Mental Health And Worshipping God

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Hope20, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Hope20

Hope20 New IL'ite

Hi All,

This is my first thread. I am looking for some support. Can someone throw some light on below topic?
    I have been feeling mental health issues like depression and anxiety from many years. I recently started seriosly worshipping Saibaba. Does anyone have any experience with such situation and did worshipping any particular God gave you relief?

Thanks.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Have heart OP. Realizing that you want to improve yourself is the first step in right direction which you have already taken. Daily find reasons to thank God - for waking you up in the morning, for giving sunshine, rain, birds chirping, food, being able to read and write, for being people around you for whom you can cook, smile with. Keep thanking god for everything. This will lift your mood and make you happy. Don’t feel yourself alone. Come to this forum often and share your thought, views. This will make you feel involved.

ranju5 and mimi77 like this.
  3. Hope20

Hope20 New IL'ite

Thank you for your reply.

4. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

Try meditating for 15-20 minutes daily. Eat proper diet and exercise. Go out and get fresh air. Listen to good music. Every ones belief system is different. Stick to what you believe and follow that provides you comfort. If reading about Saibaba and following spiritual practices help you and lift you up do it happily. All will be well. Not to worry.

nakshatra1 and Hope20 like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Praying and worshipping can offer immense benefits depending on your attitude and the extent to which you can surrender.
    *An attitude of surrender and complete faith in the higher power can lift weight off your chest. You feel He is with you to support you in every way in this journey of life. That offers a tremendous feel good sense. This also helps you to accept whatever happens with equanimity because you know, He is there to take care of you.
    * When we chant or focus fully, it offers meditative benefits like calming the mind and release of endorphins . (feel good hormones)
    *Offering a particular coloured flowers or doing repetitive functions as in 'archana', ringing the bell etc again offers meditative benefits. The troubling thoughts stop as the mind has an active activity to pursue.

In short, you will subconsciously give up micro-planning and allow natural laws to take over. This frees your mind and reduces a lot of your anxieties and worries.

Prayer beads in all religions, dancing as in Hare Rama Hare Krishna sect n Sufi sects, singing bhajans or chanting in some Buddhist sects have the same basic concepts.

Don't have too much of expectations within a time frame, that will dissuade you in your worship. Simply accept whatever happens as His will; this will help you develop patience and equanimity.

God bless.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    peddadas, Srama, salad and 8 others like this.
  6. Hope20

Hope20 New IL'ite

Thank you for your support.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Just a suggestion... Taking medical treatment along with praying, would be more helpful.

8. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

"Depression and anxiety from many years" kinda Red flag. Need info on the above line like u diagonised with a doctor or therapist or just u relating symptoms and feeling so? If diagnoised i think u shud follow the measures what they ve prescribed beside praying God! Not all are related to God now a days!!

9. Hope20

Hope20 New IL'ite

I was diagnosed with both by psychiatrist and therapist. My issue is I have experience with antidepressants and they dont really solve the root cause. If I start them again, I will likely be on them for my entire life. Also, I am trying alternative supplements. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience where it helped them along with all the other helpful things mentioned here.

10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

depression is an chemical imbalance. medication is necessary. BUT big BUT :) .. medication and alternative healthy life cycle helps a lot. exercise, meditation . then periodic review , reduce the dosage and intensity of the medication.

stopping the medication abruptly is not good either too.