1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Value Of Money

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 21, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very true Geeta! An autorickshaw was considered to be a luxury. It was mostly walk or bus. My memory of the 5 paise coin is when an old beggar used to come every Tuesday calling 'seeeeetaram baba'. I used to be waiting at the gate with the 5 paise in my hand and the sound the coin made when it fell into his lota is still quite vivid in my memory.

Talking of books reminds me of fees. My entire year's fee for M.Sc was something like 7000/- rupees if I remember right. That was such a huge amount those days. Today admission to a nursery or KG costs 50 lakhs.

2. satchitananda

Very true Joylokhi. Thanks so much. :)

joylokhi likes this.
  3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

you have no idea how lucky i feel just to know the fact that i know your through your writings !

One of those post whichi think i will never get bored of .

just bought a microwave for mom on her birthday ! they don’t know , waiting for the priceless reaction when it’s delivered :)
    with first salary i bought a photo frame from Archie Gallary :)

Amica, kaniths, sindmani and 4 others like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    The perspective of money changes with parents' money, financial independence , children's money and others' money. No doubt our money is very precious to us, we have freedom to spend as we like. We enjoy the freedom. It gives more pleasure to spend for others, it may be family, gifts or some little charity. We enjoy giving gifts because it makes us happier than taking. When my father wanted to buy some books but had a second thought as they were expensive or mom wanted to buy some fancy kitchen things and postponing indefinitely and when I bought those things for them the feeling is priceless!
    Good one Satchi. Relevant to everyone.
    Syamala

Amica, sindmani, Sunburst and 3 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

That's so sweet of you Ashima! I totally understand the feeling on your buying the microwave for your mom. She must have been so delighted and proud!

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. satchitananda

So rightly said, Shyamala. The pleasure of giving is immense. That is why, by extension of logic, life seems to be more valuable to ourselves when we have a cause (family, friends, strangers) to live for. Somehow, I am unable to understand the theory of live for yourself. Of course, we must live our own lives based on our own convictions, but a life of the I, Me, Myself kind is far from satisfying. That is my personal belief. I am diverging from the point (as usual :p)

Talking of the pleasure of giving, that is why it is said 'lenewala denewale se bada hota hai" (the recipient is bigger than the giver) because he is finally giving us the pleasure of giving by gracefully accepting what we give them. :)

Amica, sindmani, knbg and 2 others like this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, Such a heartwarming thread ! Enjoyed reading everyone’s response !

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Ahhh you made me nostalgic ! And ditto I too felt the same. Only when you earn the money you will know the value of it . I also bought silk saree for my mom with my first salary and whenever she wears any of the sarees I gifted her she feels so proud and happy tat her daughter brought it for her :grin::relaxed: And seeing tat I felt so happy :hearteyes:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

And with our Modiji’s Daya even
    Rs .1000 has become history now :cheer:

kaniths, satchitananda and Sandycandy like this.
  10. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

It’s the feeling of self worth that comes from making your own money without having to depend on anyone. When I was young, I wanted to start working asap so I can shoppp a lot for myself and not have to live on monthly allowance . First salary was spent on buying things for Mom and dad which to date has never been used by them and their excuse is that it’s way too special to them . After that , I used to wait for some special occasions to take them out to restaurants because I wanted to be a “big girl “ spending on everyone :smiley: (not that they let me spend ). After coming to the US , the feeling of buying your first car , paying your loans , your expenses , sponsoring your parents visit to US , all that with your own hard earned money is priceless .