1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shakespear's Take On Life's Strength

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anusowmyan, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Life is a struggle-meet it. Or Life is a challenge –face it. Likewise there are many life lessons thought and told by most well experienced people. “”Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart.” Says an ancient Indian proverb, in today’s speedy world, many things are certainly mistaken, misinterpreted and misunderstood. Here are a few messages of Shakespeare that might throw light and bring out the best understanding of life. His words on Beauty, hope, virtue and goodness, good deed, honour, sleep, pleasure and revenge, glory, gratitude, opportunity will feed us in a right way.

Hope: In the toughest of the times, hope is the only saver and don’t lose it. Shakespeare in MEASURE FOR MEASURE describes hope:

The miserable have no other medicine,

But only hope

Beauty: Thing that attracts and loved by all. Beauty is not denied by anyone. In LOVE’S LABOUR’S LOST Shakespeare describes Beauty:

My beauty, though but mean,

Needs not the painted flourish of your praise;

Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,

Not utter’d by base sale of chapmen’s tongues.

Virtue and Goodness: One of the finest qualities required to have a accomplished life. In MEASURE FOR MEASURE Shakespeare describes virtue and goodness as:

Virtue is gold, and Goodness never fearful.

A Good Deed: In one’s life time, If good deeds take prime importance, than nothing can be more fulfilling than this. In MERCHANT OF VENICE, Shakespeare states that A Good Deed if compared:

How far that little candle throws his beams!

So shines a good deed in a naughty world.

Honour: Everyone is happy to be honoured. Our efforts and tasks should fetch us the deserved honour. In TROILUS AND CRESSIDA, Shakespeare describes Honour more dear than life:

Mine honour keeps the weather of my fate:

Life every man holds dear; but dear man

Holds honour far more precious dear than life.

Sleep: All the fitness and wellness experts suggests for seven to eight hours of sleep. Shakespeare in THE TEMPEST describes sleep:

Do not omit the heavy offer of it:

It seldom visits sorrow; when it doth,

It is a comforter.

Pleasure and revenge: Two contrary concepts dealt by Shakespeare in TROILUS AND CRESSIDA:

For pleasure and revenge

Have ears more deaf than adders to the

Voice of any true decision

Glory: In this competitive world, chasing behind victory and glory is not an easy task. Shakespeare in KING HENRY VI PART –I describes glory as:

Glory is like a circle in the water,

Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself,

Till, by broad spreading, it disperse to naught

Gratitude: Thanking God and focussing on the blessings rather the other, brings courage and joy. Shakespeare in KING HENRY VI- PART II describes God’s Goodness ever to be remembered:

Let never day nor night unhallow’d pass,

But still remember what the Lord hath done.

Opportunity: The rarest and the most required is opportunity. Never miss an opportunity. Shakespeare in JULIUS CAESAR states that Opportunity to be seized on all occasions of Life:

There is a tide in the affairs of men

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries

On such a full sea are we now afloat;

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures.

All these messages of Shakespeare suits to this day and reading Shakespeare’s works helps us to improve and have enriching Life. Take time to “READ” it is the foundation of wisdom.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Anusowmyan
    True. But understanding Shakespeare is very difficult for guys like me. There are some memorable lessons to learn from works like Thirukkural. All our ancient works are divided int four parts of life:
    Dharma
    Artha
    Kama and
    Moksha.
    We placed Dharma ahead of everything as we know that it should be the guiding principle in all the stages of life.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  3. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Good lessons are essential, let the source be anything. thanks for the reply.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:brilliant and well thought out and analysed of virtues and or other attributes from great bard dramas romantic or otherwise.
    Thanks and regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

5. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

thanks for the reply

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Nice healthy juice extracted from selected fruits!Some quotes are ever green in memory.
    Whether it is Shakespeare or Thiruvalluvar or Avvai or Bhartruhari, it is always very easy to quote and very difficult to follow. My Amma very often very said," Don't get confused with too many quotes in life.Catch hold of one or two and follow them very strictly. All other virtues would automatically follow.If you follow the principle'Don't hurt others"many other good qualities like being soft, kind, being adjustable, good manners and behaviour ,to earn good name among all in the society that drives you to do more good,service mindedness etc etc would automatically follow.".What a practical wisdom !

jayasala 42

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Upto the time I was in college and beyond for a few years , I loved to pick up and read any of Shakespeare's books I could lay my hands on. However, did not specifically look into the numerous lessons we could learn thereby as so well pointed out by you. Now, I encourage my grandchild to take to reading as a hobby seriously, as theres nothing like reading to widen our horizonz. Thanks for a lovely post which I happened to notice only today.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

thank you to both of you for sharing your views on quotes.Follow at least one quote in life, as stated by your amma, (Jayasala 42) is a notable advice by a well experienced person.

do encourage children to take up reading as a hobby &they will cherish it for their life time. - (joylokhi)

joylokhi likes this.
  9. latinamruitment

latinamruitment New IL'ite

10. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply.