1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Over Protective Parent - Am I

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi all
    Even I don't know how to consider this (over protective or restricting)
    I can say nothing wrong seeing over protective bcos in news we hear things which we can't even imagine.really nightmare for parents.so it's mandatory to keep our eyes on them.
    I will accompany my daughter everywhere like park,bday party,etc.i do chat but have frequent check s .
    I live in a big community (apartment).my daughter s not allowed to step out with out me or my mil.i prefer that way.she s 6 yrs.but still I can't leave her alone.
    By doing this we make sure she s safe.
    At the same time I let her enjoy well with out much interference.
    Earlier in our days I was allowed to play in streets but now we can't do that bcos world has changed a lot
    This is my opinion

anika987 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Op, there is nothing wrong in being over protective n keeping a check on your daughter till she is 7_8 years old. I do the same on my dd. It helps to prevent her getting beaten up by a mischievous boy aged 4.
    Well that boys mom would be always seen chit chatting and would never keep a check on her son. But if he is not seen for a noticeable time then his mother would call him out so loudly that the boy will come running from wherever he was playing. I cannot afford to scream like that in public.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

What you are doing is not wrong at all.
    In my community ,I have seen a 5 year old walking alone and running in the pathway.I still feel she was too young to be left alone like that.We hear so many horror stories and it does bother me.I am also protective which I feel is fine.

4. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I am in the same boat and confused too. Whenever we go to a get together, my husband just shows off our son for few minutes and get to the chit chatting mode and leaves my 2.5yr old to me. While all the ladies have conversations in kitchen or living room, i will be following my son. Friends say that I am being over protective but I just want to sheild him as the older kids may be running and bumping into each other or running up and down the stairs. I go the comments from other ladies like "oh.. she doesnt leave her son for a minute. She is not interested in talking to us oldies". While I've seen other dads being responsible and social at the same time, I feel we divided those roles. There are instances where I go to a party or get-to and come back without taking to anyone at all other than hi bye.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ignore the comments. Don't explain, don't talk about news incidents about children. Just quietly do your parenting, the best you can. At all points of this parenting journey, people will have many comments about what you do, how you do. They will say you are over-this and over-that. They will left and right use terms like pushy parent, over-protective, tiger mom, helicopter parent, drone parent, typical Asian parent. This is till things are mostly going right. When the first thing goes slightly wrong, the same people will have another set of comments. Have a few trusted friends, maybe two or three with whom you can talk about parenting second-guesses and worries. With these friends also, don't make your conversations like a daily journal about parenting.

Keeping child always in sight is common sense in this day and age. The not more than 10 feet distance -- I am not so sure. If at a park you are sitting with other moms at a bench, and all kids are playing within sight, the kids might be more than 10 feet away. 10 feet is like a room's length. Maybe this is what is causing comments from others, but don't let it bother you. If you want to keep your child within 10 feet, do so. I had one such rule I followed - till 3 years of age, my daughter was always only under the care of me, my husband, our daycare lady or one trusted friend with whom we had playdates. In India trip, only my co-sister.

Be the parent you are with confidence.

Vedhavalli, Amica, SunPa and 3 others like this.
  6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

The fact is, if the child gets hurt the parents have to suffer, not anyone else.
    My relative's kid injured his arm while playing with other kids in daycare..one more of my relative's kid has a food allergy, and innocently ate some stuff given by other kids that contained the ingredients she was allergic to (exactly don't remember )..needless to say the kid had to be taken to emergency immediately.
    In parks I've seen small kids throwing stones at stray animals.
    Parents have to struggle with emergency doc visits in all cases..
    No harm in being careful. Need to be a little thick skinned to criticisms.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  7. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    Even I was the same. And you know something.- I want my son to enjoy everything but he should be in vicinity all the time.
    Even if I allow him to go for a short horse ride, though the horse walks with its caretaker holding the leash I walk along with the horse and don't leave him alone with the horse's caretaker. The first time when he sat on horseback and the horse started to move in was afraid about all bad things viz - whether he ll fall without holding properly or the caretaker or someone else might kidnap my son or vehicles on the road might hit the horse or my son or suddenly the horse runs.. omg! I had to hardly hold myself from getting my son down thinking all these. I was literally scared about all these. The moment he got down from the horse I sighed a relief. Even after that my son went on horseback a few times but the first time was literally a nightmare for me.

As you said I usually keep an eye all the time on him. So, same pinch.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  8. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Did i mention its wrong with mom chit chatting ? Please stop giving new meaning to my statements..

I said some moms will be chatting and not monitoring young kids... Everyone talks, ofcourse i also chit chat but keeping an eye on my little one...

EDIT: There were couple of incidence in our Neighbourhood.

A kid went missing in Indian store. Found after 30mins crying in back entrance..

A kid went missing in park in an event. I dont know if they found kid later.

Vedhavalli and shravs3 like this.
  9. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all wonderful momies!
    I'm relieved that I'm doing right. Outside world is not safe.
    Kids fall, jump, fight with each other..
    Not to mention about evil eyes prying.
    I saw a recent incident of carjacking with a child, luckily the thief noticed the kid and dropped the child next gas station and stole the car. The child was safe went to parents in 30 min, thank god.but imagine a mom's or Dad's plight...
    I have to grow thick skin, better than that safety is important.