1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Relationship With Mil? Share The Little Tips/tricks/strategies

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by alady2018, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Forgiveness does not change the past; but, it has all the potential to change the future.

Only strong ones can forgive, it is the power of love that enables one to forgive and it is a way to let go of the past. Forgiveness is not easy; at times more painful than the wound one suffered; yet, there is no peace without forgiveness.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Excellent practical tips . Adding a few more.
    • Look for gaps and try to fill in . My MIL does not have daughters. I did not realize the full impact of what that meant until I got married . Having married into a very traditional household where men primarily take care of things outside home she was pretty much left to her devices to take care of her home. No one to consult with ,share her feelings or even give her company about even routine things like shopping ,decoration or even kitchen stuff. FIL and her sons have zero patience with shopping for the usual girly stuff..saris,decorative stuff jewelry.I did not try to be her daughter. Just another lady in the house. Someone she can talk to about choice of menu or go shopping or just lend a hand in the kitchen. I would go with her everywhere. She is generous to a fault and we would come back home loaded with shopping bags .I still look forward to my shopping trips with her during my india trips and most of the time ditch hubby and go with her and bhabhi. They are lot more fun.:cheer:
    • There is a 1 b to this. Most men in my household (parents and in-laws side) are not involved in social niceties like remembering and wishing on birthdays/annivs, send gifts to nephews and nieces ,parents etc. I could have easily stayed away from it and DH would be clueless. Would have made no diff to FIL or BIL but my MIL is a little girl at heart and it would have hurt her. So no matter what I make sure to track and remind DH to call on all imp events send gifts etc. MIL knows her sons only too well and over the years has been very appreciative of it.
    • What happens between us stays between us. DH family is large ..I mean really really large. It has its pluses and minuses. Large get togethers during weddings etc meant there was the inevitable gossip . As a new DIL I was gently probed to see how my MIL was treating me and if I could share some spicy tidbits. Oh believe me it was tempting to talk ..to offload what was on my mind. Living in a joint family was not easy. I resisted the urge to say anything about my MIL. MIL too. Very classy woman . I overheard her once when the probing was going in the reverse direction to get some gossip about me “Oh how is life as a new MIL with 2 DILs? Have they displaced u already?” Pat came the reply from MIL ”Ayyo but I don’t have DILs no I only have 2 daughters” and changed the topic. Resist the urge to complain about ur PIL to outsiders .If things circle back it will cause irreparable damage to the relationship.
    • I ask myself two questions before I fume and fret over anything with her. If this was my mother will I be ok with it? Of course its tempting to think to oneself - but …but…. amma would never do this. Agreed but if she did then what? Would I be happy with my brother if he did this to amma what I am asking now of DH. Between the two questions the answer usually is to let go and move on or at the very least temper by reaction.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Well done !
    That was exactly my point when I narrated the incident in post #14.

justanothergirl likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is exactly what I do whenever there is a conflict between myself and PILs. This often make me to stay quiet and eventually ignore the problem.
    But this has never made my MIL understand how classy her DIL is, instead she takes them as my weakness to gossip more and more about me without having to worry.
    Yet, I couldn't do anything as such given the fact that I was raised by a classy mom.
    Recently my youngest co-sis gave it back nicely on MIL's face, and she didn't stop at that. She talked **** about MIL, their dirty secrets, and gossips with everyone. Ya, MIL's family is very large and many of them got to hear the dirty stuff my co-sis shared about MIL.
    That shut my MIL for sure. She paid the price for what she has been doing all these while.
    And that's when she decided to stop bad mouthing about me, rather comparing the 3 DILs only to say I am the best.
    Again, my reaction remains the same. I just ignore it as if nothing happened.

I wish all the MILs are like JAG's MILs or like my SIL's MIL (ya, my mom).
    My mom always think about her son and his emotions/comforts before she enter into any arguments with SIL. She says, whatever the issue it may be, ultimately it is my son, who would be throne in between his wife and mom.
    And like JAG questions, she too asks the same question to herself before finding faults. Will I take it serious if this was my DD? Obviously the answer is NO. Then why would I find fault when my DIL does it.

