1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First Meeting

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SinghManisha, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I could not take my eyes off her . Clad in a shining grey silk saree that complemented her dusky skin tone and tall frame she looked at me. There was hope but there was fear. There was joy but there was some apprehension. It was but natural. She was handing her most prized possession to me. I was scared too. Would I take care of her precious treasure just as well as she did ? Would I make her happy or would I be a big disappointment. I speak Punjabi , she speaks Tamil. Would the chole and the rasam compliment each other on on the dining table? Or would the tanginess of the rasam overpower the chole ? Just when these thoughts did a Bharatnatyam in my head I felt a hand resting on my shoulder . It was firm but very reassuring . She smiled at me and said “you are my daughter”. I smiled back. I later found out that she could not stop smiling for a long time after that. She was going to be a mother- in -law after all.

I have been a silent member and have read innumerable posts about bad PIL’s. I wanted to share my positive experience . Thank you for reading.

vaidehi71, peddadas, shravs3 and 16 others like this.

2. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations! May your tribe increase many fold and hope we see many more such positive experiences :thumbsup:. You should write more often.

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

+1
    Simple and beautiful description of the beginning of a great relationship. Congrats!

4. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Wah wah ! Bhangra pao ji ! Congrats ! Enjoy this lovely roller coaster. Finally some MIL DIL love here on IL

shravs3, SinghManisha, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hearty Congrats Manisha!
    This Joie de vivre has no equal in life!
    God bless you!

SinghManisha and kkrish like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Manisha,

Your choice of words are excellent in writing the snippet. It would have been more appropriate to write this snippet in the Relationship Forum. But I have a question for you.

Really? In my view, the thought that the guy belongs to only one at a time causes considerable amount of pain and aggravation. They are two separate relationships right from the beginning, one shouldn't overlap with the other. If mother's love is strong and focused to seeing him happy in his married life, the perception changes dramatically to build relationship with his spouse as well. Physically living elsewhere after the wedding should make no difference to a mother.

Similarly, both spouses should never interfere in their respective relationships with the parents. In fact, they should facilitate to make it easier by eliminating any sense of insecurity. That is what loving couples do to each other. Whether it is access to the son/daughter/grandchildren, visits, financial help, emotional support, etc. should be equal to both set of parents. No one need to prove anything. Whether it is parents or adult children, both should be comfortable in interacting with the spouse's parents.

That is my view of getting into a wedlock.

Viswa

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @SinghManisha

I second @Lalithambigai 's sentiments.

This was exactly how I felt on my wedding day.
    My parents helped find my life partner, so he and his family were totally unknown.
    I resolved to not make my MIL feel unimportant in her son's life. So I always placed her first and took the rear seat.
    Though we were not "Chole and Rasam" the North and South Arcots did meet in the middle.

I could not make out if you are just entering married life. If so, I am sure the chole and rasam will be a world class combination. May God bless you both.

Thanks for the positive thread. Please post more such threads that restore our faith.

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@SinghManisha Congratulations .Lovely description of the relationship of MIL-DIL. If we add some spices to Chole yummy dish ready. Love and care helps to build a healthy relationship. So nicely brought out your thoughts in a snippet

SinghManisha, kkrish and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. SinghManisha

Thank you @Lalithambigai !! I hope to write more if my little boy’s let me !!

Lalithambigai likes this.
  10. SinghManisha

Thank you @GeetaKashyap !!!