1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

My vocabulary has increased so much recently! I should probably say thank you, but I'm chicken.

Sunburst and Sandycandy like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So, in a thread in Relationship forum, OP said 'huh what' to my response. Then, effectively said help if you can or buzz off. : ) Being past the age and station in life to insist on the freedom of speech, I buzzed off. But the question under discussion continued to buzz in the mind well after I buzzed off from there. Buzzing in the mind continued for much longer than Ragini will approve of. : ) : ) So, here is an attempt to un-buzz. :lol: Enough of prelude, ado.. on with the question.

If a man has to play peacemaker/mediator between wife and mother as a practice, and they end up patching up (till next time), how does it look to you? All izz well? They are being reasonable and life is going on fine? Or ...?

The picture it brings to my mind is a teacher or parent deciding upon a squabble between two kids. Each one presenting his/her side, and the teacher/parent moderates the discussion, helps the wrongdoer see the error and arranges for a sorry/hug/kiss patch-up.

Is my analogy ignorant? Is man playing mediator a big (necessary?) part of life when his wife and mother have frequent interaction?

Even if the argument was decided in my favor, I would feel very "small" if it needed another person to intervene. Best would be man leaves it to the two women to figure it out, and does not interfere or comment upon how the wife/mother are dealing with it.

Unrelated: how is playing mediator different from standing up for wife?

3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana , I don’t think the husband would have to mediate if it’s a small tiff and can be handled by the two women in his life. It’s obvious things were getting out of hand with a 2 hr shouting match. In this case it makes complete sense for the husband to help them sort their issues and he did help.
    I also wanted to respond to your reply about the FIL mediating issues between the DIl’s. That would be a complete no no IMO. It’s different asking the husband for help vs having the FIL intervene. Why wash dirty linen in front of the FIL ? Why give him the opportunity to know your weaknesses ? What is the guarantee he will be fair towards both DIL’s ? Why complicate the issue further ?

Rihana likes this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Memo :icon_writing:

Rihana likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

It depends on the situation.

If MIL says "Khane mein namak nahin hai. Ma ne pakana nahin sikhaya kya?" DH better jump in quickly with "Yummm dal is perfect."

In OP's situation, 4 young adults yelling at one old woman in a backyard paints an ugly picture and negates any moral high ground OP might otherwise have had. Not smart to expect DH to take sides here.

In general, adults should be able to fight their own fights, but validation and support is always nice.

Meanwhile, OP hasn't yet told me to buzz off. *neener neener* :p

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

When sugar and every thing nice doesn't want any deeper questions asked lest some sugar appears a bit spiced....all one can suggest is .....say "abra ka dabra " and all will be fine.:)

Amica and Sandycandy like this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Laks09, SunPa, nemesis and 1 other person like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, I'm a fan of your posts. Most of the time, I merely click "like" when I really mean "+1000." This time, I feel compelled to say: You blow me away. Your empathy and ability to connect with people is remarkable. As is your willingness to be honest and to give the occasional OP some much-needed tough love.

I'm glad I "met" you. And I'm grateful for the lessons learned.

Sorry not sorry if this embarrasses you. :)

Laks09, Rihana, ashima10 and 4 others like this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Amica if your single like means +1000, then you made some millionaires here!!;)

Laks09, Shanvy, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Agree Amica ! Some pearls of wisdom from @Rihana !

Amica and Rihana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.