1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Should Be Buying Gifts Me Or Mil Or Both ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by star90, Apr 24, 2018.

1. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies..

I stay abroad and my Mil stays in my native. Whenever we call her or messages her she gives us a very long list. In the starting she used to message my hubby saying she wants this and that. When ever I visit her she takes note of what I wear and ask me about it in front of my husband. My husband takes note of all these and buys things for her from India as well as from abroad. She has never bought me even a handkerchief , while we have to buy her long list plus common items that people usually bring from abroad to India for their family. She never gave me anything till now. My husband is saying he wants to buy MIL some gold.

Now see I can take this in two ways. I can think of it like okay.. let son buy mom gifts.. his money his things.
    I can also think as MIL is taking away my future kids money..
    Do you think a wife has any right over a husbands money.. I am not against him spending a bit.. but not like gold and all.. I also feel sad when people remind me that my MIL never bought me anything till now.. even after me selecting and buying her things.

I would also like to ask about your view about living as a dependent . Like how is it to live with your husbands money ? Is your husband okay with you spending money? My MIL doesnt like me spend my husbands money .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with you buying things for you MIL. She asked for specific items and you purchased them. It seems nice. She might not see them as gifts, just normal purchase she'S not able to make in India. If there is something that you would like her to get for you, maybe you can suggest that she gets you something (like you want a saree or matching bangles or sweets).

You do have the right to your husband's money, but he also has the right to buy gold for his mom if he wants to. His purchases don't seem excessive, so I wouldn't be too bothered about your children's futures. If you feel like it is cutting into your investments and basic family livelihood- then you could work the finances together. This will keep you in the loop of where money is going and will keep your husband accountable.

star90, Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Nope, no right over husband's money. He can do whatever with his money. The only thing you can do to mitigate or help this situation is to make your own money by working & saving for future. Unlike what we say in wedding wows, we don’t own our spouses or their money. If he works to earn it, he has right to spend however he wants to.

4. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

Forget her behaviour. Does hubby buy you things? Make you feel special? Regardless of working or not working, youre his wife, any money he makes is for both of you ( different people will say different things). Alot of feminists or modern women think women have no right over a mans money and should earn their own but that’s what fails women further down the line. A man should spend on his wife as his first responsibility is her. But you also have a right over that money ( that he earns whilst being married to you) When you get married it’s part of the package/joint agreement).I don’t think you’re greedy and would take advantage of it like some people do. But you do things for him right? Cook clean etc so yeah you do hAve a right. Being a housewife is hard work ( I’m not sure what your situation is). I assume you’ve agreed to stay at home right as part of your marriage. Anytime he gives you money save some for yourself.

With inlaws I believe if they’re needy then you should help them out...but not for their extravagances.

Does you mil have anyone who can provide for her? Husband? Are they both old? Let him give her gold as a one of/special present ( tell ur husband it’s from both of you) but don’t make it a regular thing because u need to think about your future. Yeah u may get a job in the future but certain things in life doesn’t make a job always guaranteed. You and your husband may decide it’s better for you to stay at home and look after the kids.

Spend on yourself too. Dont be stingy when it comes to getting things for yourself, your husband, your house. It’s your money too. It shouldn’t be that your living the life of a pauper abroad, making do without certain things and your relatives in india are living a rich life on your income. Sometimes when you give relatives too much they expect it without fail. That can be hard when say for example you can’t send as much because you have a baby on the way or hubby doesn’t earn as much anymore?

Ideally it’s best if gifts are given each way. But what if she doesn’t have the money to give it you or thinks her son provides for you so that’s enough. It would be kind of her to give gifts to you. But do what I say never expect anything from anyone so youre never disappointed. However, your mil may not have gotten gifts from her MIL so she maybe following that pattern. Some people also show their love and kindness in other ways for example by their words and actions rather than gift giving. Does she do that?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    star90, NeetaR and VinuthaS like this.
  5. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

It’s not wrong if your husband gives her..but does she has other source of income or does she depend on her son..
    I also feel if she does not trouble u in any other stuff n does not interfere inur life I think it’s good to give her..
    Don’t even think of mil giving gifts it’s waste of time n going nuts ..they will never give or think ..just leave it..someone says tell them u don’t need it so it’s sll good ...

star90 and sindmani like this.
  6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

IMO, its good to see she has rapport with you to share list of items she want .Rather than most of the MIL's who just make faces and feel bad that their DS/DIL are not gifting , she is far better .

Also regarding spending money on gifts is an individual choice unless its hampering your lifestyle .I will not say you are wrong in expecting gifts from her however as long as you and your DH are in a state to afford what you want ,guess it should not matter about her gifting culture .

There are lot of sacrifices parents make in raising kids .They take education loans, buy everything a kid wants and needs so i guess when a person is a position to gift something to parents back we should not oppose .

star90 likes this.
  7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Your husband has first right on his income . And nothing wrong to gift his mom. Actually I don't like anyone who explicitly asks for gifts , gifts should be given out of choice . But if he is ok there's not much you can do .

A wife doesn't have absolute right on her husband's income . However she has right to interfere if he is being very irresponsible with money , like not saving for future , taking lots of debts .If it's some serious matter like this then wife has right to object as a life partner and mother if his kids. Otherwise he has freedom on his income .

Imagine yourself in his place , if you were working wouldn't you like to gift gold to your mom , for all the sacrifices she made and also how much they must have spent for your education your marriage a little bit gold is nothing compared to that .

Other factor is are you dependent by choice / circumstances or your husband doesn't want you to work . If he is the one who asked you to quit job to stay at home to look after house and kids , in that case you have absolutely equal right over every financial decision .my suggestion would be try and become independent financially then you don't have to worry about these things .

star90, shravs3, Rosey2018 and 2 others like this.
  8. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply.
    Actually all most all the things are available in India. She wants us to buy so that she can save her money (FIL's money). She says its not of good quality in India or not available.Whenever I go out I find all these in the local supermarkets. She doesn't like me spending my husbands money but she has more rights on FIL'S money than himself. Í don't like the way she gets to spend her husbands plus my husbands money . (I make my own money right now.. but my job is temporary) Thats why I am thinking , how is it fair?

Him buying gold is okay if its just once.. I am thinking what if he continues every 6 months we go to India?

9. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

I am working.. (temporary plus some side business) . I wasnt allowed to work for 2 years, now I somehow convinced my husband. My MIL doesnt like me spending my husbands money , nor does she like me working. Why do you say a wife has no right on a husbands money ?

10. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

Hello Sandy

Can you please translate for me..
    Aiyo deva, Whoever said patidev ki Karo seva, Phir milega meva