What Is The Correct Time To Have Kids ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nakshatra1, May 23, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone , I just wanted to ask a general question. - what is the correct time to have kids .Ofcourse mental preparedness of the couple is required to give time and energy to the child . But what about the financial situation ? How much financial stability is required before having kid (loans, savings scenario ) . It's good to wait but one has to keep biological clock in mind ,so what's the maximum.age to start trying. And finally is it important to take career break apart from the six months maternity leave .. if daycare is available afterwards , then is the six months maternity leave enough incase one is not in a position to quit career /take long break from.csreer ?

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I am a believer of "over planning hardly works" whenever it comes to pregnancy. The whole set of questionnaire n it's answers changes person to person, health complications, how we handle everything etc.

I had my child at 21, barely had a clue about it but the maternal instincts kicked in 200% n the not knowing too much part rather helped n the whole responsibilities never scared me which made me better in that role, in fact it's a role where the learning never stops.

Financially, it's always good to have enough savings if in case of any medical emergencies. It will be even great if there's any insurance for the new born as well, not much knowledge on this.
    Kids cost money in terms of medical expenses n buying their stuff, Furniture's, toys, cute stuff, even their formulas can be pricey, they fall sick often generally than adults, so doctors visit n medicines, so on.

I know women who has gotten pregnant n delivered with full health even in their 40s n ones who suffer even in 20s. It's your health rather than the number.

Career, one of my ex boss went to deliver the baby from office. N she was back at work in like 2-3 months. She was in her late 30s then. N there are people who quit the moment their pregnancy gets confirmed.

If theres any parents support, can hire a full time / live in nanny n let the elder supervise them. This is good because the grandparents doesn't get overworked.
    One couple, who had no support, hired a live in nanny n they scheduled their work in such a way that atleast one parent is at home during anytime.
    Set up cameras at home if hiring Nannies, or pick a daycare close to your office. Looking at flexi hours / work from home option (atleast a few days in a week) will be even better. You can always find a way.

3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Women are more sensitive and in this case she has to take the charge. Physically you will see a lot change which will affect your mental balance as you may start expecting more emotional support that men rarely understand.
    After delivery many join the job soon but it is not easy to leave 6 month old into someone's hand which force many to quit their career. You have to be emotionally very strong.
    For financial needs the expense start from delivery. Then some like to do the functions that your in-laws may tell you to do. There you may have to give expensive gifts to your sil or any other relatives that your mil tell you to.
    After that the responsibility of kids vaccination and any other disease if they suffer to. After that the expense of their studies etc are there.
    Maximum age can be anything but if you are not too old then you are more fit to conceive taking in care your other medical history.

4. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I don't think there is a correct age and kids are like marriage, it never happens the way one plans but in the end regardless of which path one chooses most are happy with the outcome. I know finance is an issue but honestly I see so many people in low income have babies after babies without significantly changing their financial status. So I don't know if babies are truly that expensive as internet makes it out to be. Regarding going back to work, that is something you can only answer after you have a baby. Some babies have higher need or god forbid you have special need baby then work might not even be an option. But I do know plenty of professionals that went back to work at 3 months. It was tough but that is the only option they got and eventually they go used to it. The first week back was hard

5. nakshatra1

Thank you so much everyone for your detailed answers ...got many points that will help in planning .

I really don't want to imagine such negative scenarios without any basis while planning baby , please don't say such inauspicious things . Ofcourse I know that , in life if any exceptional things happen, we will obviously handle it with extraordinary changes , but that is a different matter . I know you did not mean bad so im sorry if I hurt you . Apart from this , thank you so much for your detailed answer .

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@nakshatra1 there is never right time. My grandma used to say waiting to have baby is like waiting for waves to calm down to take a dip in sea (alai eppo oirathu kadallu eppa kulikarathu -Tamil) If you have a reasonable financial stability and don't see any red flags then you can start trying. Good luck for your TTC journey.

September2015 likes this.
  7. nakshatra1

Yes , that is something to ponder upon . Thanks a lot ☺️