1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Asking For A Friend - Advice

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by star90new, Jun 23, 2018.

1. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies

One of my friends asked my opinion last day regarding her career.
    Her husband works for a very good company and earns Rs 9 lakhs per month (including housing allowance and others). She is working in a company with Rs 50 K salary. They are staying abroad. Her family is advising her to drop her job as her husband has a high stress job . She has a kid and according to her, she has no career planning. She is asking my opinion about leaving work. What should I advice her.

Her husband also prefers a stay at home wife. She is worried if single income is enough in todays world though her husband earns good.Rent per month where she stays right now is less than 1 lakh per month. Her kid is already going to playschool (Company paid) and they want to have a second child. Is 9 lakhs a good salary? If not how much is ? She wants something to rely on.

2. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

OP, it's good to know that you are trying to help your friend. 9 lacs a month is a very good salary and they should be saving substantially also. I feel your friend is lucky to have such a supportive partner and can easily consider taking a break till the 2nd baby arrives. After that if she is keen she can always join back work. I don't see a reason for her to continue working to support the family finances at this time.

3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Depends on her on how much amount will she content ... company is paying for rest of all stuff which are expensive so what is making her question regarding money but if she will go nuts at home sitting then go for it..but has to give some time for the kid..

star90new likes this.
  4. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the reply dear. She is thinking of stopping permanently . Do you advice that ?
    two kids , their college , their retirement etc.. ?

5. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

I dont know how much will keep her content but she wants a upper middle class life for herself and her children.
    Will this salary be enough for that? Offcourse no one can say exact but atleast give an idea if people with leser income than hers have a good life. Upper middle class according to her is kids in good universities , alternate year vacations, a good retirement fund.

6. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

It should be her personal decision. If they are planning for another lil one I am guessing they must be in early to mid thirties. If her DH continues to earn like that with the usual hikes thrown in I don't see a reason for it be mandatory for her to work. So many people live their entire lives happily without seeing that kind of a salary. Let her not decide to quit due to something external to her. It will only lead to resentment latter if things change and they do more often than not. If I were her I would have quit by now but that's me :)

vaidehi71 and star90new like this.
  7. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

There is always a risk in private jobs. If someone is earning high then job pressure and risk must also be high. Your friend should consider this too.

nakshatra1 and star90new like this.
  8. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

With that kind of money she must be living a upper class life.. I think it should be enough ..after the little one old enough she can join back...

star90new and Lalithambigai like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Establishing the purchasing power of income expressed in INR would depend on where they live abroad.
    Rent is one indicator. One lakh per month is about $1700; out of a salary of about $15000. Barely over 10%. That's affordable, with caveats - neighborhood, safety, school-district, etc. (in a US reckoning).
    I would not decide this out of the top of my head. It requires careful consideration. The decision also depends upon job stability, her independence, health insurance, long-term financial planning, projected return to India, etc.

star90new, sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Is this question actually for you or for your friend :) just asked..

I guess 9 Lakhs per month is very good and of her dh is also ok
    With it..I guess it is fine.

In her situation,if she is career oriented ..no point quitting something which she likes no matter the reason.

Else,if she is financially fine which i feel..she can stay back and check how it feels else she can return back to her career.

star90new, sindmani and shravs3 like this.