1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How Are Some People Naturally Skinny?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

from past few days I've been upset about being stuck in a weight loss plateau..even 100 -500 grams weight loss seems like a difficult target to me!
    Could not help venting..
    Since childhood I've been on plumper side and always envied and still envy people who are naturally skinny..I have personally known people who would not lift a finger to do any work and just eat n sleep always..in spite of eating burgers, pizzas, outside meals, high calorie milkshake and ice creams regularly they don't appear to gain a single pound of fat..
    I've been quite conscious of my intake since many years.
    Haven't lost a single kg of weight in past 6 months which is very frustrating to me..I know few people who have same issue..
    thanks to social networks the girls who were my childhood friends and classmates in school and college are still in touch..can help but envy those naturally skinny types. One classmate of mine is a total foodie, she was and is still skinny and wears such fashionable outfit. She told me she hogs food like anything but unable to gain weight..
    Can anyone shed some light on how some people consume excess calories but still remain extremely lean? Even some ladies who have 2 kids look like college student?
    even without much exercise or diet restrictions or sensible eating habits?
    The obvious answer is "fast metabolism" ..but how is the metabolic rate of some people alone fast while some have slower metabolism? Is it purely heredity or other factors play a role too?
    My query may seem little silly to many, but if u have some explanations pls let me know..

2. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

1. Hereditary. My friend is an example because her mother is skinny she is also skinny whatever she eat.
    2. Laziness - sitting in front of TV and munching snacks adds up calories
    3. Health illness - I have seen some ppl have thyroid problem so they will be fat
    4. Ppl who exercise regularly will always be fit . We should take care not to eat fatty foods.
    5. My other friend was fat. She went to slimming centre where she had undergone body massage, exercise and diet control to loose weight. After 4 months she was stunningly slim :)
    She said "Focussing on what u eat will help"

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

It all depends on ones body mechanism and genes too play a prominent role . Even I have seen skinny people who hog so much without any guilt but remain skinny . Firstly we need to understand our body mechanism based on many trials and then adopt wats good for us .
    Yes even due to some medical conditions like Thyroid , PCOD etc causes weight gain . Best way to reduce is to eat healthy and good amount of exercise along with controlling the cravings which is the most difficult part .

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Op,

My observations:Take it with a grain of salt. There is some truth in my observations but it is not a thumb rule. It is my own research at decoding the secret. During my student days, I was very very thin and now...I am an all rounder:tonguewink::tonguecrazy::facepalm: err.. a little round all over!:frown:

1. Thin people(tp) are not foodies. They are easily diverted or pacified by other things. For fat people(fp-foodies), happiness, sorrow, party or loneliness- everything is centred around food!

2. When fp miss their food time, they over eat to compensate, while tp ignore and skip the meal totally or they are satiated just by nibbling something.

3.fp devour samosas in a wholesome fashion with total focus and relish, while tp peel the crust, enjoy its crispiness, dig the filling and choose parts of it to be eaten!

4.fp always walk with enthusiasm around food shelves in malls or anywhere. Tp are diverted by many other things like label, colour, expiry date, company, content, calories etc. ;)

5. Most fp are also good cooks while tp are mostly moderate cooks!(I have many exceptions in my own family.)

6.Tp's metabolic cycles are good while that of fp are sluggish. You may blame on heredity, depression, thyroid, gerulin, pcod...

7. Most tp are physically very active/ restless. They rush in n out of the house for the flimsiest of reasons. They are not good at planning:rolleyes: and generally they are early risers. Fp are great planners. They plan their movements only for great purposes n prefer to multitask or outsource!!! They sleep and wake up late.

When there are so many odds against fp, either they battle eternally and stay unhappy or give up the fight half way and eat to their satisfaction and still stay unhappy forever comparing themselves with the tp; eyeing their agility n health/ their hot(?) Bods, their lucky genes n constitution and so on.

I am done for now.:eek: If you discover anything else please share it with me.

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Some ladies are genetically blessed and then there are those that could put on a couple of pounds just looking at food. But it does not mean the skinny person is healthy, I know of really thin people with clogged arteries.
    More than skinny or fat what matters is one is eating healthy, excercising and overall with a healthy self esteem.
    Why not take a break from social media and friends skinny pics while you try to achieve your ideal weight ? It will make the weight loss journey less stressful .

6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Haha Geeta ! That was quite a list ! I love my samosas ( two at a time, crust and all ). I won’t even spare that random lonely pea that falls on the plate .

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

:tongue:

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am one of the those people who people call skinny.However,that is not a compliment.

Firstly..Being FIT is the best thing.
    What's the use of being skinny when you still need to cover up bulges and flab with loose tops?That's when I wanted to be fit.

Resistance training,high protein,healthy fats and complex carbs(Limited)help a person tone up faster.

There are also people who look well built but they are also fit and have flat abs and look like they can kickass.

Focus on getting fit.Not for others but for yourself.

I am not going to lie but weight loss is a tough journey especially and also for skinny fat people who want to get toned.To add to it,there will be naysayers and put down artists.Once,we focus and do what we need to and WIN..that's success.

Nutrition is 80 percent and exercise is 20 percent.You need to change your workouts and add weight training.Build lean muscle and you will rock.Good luck.
    Get fit soon and flaunt fitting clothes!

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

The answer to your question is - it's almost always 'heredity' - I have noticed this since I have gone through the jealousy part after my delivery too , haha.

When I noticed that a few of friends are always thin regardless of marriage, delivery, stress, depression, I wanted to know more.

It's broken into two,
    one, that hogs for everything (they don't stop eating for a second even when depressed)
    Two, they are slowwww n finicky eaters (they barely touch food even when depressed)

N heredity can keep both these categories thin. But that doesn't mean they are healthy, their fat / cholesterol levels will be off the charts n they may have more health issues as well. So thin is not equal to healthy.

N not all fat people eat more either, some eat like a bird n still looks so big, same heredity plays the opposite role here along with some other health issues n add on emotional / stress eating.

N some keeps jumping between thin n fat, like me. Because my one parent was thin n 1 heavy, I have been both forever. We gain weight fast n lose fast too. So have to watch out at 'all' times. It's like being on alert mode forever or else it goes off balance. Emotional / stress eating / health issues adds on as well.

Every "body" has its owns pros n cons, the trick is to experiment n understand our own body n learn how it reacts to what. That's what I have learnt from my own weight journey.

When I hit plateau for a while (it happens often), I do something drastic to pass it. Like fasting, eating strictly calorie deficit food, fruits / veg only, avoid any junk strictly or something like that but completely natural n healthy to which i know my body will react to.

shravs3, Needtobestrong and sindmani like this.
  10. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Again samosas:tonguewink: you too two two..:grinning:

Sandycandy likes this.