1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Many thanks @Gauri03
    Second time doesn't make any better..still that anxious mommy with mood swings :)

kaniths, Gauri03 and satchitananda like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Parineetha! How are the kiddos doing?

parineetha likes this.
  3. Indhradhanu

Indhradhanu Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone
    I am a bit off the track these days. Stressed with new job and some other personal problems, could not keep myself and the family to eat healthy. Worried about my 6 years old son, who is very much addicted to sweet these days. My parents were with us for 3 months and obviously my mom was making a lot of sweet varieties to keep her grandson happy. As I was busy I missed to pay attention to this. Now his craving has grown miserably and he demands a sweet every other day. Unfortunately his school has a bakery and every morning he makes a big issue to not to give him his Tiffin box and give money buy chocolate cake. He got to taste this cake from bakery when he missed his lunch box at school one day. Now he wants it everyday. He talks about this all the time."Amma when you will give money to buy that cake". I did my best to make him understand but still he asks and talks about this every moment we speak and throw tantrums until I say something positive. This is happening since a week.I hope he comes out of this craving soon.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pindi Chhole -- There is no one single authentic recipe as such. Every family has its own minor variation. This is the version I learned at home.

Ingredients:

Kabuli chana 250 gms
    ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
    2 green chillies
    2-3 large tomatoes

Channa masala ingredients: (dry roast and grind into a powder)

Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
    cumin seeds 1/2 tbsp
    4-5 Cloves
    1 inch Cinnamon stick
    4-5 Green cardamom
    2-3 Black cardamom
    2-3 Bay leaves
    Anardana (pomegranate seeds) 1.5 tbsp

Other Spices:

1/2 inch cinnamon stick
    Black cardamon 2
    Pepper corns 8
    Cloves 2-3
    1 tea bag or dried amla pieces 4-5
    Chili powder-1 tsp
    Turmeric-1 tsp
    kala namak (black salt)-1/2 tsp
    Ajwain - 1/2 tsp
    Amchur (dried mango powder or tamarind paste) -1 tbsp
    Garam masala-1/2 tsp
    Asafoetida - pinch
    Salt as preferred

1. Soak chana overnight. Tie the cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom, pepper corns in a muslin cloth. Add to the chana with the tea bag/dried amla, water and salt, and pressure cook. Once cooked remove the spice bundle, tea bag and/or amla.
    2. In a pan heat oil and saute cumin seeds, ajwain, bay leaves and asafoetida. Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Add the pureed tomatoes and turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dried mango powder, garam masala, chana masala (homemade or store bought). Let the mixture cook down until the oil separates.
    3. Now add chhole, black salt and water (quantity depends on the desired consistency). Adjust salt to taste and simmer the chhole until done to the required consistency. It can be cooked until dry or you can retain some gravy as needed.
    4. Once done garnish with chopped coriander.

Usually I don't add onions but if I need the gravy to have more body to eat with rice, I add a quarter of a medium sized onion, finely minced, before adding the tomatoes and cook as usual.

HTH!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Weekend meals -

Made a one-pot paneer biryani.

d4.png

Thai Panang curry with rice. Added green and orange bell peppers, carrots, beans, mushrooms, baby corn, and bamboo shoots.

d3.png

These days sticking to single dish menus. Don't have the luxury of preparing multi-course meals but I think the family appreciates eating homemade instead of take-out.

coffeecups, parineetha, SunPa and 8 others like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Homemade green pesto from home grown basil, pudina and ajwain leaves.

Homemade green pesto.jpg

Rihana, parineetha, SunPa and 6 others like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

look at the color of pesto.. nice fresh green and homegrown to boot..@satchitananda.

parineetha and satchitananda like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

wanted to post some but then have been too busy, preparing to travel. this is my post before a hiatus from me. i wish to log in and check this thread to be motivated wherever i am but then the fun of being away is lost. so will be back soon.. will someone miss this thread not sure.. it has been monotonous, ofcourse you cannot have a thread running 5 yrs without it getting a little musty and boring..

hope we find a lot of interesting tidbits to share..

E95C163A-CE98-4A90-877D-0C53FE5F3694.jpeg
    06269E15-B867-4D14-B5FE-72CC28B8185D.jpeg
    green- ashgourd, parsley, ginger and lemon

red- beetroot, carrot, ginger and apple

pale pink- pear, apple, peach and ginger..

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 one pot dishes are comfort and more. someday i should share the dishes my dd makes when i am travelleing and she has to carry lunch to office..these are saviors.. i know she once made macoroni in rasam and i was left :sob::sob::tonguewink:

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Indhradhanu it is a phase and he will be out of it. how about asking him to make a piggy bank for syrian kids or any other ngo in your area. now concvince him that it feels yum to eat cake from the school canteen but what if everyday his cake money is put in a piggy bank and at the end he can send it to a hncle or aunty who buys food for kids who dont have dads or mums to make such yummy food that his mom makes..make it a two in one project. wean him off buyong from canteen and make him understand joy of giving. no 4/5 is not small he will hnderstand and learn. everytime he voluntarily puts the money in the bank, appreciate and encourage him..

it is a slow and steady process does not happen overnight..and it is not the age where you can make him really understand healthy and junk..

so hang in there