1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell -sequel

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Aug 13, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, peddadas.

2. GeetaKashyap

Thank you, kkrish.:)

3. GeetaKashyap

Thank you, GH.

4. GeetaKashyap

Thank you, muggs, :worship2:

5. GeetaKashyap

Surprise! Thank you, BB.

6. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Perfect sequel, Geeta ma'am :cheer::cheer:thank you for bringing him back.

You had very well captured the emotions of all the three ladies...esply lata aunt's emotions were realistically portrayed :clap2::clap2: Sridhar uncle Sridhar unlce etholi please :lol::lol: (wake up) CHEENU IS BACK HOME!!! :banana::banana:

Curious to hear what Cheenu got to say about the evening!!

Thank you and keep rocking.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

Thank you for this dynamic feedback, Adharv.

8. GeetaKashyap

Part 4

“After my talk with Amma, as I waited for the traffic jam to clear, I called up my mechanic, Rajesh, as my bike’s gear was having an issue. Since I am flying out today, I asked him to meet me near Minerva circle and collect the bike for repair and servicing. My plan was to take an auto rickshaw from there. I thought that would be good in case it started raining. But heavy rain started on the way and the bike issue also slowed me considerably. I was delayed and by 10:30-10:45 I managed to reach the Minerva circle and handed over the bike to Rajesh. This guy had waited for over two hours for me! As the rain was very heavy, I gave him my jerkin and the helmet also. After he left, I realized that my mobile, driving license and the ID were all left in the jerkin!”

“Tch…tch… that was bad!” Prerna said.

As Chinu spoke, I was barely present there; I heard every word but I was lost in a world of my own. I simply kept staring at Chinu and couldn’t take my eyes off him.

“There weren’t any autos there and those that were on the road were all engaged. I lost a lot of time there and since my mobile was not on me, I couldn’t call Amma. Luckily, an elderly man travelling till 4th block in an auto rickshaw offered me a lift.”

“Then what took you so many hours to come? Didn’t that man have a phone?”Seema asked.

“That’s where my next set of woes began, aunty. That uncle didn’t have a phone and the auto driver’s phone was discharged. The waterlogging, potholes along the road and the bumper to bumper traffic made our situation worse.”

“Bad luck, Chinu, In spite of having everything it looks like you were destined to suffer,” Prerna remarked.

“Climax to my story is when our auto suddenly hit a large pothole a little ahead of the South-end circle. Due to the sudden jerk, that uncle’s head hit the bar in front and he started bleeding profusely; I had to be with him till we reached his place. I gave him the first aid and stabilized him before starting from there. To my bad luck, I couldn’t spot a single vacant auto on the way and I had to walk all the way, halting in between whenever it rained heavy.”

“Bad roads add to the woes; one cannot even walk mindlessly these days. We have to watch every step as we walk. Last week while returning from work, I was not getting the auto rickshaw and as I walked trying to locate a vacant vehicle, I fell on the uneven footpath, spraining my ankle. Because I fell and I was in pain, someone stopped a vehicle forcefully and I got to go home easily.”

“Prerna, you never told me about it; how are you now?” Seema asked with concern,

“That was a minor issue, Seema. Luckily, I was better in a few hours,” Prerna answered.

As they continued to talk, Dwarki and Ajay returned.

“Hello, young man, glad to see you,” Dr Ajay patted Chinu’s back.

“Did you meet my mechanic, Rajesh? How is he?”

“Yes, we saw him. He has multiple fractures as he hit an open manhole. Your bike and the phone are badly damaged. That boy will be alright in a few days. Don’t worry, he will get the best treatment, I have done the needful.”

By then, Dwarki walked in and he was relieved to see Chinu. “Ajay must have told you about Rajesh. Tomorrow I will send some authorization letters; sign and give it to me. In your absence I can handle the legalities related to the accident,” he then turned to Prerna and said, “Your call informing about Chinu’s return was at the right time; it eased our pressure and we could return fast.”

“Young man, tell us why were you unduly delayed,” Ajay asked, settling on the sofa.

“Ah! That’s a long story. Please give me a minute, I have to make an urgent call and then I will tell you all about my today’s adventure.”

“A call? At this hour?” Prerna quizzed.

Chinu grinned and walked over to the balcony with Lata’s phone.

“Looks like the call is for that special person,” Prerna commented with a wide grin.

…..

…..

“Yeah, done, she was waiting for my call and I forgot to call her as soon as I reached home,” Chinu said, as he sat next to Ajay.

“SHE! Hmm…looks like SHE is someone very important! Seema teased Chinu.

“Mmm…look at him blushing!” Prerna made her observation with a naughty smile.

“Okay…Stop, will you? Let our young man tell us about her. Ladies, have some patience,” said Dwarki, offering mock support to Chinu.

Trying to control his embarrassment, Chinu tried to talk with a straight face but the looks on others faces made him blush and grin sheepishly. “Okay…okay…she is…Dr Vishnupriya, she was my junior in college.”

Everyone chorused, “Oooh!”

“Tell us a little more, we can’t hold our curiosity anymore,” Dwarki said.

“I thought Amma must have told you all, this afternoon I told her about Priya.”

“Hmm…PRIYA!” Prerna rolled her eyes.

“Chikki, you are in a mood to tease. Tomorrow she will be here at about 5 pm; I want all of you to meet her then.”

“At what time is the flight and when will you be starting from home?” Seema quizzed.

“My flight is at 1:30 am. Since a couple of friends will be meeting me at the airport, I want to be there before 9:30. After today’s experience, I don’t want to take any risk. I plan to leave home latest by 6:30. I don’t mind killing time at the airport. We can also have some food there.”

“Will Vishnupriya also come to the airport?” asked Ajay.

“No uncle. She wanted to but I refused. She has an engagement ceremony to attend this evening at the 8th block. She will meet us all for an hour and then go for the ceremony. I haven’t told Amma about this programme as yet, I will tell her when she is a bit better. Look at her dozing; I feel sorry for her, I gave her too much of stress last evening.”

“Relax, Chinu, she will be back to her selfie mood in a couple of hours. I think we should all be moving now,” Ajay got up signalling others also to get up.

“You are right. We can all get a couple of hours of rest,” Dwarki said.

“Chinu, take care and rest, for now, I will send breakfast by 8:30. Let Lata sleep as much as possible,” said Prerna as she followed Dwarki.

“Should I wish Good morning or Goodnight now? It is already 4 am! Bye, Chinu, take care,” Seema ruffled his hair as she left.

Chinu was relieved that he didn’t have to repeat the previous evening's story again. After seeing them off, he secured the doors and helped Lata to sleep comfortably on the sofa. The thought of Priya brought a smile to his lips and with pleasant thoughts, he spread himself on the other sofa and fell asleep soon after thinking about the hectic day ahead.

The next morning when Shridhar got out of his room, it was 6:00 am. He came into the living room looking for Lata and he was surprised to see lata and Chinu in deep sleep on the couch. Without disturbing them he went back to the bedroom.

After a while, Chinu woke up, made coffee and took it to Shridhar’s bedroom where he briefed his father about the previous night’s drama. Shridhar was relieved to see his son safe and he was thankful to their friends for the timely help.

I woke up all of a sudden and looked around. Finding the house quiet, once again, I was panic-stricken. I called out aloud, “Chinu, Cheenu…”

Chinu and Shridhar came rushing at once. I was glad to see my Chinu and I hugged him trying to control my tears. After a couple of minutes, I remembered I had not given coffee to them and struggled to get up.

“Mom, easy; don’t rush. Get up slowly,” Chinu said, helping me to get up and stabilize. “Mom, freshen up, today I will get coffee for you. We finished ours a while ago.”

I looked at Chinu with a sense of pride which only a mother can feel and understand and moved to the attached bathroom taking the support of Shridhar’s hand. By the time I freshened and changed into a gown, Chinu brought my coffee.

“Chinu, what do you want for breakfast? Dosey or uppit?”

“Don’t bother, Amma, Chikki will be sending the breakfast in a few minutes.”

“Oh! Why is she taking the trouble? I could have managed,” I mumbled but honestly, I was relieved. I sipped the coffee with great relish trying to shake off all the anxiety of the previous night.

As expected, Dwarki and Prerna brought breakfast on time which we all had together.

“So Chinu, what are your plans for the day?” Dwarki asked.

“Uncle, my packing has been taken care of totally. Since I lost my phone, I will have to go and get one. I am planning to go out around 11-11:30 to buy a phone.”

“We won’t allow you to go out anywhere,” Dwarki took out an iPhone from his coat and gave it to Chinu. “Two days back I had bought it, you can have it now.”

“Arre, Uncle, why all this?”

“Chinu, I won’t hear a word from you. We simply don’t want you to step out of the house till evening. Spend maximum time with your parents and we will be back at 5:00 in the evening,” said Dwarki, with a mischievous smile.

“What is the joke, Dwarki?” I asked.

“Oh! Looks like Chinu has not still spoken to you about it. A surprise is in store for both of you!” Prerna joined Dwarki’s laughter.

“Oh my God! You started again!” Chinu made a feeble protest.

