1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

A. R. Rehman And His Sufi Music

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    It was no interruption. A R Rehman doesn't possess copyright of Sufi music. I have an amazing collection of Sufi music and literature. My elder brother who passed away three months back was a great Sufi scholar. I linked it with Rehman because I was writing about Hindi music directors. Let us digress and have more fun
    Sri

Srama likes this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Having lived in the neighbourhood of Rehman in Kodambakkam for some years, I never knew, that there was an international celebrity living there, though I had passed through the same road, many times.
    From Dileep to Rehman, the Mozart of Madras, had to go through many hardships in life, which made him look into Sufism for some peace. From jingles to Oscars, he has come a long way in attaining success and international fame. Success hasn’t turned him arrogant, but instead his humility comes out through this one line,’ Ella Pughazhum Iraivanukke’.
    Thank you for those wonderful Sufi songs of Rehman, which I was not aware of till now!

Agatha83

3. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Rehman's life is stranger than fiction. He is a great devotee of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti in Ajmer and he visits the temple twice a year. The temple authorities are endeavoring to make him its Ambassador.
    His recent composition for the song `Tere darbaar mein Khawaja' in Jodha Akbar was dedicated to the Ajmer shrine. He never fails to sing this song in all his concerts. He never fails to wear the Taqiyah (a Muslim cap) when he sings that song in concerts.
    Sri

4. Rajijb

Rajijb Silver IL'ite

CheeniYa Sir...Sorry that I missed the thread about some of the other MDs. ARR has made Sufi music more famous in recent times..one of favorites other than the ones you have posted...

5. Cheeniya

@Rajijb
    That was truly a great song. Thanks a lot for sharing.