change in the empty film roll canisters.
    Thank you for this lovely post sending us through memory lane.
    You must write more often. I cannot forget your fabulous suspense story and also your winning article written about the rainbow.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Thyagarajan, ILoveTulips and puni88 like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amen!

ILoveTulips, puni88 and kkrish like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@ILoveTulips,

What a wonderful past memory you have shared. I agree with @kkrish and @Cheeniya Sir that you should write more often. When we were growing up, we had only a black and white camera 1960s and my father used to take photographs of us playing cricket and various important occasions. We had an album of my father (all photographs in black and white) taken when they were very young (1940s). They had my photograph sunbathing when I was 6 months old, playing carom board when I was 3 years old, a photograph displaying me wearing a nice boy's dress but with long hair nicely tied into two parts (to satisfy my mother's desire to raise a girl), etc. This album still remains in our house in Adyar. My grandfather's picture when he was principal of an Engineering college in Chennai was in this album as well.

Remembering there was only one copy existed of this album, I got into the habit of creating multiple copies of my own family. In 2008, we went on memorable cruise around Mediterranean sea and captured several moments of our family together celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. My son was 20 years old at that time and enjoyed the cruise so much. We have over 1,000 photographs and we ended up buying a memory card in a shop located in Vatican. I have several albums of my son growing up and how his hairstyle changed over a period of time.

You brought some great memories.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and ILoveTulips like this.
  10. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

ILT, feels so good to read your write-ups. You are a very good narrator.. will come back n post my review..

ILoveTulips likes this.