On The Ning Nang Nong

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Iravati, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Commodity History

I wish someone pointed to me this bookshelf sooner. My eyes popped out on discovering this unassuming alcove. I sighted ‘Lewis Chessmen’ in that list, thus the above post. Go Iras, amazing trove!

Popular Commodity History Books

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Different strokes

"So you wrote this in few months after writing that. All this is jammed or uploaded somewhere on some site?"

"Absolutely"

"Is anyone reading it?"

"No idea."

"Do you scare people away with your antics?"

"No idea about that as well."

"Did you ever find out what your unsuspecting victims think of you?"

"I don't know. I never suspected anything untoward. May be they think, poor thing lost her brain or something."

"That's it!"

"With bit of brain regeneration every now and then."

"You are mad!"

"I don't know. I never probed much on my sanity."

"You are utterly mad."

"Wait, I will send you the other revision. The latest is midday flight. The upcoming is red-eye flight."

"Would they be very dissimilar from noon to red-eye setting."

"Holy Travel! They are vastly opposing."

"But don't upload it anywhere, and don't fool it over."

"Absolutely! You have my sober word. I will only publicly upload a passenger liner next. Red-eye version is only for your painful eyes."

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Roll! Roll! Drums!

I marvel at even the common technology. When I leave out an item at the self-service in a store, the machine beeps: 'please check for unattended items'. On that follow up shriek, I tuck the lapsed item in my carrier bag.

Last week, I yanked my washing machine door and found a shrivelled sock from the previous wash. I fretted. It looked like a lost pup reluctant to go through another cycle of purge to scrape the endured stink for no fault of its own. Why didn't the machine complain of unattended clothes? With all the hieroglyphs and advanced controls to operate the rolling drum, why could they not furnish alerting mechanism to track the clothes. Only few years ago I read in an article that the most lost item in wash cycles is the sock which the owners don't account for or tend to and walk away. You would indulge in the blame game of owner's responsibility vs launderette's vigilance. No blame game here as we intend to cooperative and analyse how such an important control was lost in the design of a washing machine.

I ferreted the evolution of washing machine from scrub boards to automatic gearboxes. One marginal anecdote was poking out in those random articles on how machine washing conquered American house holds. The anecdote in question was about a genial chappy called William Blackstone who enhanced the design of a primitive rotary drum to facilitate washing of clothes for his wife. He unveiled the assembled machine to his wife as a birthday gift in 1874. The below picture is representational only.

upload_2018-4-18_17-57-6.png

I found my answer. If only he had also worked out how to track the load and alert his loving wife, history would have advanced with Iravati in 2018 picking up her sock with a considerate beep or a ting or a cleek. I know men look for novel ideas to impress women but it is time they look for inimical nooks in a washing machine also to endear a woman.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Remix Bollywood Jukebox

I am a fierce defender of remix mania. Whilst my friends decry the proliferation of remix genre which impairs the charm in the retro music, I oppose such reactionary views. I love the club and house remixes of old songs. What uplifting is music if you only gracefully listen to them and occasionally swing to the melody. The remixes incite you to dance to every banal song, not any lame dance but extemporaneous pyjama dance, which the original song fails to do, as only the hastened remix arouses you to jiggle regardless of your dishevelled state.

And if the original song is already peppy, the remix or mash-up or shake-up makes it peppier. Love live remix culture!

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Remix Bollywood Jukebox

I am a fierce defender of remix mania. Whilst my friends decry the proliferation of remix genre which impairs the charm in the retro music, I oppose such reactionary views. I love the club and house remixes of old songs. What uplifting is music if you only gracefully listen to them and occasionally swing to the melody. The remixes incite you to dance to every banal song, not any lame dance but extemporaneous pyjama dance, which the original song fails to do, as only the hastened remix arouses you to jiggle regardless of your dishevelled state.

And if the original song is already peppy, the remix or mash-up or shake-up makes it peppier. Love live remix culture!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Remxi Obllyoowd Jkbuxeo

I am a iefrec fdendeer of ermxi aanmi. Wislht ym rifends yecdr hte prolefriatnio of ermxi geenr iwchh ipmiras hte hcram in the rtero uscmi, I opospe chus arecitonayr eviws. I oelv hte ulcb nad uhose ersemxi fo old nosgs. Htwa pulgiftin si iumsc fi yuo olyn rcgaluefly iltsen ot htem adn cociaonllasy wsgin to hte omdeyl. Hte remsiex niceti ouy to danec to reevy alban snog, not yan alme adenc but xtpeemrnoaueos aypjma adnec, hichw hte ogrniial gons laifs ot do, as lony hte sahtende rmeix uaroses yuo ot igjgel regarlseds of uyor ihdveesleld satte.

Nad fi hte norigial nsgo is already ppeyp, het reixm ro amsh-up ro haske-up amske it ppepeir. Oelv ilev erimx lcutrue!
    :smilingimp:

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dude, is this the floor plan of your remix factory?

upload_2018-4-22_12-10-42.png

sokanasanah, Sunshine04 and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

David and Water

Being Sunday, I pulled up my Art History course, and went through the slides again.

I came across Konrad Witz's "The Holy Mirror" altarpiece. What is the biblical myth behind David and three soldiers which prefigures the adoration of Magi? I sloppily typed "David and water" in the search box. Boy! I am glad that I am incurably sloppy at times. The search results were filled with David Foster Wallace's "This is Water" commencement speech. No, no, not that David ...I am looking for David and Solomon's David. But wait ...what is this speech about.

I read the transcript.

I have always been a great fan of DF Wallace. Just few days ago, I was talking to a mate about his "Consider the lobster" essay on Maine Lobster Festival. In this commencement speech, he pokes you with 'education is not our capacity to think but our choice of what to think'. Indeed! By the time I finished reading the essay, I was thrilled. This definitely deserves a Nong. Undoubtedly, his voiced humour reflects in all his analogies right from water to SUV-driving skills. Best line:

It's not impossible that some of these people in SUVs have been in horrible auto accidents in the past and now find driving so traumatic that their therapist has all but ordered them to get a huge, heavy SUV so they can feel safe enough to drive

Do read the essay at Kenyon Bulletin, it is life-affirming. People should learn how to cultivate mind and think more than acquiring sterile thoughts.

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

David Foster. One I would easily jump in bed with.

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Testing whether I can simulate external block quote with a tweak.

| external quote

Hmm,

| external quote