“Okay, we won’t tease you, relax. We will take leave of you for now; otherwise, I will be delayed for work. See you at five in the evening,” Prerna got up and rushed out with Dwarki.

“Chinu, what were they talking about?” Shridhar asked.

“Hmm…well, Amma must have told you that yesterday I had gone to meet my friend, Dr Vishnupriya. I have invited her over for a short while this evening. She will be here at five. Later, she has an engagement party to attend.” Looking at his parents sceptically, he said, “Hope it is okay. I have invited Dwarki uncle, Chikki, Ajay uncle and Seema aunty also. Ever since I mentioned Priya’s name, they are in a mood to pull my leg.”

“Will she be coming over with her parents or…?”

“No Amma, she will be coming alone.”

Hearing this news, my mind again started planning for the evening and I said, “I better hurry, the evening will be hectic. Hope it doesn’t rain today and we will be able to reach the airport on time.”

“Amma, don’t worry, we have plenty of time on hand and let us keep Priya’s visit informal. I don’t want her to be conscious.”

“Have you already proposed and have her parent’s given their consent?” Shridhar asked.

“No Appa, I have not formalized anything. I have met her parents informally; both of them are professors at the University. Only after my return, we can move ahead.”

“For you, it may be simple; I am already excited to meet Priya. Let us make this day memorable for all,” I said and got up energetically. The unfolding of a newer event energized me. I suggested, “Before I start my day, Let us have a selfie to mark this happy moment.” Without any protest, Shridhar and Chinu cooperated in capturing that beautiful moment for eternity.

I once again rushed through the day after a simple lunch. There was so much to do; Chinu was busy with his last-minute preparations and phone calls. With the help of Meena, I prepared corn patties and a couple varieties of sandwiches. We ordered sweets for the evening from a well known sweet shop nearby. I wore a simple blue Mysore silk saree and took a selfie with Chinu before the others arrived.

Dr Vishnupriya arrived on time, by a cab. Looking at her I was convinced that she was the perfect partner for Chinu. Priya was a tall and slim girl with good features and a beautiful smile. Ajay, Seema, Dwarki and Prerna joined us and amidst our jovial chatter and laughter, we hardly realized how the time went flying. With her simple but elegant sense of dressing and intelligent conversation, Vishnupriya impressed us all. Shridhar appeared very happy and content. This, in turn, made me very happy.

After Vishnupriya left, we left to the airport. The absence of rains and our own happy mood did not allow us to be bothered by the minor traffic snarls. We were well ahead of our scheduled time. Even though the pain of parting was there, the joy of our son’s new journey to gain knowledge and expertise made us extremely happy and proud. As Chinu’s strong arms hugged me tightly before parting, I silently prayed God for the well being and success of my son. With mixed feelings and tears, we bid him farewell as he moved ahead to check in. I continued to pray to God for Chinu's safe journey and didn't forget to thank God for his benevolence. I realised how blessed we were after the traumatic events of yesterday. I looked at the peaceful countenance of Shridhar and I knew that he too was in conversation with the Almighty. As our driver drove, I looked around; everything felt so beautiful, almost a surreal calmness borne out of gratitude filled my heart. A while later, I gently placed my hand on Shridhar's hand and said, "Let us go to the temple and the orphanage in the evening. I want to make some offerings and thank God for his immense benevolence."

Shridhar nodded readily in agreement as if he too thought on the same lines.

I recalled the similar anxiety and the pride I had experienced the day Chinu started his schooling. I smiled as my present feelings were still the same. Shridhar and I consoled each other that it was just a matter of six months before Chinu would be back from his training and enter yet another beautiful phase of his life with Vishnupriya. As I stared at the calm and vacant road ahead from our car, I started mentally preparing a list of things to do; guest list, purchases to be made, changing the interiors, repainting of the house and so on; I had enough activities to keep myself busy till my Chinu’s arrival.

********************END********************

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    zales, Bhoonzee, Ammu2886 and 4 others like this.
  9. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Can I get Chikki's address please?? lol..this is lovely snippet!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Hello hello :hello: uncle aunty first thank Geeta ma'am for her generosity.... Illa andhre (otherwise) chinu's chapter would have been open ended....:cheer::cheer: cool finish Geeta ma'am :clap2::clap2: too happy :beer-toast1: chinnu's blushing moments and aunties pulling his legs was the highlights of the epi ....mention not parents care and love :worship2::worship2: perfect finish.

Thank you for the heartwarming sequel Geeta ma'am :sunglasses::thumbup::hearteyes: lively n lovely!!

peddadas and GeetaKashyap like this.