1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Usha Kanna

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

78 year old Usha Kanna is the third female Music Director after Jaddan Bai and Saraswathi Devi. She started her musical journey with the super hit movie Dil Deke Dekho in 1959. That movie made her a celebrity instantly. It was also the movie that launched Asha Parekh into the super league. She has been active in the musical journey though her last movie came out in 2003. She has also done music for three Malayalam movies and the songs are so lilting that people of Kerala still wonder why she did not get more chances.
    Let us now listen to her songs:

From her first movie Dil Deke Dekho. See how pretty Asha Parekh was in the movie. She is now 76! When Usha Kanna directed the music for the movie, she was just 18. And Rafi sounds great in this hit song.

From Ek Sapera Ek Lutera (1965) Feroz Khan was the hero of the movie.

She got the Filmfare Award for this movie in 1983. See how beautiful and sprightly Padmini Kolapuri is in the movie. I wonder why we don't see her mush!

This song from Hum Industani (1961) by Mukesh became a huge hit. Sunil Dutt acted so well in this movie!
    The heroine of the movie was Asha Parekh.

From the Malayalam movie Moodal Manju sung by S.Janaki. The hero Prem Nazir holds two Guinness World Records: for playing the lead role in a record 725 films, and for playing opposite the same heroine in 130 films (with Sheela). He did this in his life span of 62 ears.

Laks09, Mistt, Agatha83 and 2 others like this.

2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I am happy to be the first to comment on this wonderful thread about Usha Khanna. Decades back the music industry was a male dominant one, where very few female music directors could enter and survive. it was under these circumstances, that Usha kahnna who wanted to do playback singing, was recommended by Op Nayyar to the producer of DIL Dekho Dekho, a film which was a runaway success. That is why you can see the influence of OPN in her first film!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

a beautiful song rendered by jesudas from the film 'Sajan Bina Suahgan'

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Film: Dil Deke Dekho. Singers: Mohammed Rafi and Asha Bhonsle.

Film: Dada. A song by Yesudas.

Film: Dil Pardesi Ho Gaya. A song by Sonu Nigam. The lyrics are very relevant in today's divisive politics.

Her tremendous success in a male-dominated music industry is laudable. She remained active for nearly 45 years!

Film: Hum Hindustani. A song by Mukesh. This is one of my all-time favourites.

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Uncle,
    It is nice to read your writing on Usha Kanna jee. We have a few female music directors and she remained active for more than 3 decades ( source:- Wiki).
    Me too like "Hum tum sur ye sama" and dil deke dheko. She gave the best music according to Shammi Kapoor style in that song.

I love the song "zindagi pyar kaa geeth " from movie souten. It is so related to real life.

Adding couple of Usha jee's music composition.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  6. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Fortunately this is true only of film music. I must find out if there was any female Music Director in Tamil.
    During my youth the female Trinity, MS, DK Pattammal and MLV ruled the music field. But it cannot be denied that Music, be it classical or film, grew on the shoulders of male conductors.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Jesudass is a synonym for soulful music. He is at his best when rendering Carnatic Music. He is the disciple of Chembai but unlike his Guru he always carries printed versions of the songs he is about to sing. Previously it used to be loads of paper but now he uses the electronic version.

8. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    A lovely selection indeed. Thank you.
    Chodo Kalki Bathen is however a repeat from my OP. But it is worth repeating!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    My dear Mistt
    A lovely selection. the song from Aap To Aise Na The is a beautiful number. I like the star Ranjeeta a lot.
    'She married Raj Masand and has a son named Sky. Ranjeeta lives with her husband Raj and son Sky in Norfolk, Virginia, US. They own a series of 7-Eleven stores in Virginia. Sky is a tennis player and studied in college in the US. She was associated with an International School in Pune, handling Public Relations in the mid-2000s, before moving to the US.' -Wikipedia
    Sri

Mistt likes this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Chodo kalki bathein was repeated on purpose after my selection of songs and the comment. Sir, this was to distinguish it from the others and say how much it means to me; it overwhelms me with pride for my nation and motivates me.:)

Cheeniya likes this.