I Wish I Knew This Before Or I Had Done This Before

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Emarald, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Hello

Do you have anything you wish you had done before or knew before? It may be for your health or relationship or career or anything in your life. Please share

MythiliMurali likes this.

2. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

What i wish i knew before - When it comes to a marriage (or i suppose any relationship in general) - how to choose your battles, which battles to fight and which to let go.

September2015 and kaniths like this.
  3. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@Parry22 : I love the thread that you created .. I only wish I knew how my fate was..i always used to repent for my past days ..Even now i wish I got in to the period when I just came out from my college ..because from then my life changed and it seems to be a Rocky path :( my marital life seems to be topsy turvy and I have lots of unfulfilled dreams.. like everybody else I too wanted to know about my future and went to an astrologer but what he said my married life was good but it only seems to be the opposite of it.. Anyways I can't change the past but I always have the longing to be loved and live my married life happily.. But now I need to fight the battle all by myself and emerge out successfully as a person and not depending on anyone else..

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

A friend (in school) used to love separating the egg boiled in biryani and lace it with yogurt and eat.

Boiled egg and yogurt?! What an odd combination. I used to bang my head . She said, "She likes it that way". I liked my egg spicy and fried.

Years on, my tastes and urges and affinities flourished and turned out as intimate and solitary as that egg-yogurt combo. They were mine! They may be at odds with the conventionality, they may be befuddling to others but these notions and habits have been conceived in my personal image. I am not carried away with traditional prayers. Moral sermons put me to a snore. Fluffy movies scare me. I find the expanding universe very charming. I don't draw any fulfillment from motherhood and nurture. I don't comprehend bhajans or melodies or soul music. I prefer utterly smashed-up remix street songs. I am not a big fan of trekking and nature and wildlife. I prefer viewing them on television rather than visiting them in a safari. I don't hurry to swoop on tourist attractions. I prefer to laze in a corner cafe and tuck in my food. Cairo over Paris! Pyramids over tulips! Biryani over Banoffee Pie!

What am I hinting at ? Oh, Sheila Heti said it more eloquently.

Sheila Heti takes the much more subtle approach of mourning what is lost when someone finds themselves at odds with the mainstream. “There is a kind of sadness in not wanting the things that give so many other people their life’s meaning,” she writes. “There can be sadness at not living out a more universal story – the supposed life cycle.”

.... in continuation, there is also certain exultation when you eventually figure out things that give you and only you happiness though they are not of much meaning to anyone beside you in the fabled and universal life cycle. Armed with that knowledge, one must seek that at-odds freak in us and rather than bleach to hide its color, whack to change its form or sweep to deny its presence, we must embrace that true and intimate knowledge about ourselves — this is me, this is how I like it, this is how I want it, and this is how I would like to progress in my life — yes, that yucky egg and yogurt.

upload_2018-7-14_12-20-38.png

I wish as a kid I was as assured as I am today of my needs and amusement. The cherished form of living is being spontaneous to one's style and choice rather than blend in someone else's prescribed and thoughtful conformity. I Wish I Knew This Before Or I Had Done This Before (as a kid).

upload_2018-7-14_12-21-16.png

GoneGirl likes this.
  5. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I wish I knew how healthy and fit I was, when I lost some weight but was unhappy & wanted to lose even more weight. I wish I appreciated the me then because as time went on, instead of losing more weight, I gained weight. Now I look back at my old pic & say "oh I wasn't so bad looking then why did I feel so ugly".

I wish I knew that I was going to be stuck living in inlaws for years because prior to marriage I agreed for a short stay at my inlaws to make the wedding process easier & give respect to his family. Little did I know that short stay was going to turn into years. I never fully settled down thinking this is temporary set up but after 4 years I am still not settled down. Wish I put my foot down

I wish I continued to take "fun" classes to learn something new because time slowly adds up & next thing you know, its been 10 years and you have not learned anything new.

6. Jemma

Jemma New IL'ite

I wish I could travel all by myself..I wish I had saved some money cause there is nothin better than financial security.>I have learnt the hard way...I have started working on saving some money and hopefully will fulfil my desire to do solo travelling.