On The Ning Nang Nong

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Iravati, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Not yet served?

I am very curious about this layout.

upload_2018-5-27_11-58-5.png

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Jaana Sanam

Music reveals so much about our inner personality.

Here is one such song now playing in my list ...based on which I can infer which generation, which mores, your milieu, your schooling, your rank in your school, your diet, your taste in food, your preference in cutlery and drapery, the temp. you boil water in a kettle, your allergens, your aptitude to bear insufferable jokes, your dating habits, your dumping strategies, your Myers-Briggs score and much more ...all from one song.

Kidding! The only truth I can affirm is that you cannot be friends with me until you love this song.

A whole generation grew up drinking less milk but enjoying more the cow's bell. For sure, a memorable song from the yore. Even today when the song plays from my bedside ipod, I lunge to turn up the volume.

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Never seen a donkey fly

Well, in shrek you did!

But a flying donkey is not a stunner or novelty as much as the crozier-carrying donkey.

Napoleon and his entourage, which included Pope Pius VII, then left for Notre Dame cathedral led by a donkey ridden by the Pope’s crozier-bearer. According to papal tradition, the crozier-bearer was supposed to ride a mule, but owing to trouble finding a mule, a donkey was deemed suitable.

I wonder how the dialogue to pursue the donkey was initiated.

Envoy: Hey, donkey, you are wanted by His Imperial and Royal Majesty Napolean.
    Donkey: Hee-waw! Who me, His Equus and Wild Asinus, why?

upload_2018-5-27_14-43-56.png

Envoy: Can you give a ride to the crozier-bearer?
    Donkey: Hee-haw! If I can fly, I can also carry a crozier or a boulder or a bulldozer, but why me?

upload_2018-5-27_14-44-21.png

Envoy: The mule ran away so you can stand in for a mule.
    Donkey: But mules don't reproduce, why did it run away ...with ...whom ..Hee paw! Any case, His Samaritan and Loyal Donkey at your service.

upload_2018-5-27_14-44-37.png

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Heya!
    You compel me to strive even on a weekend. I had to rummage through my albums to find the pictures. Many summers ago, I traveled to the land of Anatolia where the ancient philosophy of Thales cracked open ...from where ...thermal springs.

Here's Hierapolis & Pamukkale and limestone terraces and pools. My personal clicks are shabby, so a reference of a good image from the net as well.

upload_2018-5-27_18-37-36.png

upload_2018-5-27_18-38-1.png

Below is an internet picture from a good timing and a good angle and a good camera.

upload_2018-5-27_18-38-38.png

Since I trudged all the uphill way to Anatolia, I also flew to the land of Heraclitus and the fabled ancient wonder of the world that is Temple of Artemis in Ephesus. After flight and ride, I descended the hill and entered a waste land. I saw the tourists clicking pictures against a totemic column, the only remnant from the wondrous period. So much excitement and petrol just to visit that rubble.

upload_2018-5-27_18-39-25.png

But the Ning is not about Thales or Heraclitus but about steam-baths/hamam-baths of Anatolia. After my setback at Temple of Artemis, I stayed indoors luxuriating in the scented oils and steam baths and thermal vents. Bottom line, I too love those natural humming bath-resorts even amidst transfixed ruins and derelict philosophy.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Which two?

Cabbage and broccoli?
    Homo Luden and Homo Naledi
    Lumpen me and Slob me?
    Ira and Oko?

The Peep in me inquires ..

You don't like Ayn Rand, embrace the club.
    You don't understand luden motiff, silly us, it just means playful interaction of the homo ludens here.
    I like you all's, me too likey you and your random visits here.

But Agent Hope, don't lapse on your assignment to lure aliens and bring them over here. If you are lost, follow the Dendera Zodiac.

The controversy around the zodiac, called the "Dendera Affair", involved people of the likes of Joseph Fourier (who estimated that the age was 2500 BC). Champollion, among others, believed that it was a religious zodiac. Champollion placed the zodiac in fourth century AD. Georges Cuvier placed the date 123 AD to 147 AD. His discussion of the dating question is an interesting summary of the reasoning as he understood it in the 1820s.

6. okonomi

okonomi New IL'ite

Vaishnavaite Temples offer this prasad. Not any other sect. Many would (in addition to the simmered Tadka-Tamarind paste) add a powder of roasted fenugreek, coriander and black peppers on top of the rice before the rice is gently mixed with the puliohara-paste. Your procedure lacks the addition of this spice powder--evident in the big closeup photo of the dish.

And besides, people are not expected to replicate a Temple prasad at home. God's design is to prevent the accumulation of conceit in the devotees. As that Puliohara song (originally composed in Gujarati) cautions... (one might blame/thank G.V.Desani's Banerjee for such links ;)):

वैष्णव जन तो तेने कहिये
    जे पीड परायी जाणे रे ।
    पर दुःखे उपकार करे तो ये
    मन अभिमान न आणे रे ॥

Translation:
    A call to those Vaishnavas who
    Feel the pain of others, (and attempt to)
    Help those who are in misery,
    But never let self-conceit enter their mind.

[I will annotate the Japanese dishes in another post. Breakfast presentations at resorts come in lots of cutesy little ceramic wares. Almost like the place is asking us to "play house" like children]

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Indeed!

I must try with roasted fenugreek and black pepper powder next time.

As a kid, I loved the aravana payasam at Ayyappa temple. I inquired with my mother if she had any idea how the dark payasam was made. She had no clue! The payasam was strange and delicious and addictive to my acquired cultural taste. I have never had a definitive pointer from my cross-regional friends whether the replication of that temple payasam was as challenging in Kerala households as was the case with my unspiced pulihora. But, I love it!

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Look forward to that. I was reading about Haka and Topeng after watching unusual cultures.

More tomorrow.

9. okonomi

okonomi New IL'ite

Here are the items in that black, square tray:
    Boiled egg with wasabi
    cauliflower salad
    Potato salad
    Krill
    Pork wedges
    upload_2018-5-28_8-15-43.png

The other dishes are:
    1. Fish cooking over a flame
    2. sashimi (raw fish)
    3. Citrus-y gel with mint leaf
    4. Yoghurt
    5. Bowl of fish-head soup.

The omelette is made (to order) on a table-side trolley; prevents the waste of serving too much.
    Other things are served as we progress.

[In many resorts, one may go to breakfast in the hotel garb -- usually a yukata (robe), and the indoor-slippers. What with the fish on a grill, and omelette making etc. at each table, unless the place is well ventilated (Kaze no Kaori was quite nice) one's own street clothes can catch the "kaori" and take it home.

10. okonomi

okonomi New IL'ite

:blush:. Never mind.
    ”びっくり ドンキー” Bikkuri Donkey (Surprised Donkey) is a chain of Hamburger/Steak restaurants. Much like McDobalds or Arby's. The locals in Japan do not seem to be surprised at the name. The firangi can understand that, because the locals are often seen in T-shirts with English Writings that say the oddest/silliest/raunchiest things that they had either never thought about, or thought it meant something else.