Blessed are the people who have classy MILs. But never mind, even with evil MILs, people like me are blessed with patience, tactics, which eventually make us stronger in life.

shreepriya likes this.
  5. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

Hi @SinghManisha You've expressed much in a brief few words. The last one is especially poignant - their tastes may be very different, but it *is* so important to express how much we love their gifts. I haven't been doing this justice - thank you very much for the reminder. I also like the simple cheat sheet - I need to mentally make note of:

If {I run out of things to say}:
    Choose from {food, sarees, jewelery, hobbies}

Sometimes, Instead of praising their child, I vent. Looks like I've been pretty naive - who likes to hear that ?! Now I know what topics to stay out of. :)

SinghManisha likes this.
  6. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

Hello @messedup Thanks for bringing up that thread. I wouldn't have found that in IL otherwise. It is such a special privilege to know such a private anecdote about another human being and their relationship via IL. And the narration without any obvious pride for their own service - was simply captured in the level of detail of the narration.

"Feel like they are elders and can say anything to you."

This reminded me of so many things. Whenever we used to visit our native place (a small town) - my grandparents siblings used to be sitting on the verandahs (they were also our neighbors) of their homes and could say anything to me - about my clothes, about my studies' choices, about anything, but it was always full of love, and I could laugh it off and simply accept, nod and feel so much bliss in their presence - despite some of their ideas for being from a difference generation (little trivial things, why is your pottu so small dear?, etc). I could reply, atleast I am wearing a pottu, Aachi - with a big, *true* smile. But when criticisms or even negation "through silence" is expressed by the in-laws it becomes so hard to take. We feel judged and branded and I brood over it for many days and bring it back to me.

So, note to self, even thought it may be obvious to some:
    ~~Feel they are elders and can say anything to you ~~ tra-la-la ~~ tra-la-la :)

messedup likes this.
  7. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

Hello @goldenhoney87 that was a splendid thread you linked to. In my understanding, the thread and the first comment talk of completing different but equally lovely things related to the original title "affection is a habit".

The OP's post appears to be coming from what it would mean to lose someone presence in your day-to-day life due to circumstances. Feels like a parent writing about the empty-nest-syndrome. But reassuring us that the affection despite all that it was fueled by presence, smell, touch, words, touch - will not die even if most of it's fuel is no more there, *because* you've made it a *habit*. That in itself is a beautiful view of things. Affection might turn in to longing, but the love continues to fill your heart.

And the first responder talks of how it may be possible to *create* affection by making it a habit. What a orthogonal but equally lovely idea. This comment says it's possible if we set our mind to it - we can make simple actions - stemming from simply an interest in making life better, and affection can blossom.

Thank you for giving me a chance to ponder about this!

8. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

So many golden points here, @sheztheone!

You know this is what makes IL an amazing community, your realization over 10 years (!), shared with me (an unknown stranger) - giving me time and thought in your mind, over a weekend. Thank you!

"Do not bend over backwards to please them in the beginning."

I did go head-over-heals initially - because I had the time, mental space, energy and fully wanted to do so. And then I couldn't believe it when I was "judged". It felt so unfair but I realize we have to set the pace initially. Looking back if I knew your words - it would have helped. :)

"Be yourself with them. This is important for a smooth relationship in the longer run a they have less surprises later on."

oh, how true!! we tend to be much more accomodating in the beginning. Just like in any other relationship - we put our best foot forward. We are willing to bend our principles and beliefs to accomodate new views willingly and excited (just like in the beginning of any new relationship - the honeymoon period). But then this is not sustainable in the long run.

"When I asked him why he said that, he laid out details which I myself had not paid attention too, but had just done naturally. Kids are a lot more perceptive than we think, and I realized that we are setting an example for them through everything we do."

This brought tears to my eyes. For a child to have observed the subtle differences, and have thought about it and shared it with you - you are truly such a good role model to your child and an inspiration to me. And you've raised such a perceptive child - kudos to you, dear. And you know - he is going to call "BS" on anyone who thinks/says its not possible for folks to get along well their in-laws. "My mother did it so well! - he will feel and think with pride" To see a living example of "how" its done is the most empowering thing to do for a child.

yellowmango and sheztheone like this.
  9. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

alady2018, thanks for your very kind post:) Some I learned the easy way some the hard way and a lot still learning!

I have been inspired so much by IL, there are so many gems among the posts and it is indeed great that we are able to guide and inspire each other virtually; without even knowing who the other person is.
    More power to all ILs!

Anisu likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Don't bend over to impress in the begining.
    Do what you can with a smile, without resentment .
    If you feel you can take on more work later on....do that. It is easier to start slow and take on more responsibility later than the other way round.

Let them vent to close ones about you without feeling resentment . Everyone needs to vent or people have bigger meltdowns.
    You also vent to your people ,they also have the same need.

Don't prejudge based on others experience.

Praise their cooking . Mine is a very good cook and I always praise her cooking .

Appreciate the gifts they give even if they don't do the same .

nakshatra1 and messedup like this.