1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not Sure If I Am Wrong Or Right! Pls Shar Ur Inputs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Indeevara, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Indeevara

Indeevara Platinum IL'ite

Let me make it as short as possible. This is an incident which took place almost a month ago when my inlaws visited us, they left some days back..
    They r very good in laws in many ways.. my mil does all the cooking and household works as I was only two months post delivery when my mom left and they came over.. i am so greatful to her and forver would be for all the help she extended. She is the same back in India with my co sister too and never once complains abt that ,in fact she s happy to do all the works by herself.
    My fil is / was a bit strict father, he discourages unnecessary spending and it seems he has been so always. As a result in their house mother and children(my H included) always secretly plan things and execute without his knowledge as he would
    oppose most of the plans if it involves too much expense according to him( for instance house renovation, buying a new appliance etc)..Similarly he always has a different opionion from his children and wife always.

I haven’t stayed with them for so long, soon aftr marriage I came to US with hubby and hence i ve always felt that some bond is missing btwn them and me. I seem to miss out most of the stories, doesn’t know half the relatives or frnds frm their side and so on.
    My hubby is very close to his mom and vice versa.
    Even aftr they recahed US too i ve been feeling the same way.
    One fine morning as i was feeding my LO , my hubby had finished with his breakfast and gone to room to get ready and leave. Thats when i heard some talking beyond the closed doors of OUR bedroom and i reaized that mom and son were having some secret conversation:triumph:
    Somehow that pissed me off. Why should they close door that too of our bedroom and talk so secretly inside?
    I still cany digest that incident though i ddnt reach that day.
    At first decided to leave it but then i wanted to let them know that i ve noticed it . That was whn my son burped and vomited his food and i went and knocked the door to get wipe clothes. Immediately my hubby opened the door and gave me an embarasse look.
    What do u think of this gurls?
    Whatver be the topic is was it right to do?
    He later explained to me that mom closed the door to talk something without dad hearing,which possibly is true. Still I cant get over the incident, could be my pbm.. but it keeps coming to my mind.. isn’t this good reason fr many daughters in laws to create a havoc? Am i compromising on too many things ?
    Dunno ..
    Just asking fr ur views on this

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You are thinking too much.

Doesn't look like she created any problems between you and your husband.

If she wants to create problems ,she can do it without having toclose doors.

If she is good to you,don't go looking for problems.

Like you wrote,it is possible it was about the fil.
    Even if they were talking about you,it is not a problem. If she is uncomfortable about something ,then it is better it comes from your husband .

You seem to have a good mil..

guesshoo, sweetsmiley, lazy and 9 others like this.
  3. Indeevara

Thank you for ur advice! Yeah probably am overthinking, thats what confuses me..

4. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

The whole incident looks harmless. Dont worry.

poovai likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Let it go..maybe they are discussing something that they don't want your FIL to hear..or some kind of family related gossips about relatives , or some other personal matters that don't concern u or u don't need to know..
    Generally don't women also talk privately with their moms and discuss their daily goings on at home and personal problems..
    As long as your MIL isn't talking some wrong stuff about you and unnecessarily brainwashing your husband and crating misunderstandings between u and your DH nothing to worry about.

guesshoo and aamrapali like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Leave well enough alone. As long as the mother-son conversations do not affect you it should not bother you. They have a lifetime of bonding and it will take time for you to break into the inner circle, especially when you stay far apart. When my parents visit we will gossip endlessly about relatives and old stories that my husband doesn't know and doesn't care to know.
    Your MIL will look on you more kindly and will be more secure in her position in the new household if she knows that she can still freely speak with her son. Your husband will also appreciate you for this. This will benefit you immensely in the long run. And if your FIL behaves like this it is hard to blame others for sneaking around him.
    The only time you should interfere is if they are making decisions about your home or your child, where your opinion is also necessary.

7. Indeevara

Thanks for ur advices :relieved:..feeling much better.. i ve always felt like am left out frm their family talks but not bothered abt those very much. But i think such ‘leaving us out ‘ acts would bother us even more in a place like this . If I were in India none of these wud ve been a concern to me as I would ve hardly noticed them talking privately or discussing in a low voice.

8. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear,

It's important for mother and son to have some personal time/private conversations sometimes - sharing based on my personal experience. When my mother stays with my brother's family she misses having private conversations with her son now and then. The relationship with the DIL is very good - but sometimes there are things she feels only her son will be able to understand. They are very closely knit - but she misses those talks she would have with my brother when he would visit our home and would take Amma out for a walk in the neighborhood and they could share the little happenings in their lives. As a DIL myself, I can understand how you would feel - like you are not being accepted 100% as part of your new family.

Here is how I try to cope with it. My son is just 18 months old - but how I play with him, coochy-coo with him or just go bonkers trying to entertain him :) - I really need some alone-time with him everyday - I don't like to have all my amma-baby-time in the living room with parents-in-law watching over me. So I take him for a short walk to the park to have some bonding time alone.

Do not worry at all and allow mil and husband to have some opportunities to bond by themselves. Your husband will be happier and that means he can give more to the happiness of your relationship. He will also value the time you would want to spend with your own mother.

Indeevara likes this.
  9. Indeevara

I understand what you say.. Thanks for understanding me too and for ur advice!
    I don’t usually bother all those whenever it happened in the past. But this time it kept pricking me a little, on and off. As for a moment we were all in the living room and next moment they both had gone inside our room and shut the door which seemed quite odd for the moment. Otherwise they had lots of time on their own during her stay here .
    Moreover my hubby looked quite embarrassed to have done so and tried explaining to me what happened and all which seemed even more awkward then

10. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

My DH and MIL do this too, they'll either go out or have a conversation when I'm not in the room. It used to bother me a lot, but since I've started focusing on myself and my self esteem, I've come to realize that I don't really care and even if it is something that affects me, then I'll deal with it when it happens.

As an example, my MIL is a huge believer in holy men and is constantly trying to get me to take my daughter to see some baba or other for her allergies. She wouldn't talk to me directly, she'd discuss with my DH, convince him and then call me and try to convince me and get my DH to talk to me at the same time. In the past I'd do as I was told but in the past year or so, I've just been putting my foot down and saying, 'No, I don't trust them and I am not taking my daughter to anyone who is not a certified doctor'. She usually doesn't press the issue directly and DH knows not to try and get me to do something I don't want.

It's annoying but I've never called them out on it. I didn't come into the picture for almost 30 years or so after my husband was born, so I know I can never compete with MIL, so I've just left them to it and live my life the way I want anyway.