1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift For Weddings

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by star90new, Jul 29, 2018.

1. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

hello ladies I am asking for myself and a friend. We have so many weddings to attend in the coming three months. Our own siblings, sis and bro in law , cousins and my friends sister is getting married.

I would like to what should be gifted in each case. I am from a middle class to upper middle class baground. What should I gift my friends sister on her wedding?
    Can you guys give some ideas?
    What should my friend gift her sister on her wedding day? What did you guys gift your sisters?

In September one of my cousin brothers is getting married. What do you think I should gift him? We are not very close. My friend is also accompanying me to the wedding. What should she gift him? Wedding and reception are both on the same day and usually gift is given on wedding eve pr reception functions. The very same month my husbands cousin brother is also getting married and he is kind of close. Is there any difference in gifting if the cousins elder to us?

In October my cousin sister is getting married and she is 3years younger to me.
    What should I get her. We are not very close but close enough.

Thankyou all. I never received any gifts from my elder cousins or younger cousins since I married early. So I have no idea.thank you all.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Generally,
    - the closer you are to the person, the more expensive your gifts are.

Siblings - Jewellery, Money, holiday package or something expensive

Cousins / relatives - Jewellery / Money - value varies depending on how close you are

Distant relatives / friends - Money or home decor / idols or pooja or religious items / kitchen items / glass wares as gifts

sindmani, star90new and pinky2cute like this.
  3. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the reply dear
    Any idea what amount for siblings and cousins in an upper middle class scenario ?
    Will 50k be enough for siblings and 20k for cousins? Or packages outside will be in lakhs right. How many grams of gold, in case we plan to give gold?

Is there any difference if its for an elder cousin? Another issue is I dint receive any gift from my elder cousins who wasnt married and my married younger cousin for my wedding. Thats why I ask if younger cousins gift or dont gift elder cousins?

4. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

No rules no regulations.
    It depends on how much you can afford to give and whether that person is close to you enough to make u want to give an expensive gift.

Whether they gave you or not doesn't matter if they are close to you. If not so close, then no point in discussing about how much to put in for the gifts. Just give what you can afford.

The value of gift doesn't matter as much as the value of your thoughts and feeling of your heart with which you want to give the gift.

sindmani and star90new like this.
  5. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

Don't pressure yourself much...
    you don't give just because you received and you don't give so you will receive.
    You give because you want to and you can afford to.

When giving a gift it should be your thought that counts and not the price tag attached to it.

star90new likes this.
  6. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Got it..
    Thanks for the reply..
    I asked this because we have had issues in our extended family regarding gifts..

7. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Thanks
    I asked as we have had issues in the extended family regarding gifts before.
    These days its hard to decide how much one can effort. If we save some more , we can get a even better life right. So if we spend a lakh , that one more lakh we have to work for reservation na. Thats why I am confused.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

There is really no rule as such. 3 of my cousins recently got married and in all cases, I bought them household items to make their life easy. The first cousin was moving into a brand new apartment with her hubby. So, basically she didn’t have any furniture. So, I bought her a small fridge. My sister bought her a beautiful coffee table.

The second one got married into a joint family. My sis and I pooled some money and bought her a roti-maker. This will help ease her pressure during dinner time. Third one was leaving india. We bought her a gift card to a mall where she could buy clothes for her upcoming trip.

9. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Yes that's why give what you can afford depending on "how close that person is to you".
    Suppose, if I earn 50k per month just for reference, and after all my expenses for that month, suppose I can save only 15k.
    Lets say my closest cousin's marriage is there who is almost like my sister then I would be more than happy to get a gift of worth 10k as she is closest to me...even if that meant I would just have 5k of savings for that month.

Now if its my distant cousin whom i have a not so close relation then probably I would just buy a gift worth 5k and save 10k for myself.
    Same goes for friends/ colleagues....

Its just so simple! Think of how close that person is n how much you are comfortable to shell out your savings/salary for that person.

10. vinuraj

vinuraj New IL'ite

It depends on how much you can afford to give and whether that person is close to you enough to make u want to give an expensive gift.