1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Battle Of The Bulge

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Indian army is now on to fight one of the toughest battles it has faced, battle of the bulge. Nope, it is not a battle against any country and no city is going to be attacked—except obesity.

Yep! Army chief Bipin Rawat has declared war against obesity among the officers and men. Massive majors, colossal colonels and heaqvy havildars will face the stick, if they don’t fight the battle of the bulge and win hands down against their pot bellie annihilating them completely.

Not only the men in combat duties but even army doctors who certify fat as fit will face the good general’s wrath.

Must say this is the toughest battle, army has ever faced. Reduce the tummy? Easier said than done. We belong to a culture where a protruding tummy is still considered a sign of prosperity depite mushrooming gyms and fitness centres. A lean and mean look is considered unhealthy.

Thin guys arte considered sinister. Remember what Julius Caesar said to Mark Antony? Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar I mean.. “Let me have men about me that are fat. Yond Cassius has a len and hungry look.’ Fat men were considered trustworthy. Too lazy to lift a knife and stab you in the back.

Bue Caesar never considered the possibility of the coliseum collapsing during some gladiatorial game and all the fat men falling on him and crushing him. But to be fair coliseum was not build by modern day contractors who are probably inspired by house of cards and a large part of it still stands proudly even after a couple of millennia.

Aw forget the army. Caesar and his fatsos. Take my own case . Once I brought down my weight from a healthy 80 plus kilos to a not so healthy 58 kg through rigorous fitness training. I received q uite a lot of what sounded almost like condolence messages with everyone worried sick about my health.. Someone told me that behind my back, the speculation ranged from TB to HI/AIDS

Now regular exercising keeps my weight around 70 kg with perfect height –weight ratio for a guy of my height. Bit few months ago the weight came down to 66 kg and the wife in her wisdom thought I suffered from some kind of a thyroid complication. She gavce up the idea only when I added a few more kilos though she frowns upon obesity..

Now let us get back to my “former “healthy” 89 plus weight. I owre it all to my dear mom. She belonged to a generation which saw virtue in obesity like Julius Caesar. She thought I was underweight (IK think I was of perfectly normal weight as a kid). So my breakfast included eggs with honey and full cream milk. Other meals included stuffed paranthas dripping with ghee. And Lord Ganesha with his pot belly was held up for me as a rile model. And in no time I got bloated like a balloon.

Marriage and an extremely lean wife who frowned upon my size like General Rawat now frowns upon his pot-bellied subordinates and a gym that came up in my club changed things radically and I started shedding kilo after kilo under my mom’s disapproving eye.

That is why I see the Battle of the Bulge as the toughest battle the Indian army will ever face in a country where obesity of a man iss still considered a sign of prosperity of the groom’s family in the marriage market where “khaata peetha ghar ka ladka” (boy from well fed family ) is still very much in demand and lot of people still probably think obesity is some kind of a city.

It is like the story of Sisyphus who pushed a boulder up a slope only to have it roll down again . He is condemned to eternally push the boulder up the slope. Army chaps shed loads of weight and win the battle of the Bulge. But it is only a pyrrhic victory. Go home for vacation ad mommy dearest worried that sonny boy is not being fed properly by the army stuffs him with ghee rich, stuffed parathas, not to speak of other calorific comestibles. They return to duty overweight and hapless Sisyphus starts pushing his boulder up the slope again. Battle of the Bulge round two.

To get out of this fix, I suggest army should not only target the officers and men and the docs who certify fatsos as fit but also doting moms who make all their sons’ efforts to lose weight a futile exercise. This is child abuse of the worst kind, even if our brave officers and men are not kids anymore, they are still their mom’s children.

May be the army like it doles out bravery awards during both war and civilian times can also give medals to fatsos who become fit nd stay fit defeating all the conspiracies of their worst enemies, scheming moms who are determined to make them lose the Battle of the Bulge.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Thyagarajan, kkrish, Adharv and 4 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

A very nice and hilarious composition about the "battle of the bulge". The title is very appropriate. I couldn't stop laughing reading the line that most think "Obesity is some kind of a city". May be the soldiers at the border are well fed despite their tiring battle in the Himalayas during the deployment. In my view, the Generals should set the example before they blame the obesity of the soldiers. I am glad one of them is taking the initiative.

Collecting fat is a hobby like collecting stamps/coins. Mothers are notorious to feed their children until the mothers feel that they filled every nook and corner of the abdomen. Speaking of battle of the bulge, Can the cops in India be subjected to such a battle? Comedian Vivek said in a movie, "for carrying a baby for a few months, you make a big deal but think about these police officers who carry their big fat abdomen for years?"

Obesity is the cause for many illness and without any fitness regime, many kept their body fat under control because men and women were very active in the earlier generations. Nowadays, we all work on the table, barely exercise and don't watch what we put into our mouth.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Awww...the battle of the bulge, Balajee! It is a neverending war of 3 score years and 10 or more (as the case may be). My heart goes out to this Sisyphius fella. But seriously, I agree with you that it is extremely important to educate the population about obesity and it's associated risks. Especially when it comes to all the military, para-military, armed and police forces, the importance of fitness cannot be over-empha'sized'.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee Sir,

The battle of the bulges is one of the toughest battles to conquer. Too many hurdles on the path defeating the determination even before it begins.Ek kadam aage toh do kadam peeche! We must not wait any longer to reduce our weight.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Balajee's 'battle of the bulge' is indicative of never ending fight with the obvious. It is rude to call someone 'fat' so say 'comes from a well to do family'. However this curtsey does not apply in school. Oye fatty ! or Mote is the acceptable way of teasing a fatty in the class or school. It at times leads to fist war but that is okay. In most cases the lean wins over the fatty. That is why they say 'never fight a thin guy and be afraid pf a fat one'.
    Nitin Gadkari, the Minister went under knife to reduce size of his stomach so that it gets filled with little food. Amir Khan on the other hand had to put on kgs for Ghazni.
    Katrina and Kareena are obsessed with zero size lingerie.
    Mukesh Ambani put his sons under strict diet and regime to reduce weight but does not follow suit.
    Balajee, for some sound reasons hnags between 60 and 80 at this age which he should have done when his lean dream girl asked him to be a little lighter from the west size.
    We live in a strange world.
    No wonder there is a movement proclaiming 'round is also a size'. Any takers?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: really your narration was so humorous sir....:hello: fantastic :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

I really don't know what to say about the article I still can't stop laughing. Happy meal.

Fat in fate :beer-toast1:

Thank you. Good day.

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Visw few days ago I saw my favorite Sitarist hujkat Khan perform on TV. I was shocked by the condition to which he was reduced. Mormally plump, he has become hugely fat. He gave the impression that he was unable to keep his eyes open because fat was falling over them. Obesity is a curse. I know I have personally experienced it. And for someone on combat duty, it could im pair mobility at crucial times,

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

More than the army, Satchi, police forces are prone to obesity. In Delhi it is very difficult to see a col[p without protruding belly. Yes it is a major battle and it is for the soldiers, paramilitary tloopers and cops to rnsure that the victory in the battle is not Pyrrhic.-

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Balaji Sir,

Regarding the protruding bellies and poor health of the Police force, Inspector General Vishwas Nangre Patil of Kolhapur says that given their erratic shifts, timings and lack of nourishing food when on field duty, where do they have the privilege to exercise, sleep well or eat healthy. He has requested the public to be less critical of their physicalities. well, he has a point!:thinking:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Yes that is the biggest problem with the battle of the bulge. You need real determination to stay away from all those yummy goodies or determination to put in enough exercise to burn all the calories gained from themk.

Thyagarajan likes this.