1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chitragupt

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No. I am not going to talk about the trusted accountant of Lord Yama who keeps meticulous track of our good and bad deeds.
    I am going to talk about the musical wizard of the same name who gave us loads of beautiful songs. I am not going to write in detail about him since nobody seems to be interested in such trivia. So let us go to his songs straightaway.

From the movie Main Chup Rahungi. Every time I see Meena Kumari , my heart skips a beat. This was a remake of A Tamil film titled Kalathur Kannamma. In fact, Chitragupt was the most sought after Music Director in South for the Hindi remakes.

From the movie Akashdeep (1965). Sung by Rafi for Dharmendra. The heroine Nandha used to be worshiped as a goddess.

From the movie Oonche Log sung by Rafi. I love this song. What a great lyricist Majrooh Sultanpuri was!

From the movie Zapak. It was a block-buster those days (1961) Mahipal and Shyama were the stars.

Akashdeep again. Lata again! Nanda again!!

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

3. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Thank you Geeta.
    I intend writing about two more Music Directors and will call it a day here and shift to my Senile Rambling.
    Lack of clientele has discouraged me here!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

I understand your frustration, Sir. Many visitors prefer to remain anonymous and silent.

5. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Not frustration. Fear.
    I don't want to lose my Senile Rambling fans!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

It is sad that this thread which should have got a flood of FBs has not got its due recognition, just like the most talented MD of yesteryear’s, Chitragupta.

Leaving a steady job as a lecturer in Patna University, he headed to an uncertain future of the Hindi film world, just for the love of music. He worked with another maestro SNTripathi, who with his pure classical background in Hindustani music, worked for many religious, mythological movies, which never found success or recognition in the commercial film industry.

When Chitragupta wanted to blend western music with Hindustani ragas, SN Tripathi wouldn’t agree, and thus saw the separation of the two. He then he worked with AVM banner, in the 50s, which saw the emergence of his hidden talent. Since most of the movies for which he scored music were, B grade movies, with less known heroes and heroines, these films neither saw success nor got appreciation from the audience. But we have to salute this man for his extraordinary courage, for jostling for a space among his successful contemporaries like Naushad, SDBurman etc. Anand Milind, his sons might have got appreciation for their musical scores, but when it comes to melody, there is nobody to beat Chitragupta! Another saddening fact is that, he did not receive any awards for his lifetime achievement in music!

I couldn’t upload any of the YouTube videos due to some error. Some of his best songs are from Guest House, Opera House, Naya Sansar, Oonche log- the list is endless!

Agatha83

Cheeniya likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Thanks a lot for your informative response.
    I have stopped giving much info about the Music Directors since I found that people were more interested in their music than their lives!
    Here is a song from Opera House. Do you know that Saroja Devi was the heroine of the movie?

Here is one from Guest House sung by Lata for the beautiful Shakila. She died last year at the age of 82.

Sri

Mistt likes this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    In my view, not knowing about the music directors causing less response here because you have been writing on yesteryear's music composers and most of the IL members aren't aware of them. Even I know only one Chitragupt until now and please pardon my ignorance but I got to know many old classics because of your musical series.
    Please don't feel discourage or something.

Sorry Sir, you are mistaken, I usually read your post completely then read their wiki and got to known many unknown things of them.

Cheeniya and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    My dear Mistt
    A big thank you! Younger generation must know our musical legacy. That's the purpose of my writing all this. So many lovely songs they have left behind for us. I love singing these songs. I have a huge collection of lyrics. I find it hard to sing ' Columbus, Columbus, vittachi leevu' and such songs
    Sri

10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

:) are you scolding me Sir? I know your purpose of musical threads, I understand and I appreciate you for taking time and writing for us but I feel Interest in knowing something has to come with in the person itself and we don't need to feel disappointed when we didn't see that enthusiasm in others. I wanted to convince that only. Please accept my apologies Sir.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018