1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mom And Dad Marriage

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by beingmom, Apr 21, 2018.

1. beingmom

beingmom Silver IL'ite

Growing up, we were a close-knit family. We went through financial struggles due to my dad's ignorances. He'd simply believes in people based on their talks and would lose money. Even with all these, we had the best childhood we could ever ask for. For a few short months, my mom had to do physical labor for food while dad enjoyed just sitting at home (we are coming from a rich family in the area and only our family became poor among all the relatives). After I got job, I started supporting my family and now my brother is supporting. Now, my mom owns a small business through which she is earning money.

I got married without any expenses for my parents. After marriage also, i've been supporting parents. My main problem is, my dad doesn't respect mom and doesn't even talk to my mom properly. He become so comfortable sitting at home that he expects more money from my sibling. He has his own circle of friends and he was enjoying his bachelor life to the fullest when my mom visited me in US by inviting his friends to home every day and buying them things like chicken etc for cooking in my sibling's money when my sibling is struggling hard to balance his finance.

At this point, he wants a car and all he cares is his own luxury. He is simply sitting at home and cribbing that he struggles a lot in his life. He doesn't talk to my mom happily and always moody when he is at home. He has his own 2 wheeler that he uses to roam around the city every day to meet his friends. But never pick-up/drops my mom at her shop. So, my mom has to walk 2 miles every day after a long work day (i've told my mom to take a break as I can support her completely. But she said she'd go mad if she sits at home and this business is something she thoroughly enjoys). My dad doesn't like my mom doing a business either. He wants her home all the time to serve him food and make tea. He is constantly arguing that my mom should leave the business an stayed home (things were not rosy even before my mom started the business). He went to a great extent to stop my mom from doing business by talking to the shop owner.

My dad loves me a lot, but doesn't even listen/change when I explain things to him. All these years I tried in all the way possible to explain things to him. He wants to show off to people that he has lots of money. It used to be a problem, but not this big of a problem. I realized the magnitude of the problem when my dad visited me for 6 months. Until then, I didn't believe my mom when she explained this thinking dad would never go this far.

He no longer cares/loves mom. He only cares about showing off to others. He wastes a lot of money and expects us to support him. Never satisfies with anything in life. My mom cries every time I talk to her. She said she doesn't know what to do, but can't live with someone who doesn't even want to talk to her. But she is not even ready to take temporary separation and wants him to change to someone who cares about her.

I don't know what to do. It hurts that we are no longer a close family. Dad drifted away and is living in his own dream.

How can I help my mom?

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Your dad is not going to change
    It's best for ur mom to divorce him. She should have some peace and happiness at old age

Sandycandy and MalStrom like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

I can only tell you what I would have thought of doing in such a situation.I would have asked my mom to stay with me forever and start a small home run business to keep herself occupied.But there are many a shortcomings in this plan.First of all,mom can't stay in US longer than 6 months.Also ,she is not ready to leave Dad. But Dad won't ever change. You and your sibling can have an intervention/sit down talk with Dad and tell him point blank that he better mend his ways and start being at least human towards Mom .Otherwise ,he shouldn't expect anything from his kids.This will have to be a very firm action and you should mean it .Honestly,I don't think it would work.He might show a change superficially but deep down he will stay the same.The second way is to work on mom and ask her to emotionally detach herself from him .Just live like roommates.Find pleasure in her business,grandkids and may be ,spiritualism . Also ,you both siblings need to stand united . Can your sibling stop giving him money? If the sibling is married,he can do so citing his own family needs.You both can convey your feelings to Dad by ignoring him and his whims.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Laks09, Sandycandy, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

You and your brother must strictly speak to your dad and ask him to stop acting like tat .

Tell your sibling to stop giving too much money to your dad . Tell your brother to invest on something like property etc so tat he can invest on it and let him tell your dad tat he is supposed to pay EMI so cannot afford much .

Sandycandy and MalStrom like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You probably cannot change your father's behavior at this point, but you and your sibling can stop acting like an unlimited ATM for him. Fix an allowance and don't give him any more. Your brother should start putting his money away in savings. Give your mom money separately if needed so she doesn't have to depend on your dad. Apart from inviting her to spend time with you I don't know what you can do for her if she won't leave your father.

shravs3, Sandycandy, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  6. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

MalStrom likes this.
  7. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Stop giving him money .put the condition if he is good with your mom then he will get .. why don’t u guys make him understand that it is hard for u guys too to spend that much money on him and he could spend on his friends..
    Have your mom with u and your sibling for few months ..

8. beingmom

beingmom Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the response. I stopped giving money to my parents altogether a couple of years ago and I'd buy things whenever I visit them.

My brother only sends a set amount for family expenses. Dad gets some pocket money from that amount. He cannot accept the fact that he only gets little pocket money and wants more. hence, scolds about my brother to my mom.

I told my mom the same thing you ladies recommended. He wouldn't change. However, he wants to keep the reputation in the society and would do anything for that. I asked my mom to move out of the house publicly and stay at her mom's house for a month. It would push him hard to change. I don't expect any big changes. He'd probably change for a short amount of time and would go back to his old self after that. But IMO, it's worth the try.

It's been bothering me so much so that I decided to post here and get your input.

Trust me, I've become very blunt with my dad. I love him, but no respect for him. My mom is one of those humans who live for others. She still loves him and not able to accept that he doesn't care/respect her. She has high self-respect and not able to accept his actions either. It's affecting her health too. I cannot keep her with me in US due to many reasons. She likes India and the city she lives. I wish my dad comes out of his dreamland and sees the blessings he got in his life.

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have been through this situation with one of our closest uncle.

Sharing based on that..

They never change.
    When pushed, slight changes might happen, but its temporary only, things go back to the same.

Never increase the amount of money that's given to him, they are the kind of people that will still want more even if you give millions of dollars a month, nothing is 'ever' enough.

Let him scold all he wants about anyone, continue the control of spending.

From what I have seen, the mom moves in with one of the kids and take turns visiting other kids, even if they live in different cities of the same country or different county altogether.

So you can encourage your mom to move in with you or your brother or move between both your houses. But if she wants to run a business (this is a good thing she's doing), then she may have to settle in one of your houses n visit the other.
    If she can't move in with you, where does your brother / her mother live ?

This is acceptable socially also, so it might be acceptable for your mom as well.

So the choices are..
    She throws him out
    She goes out
    Move in with kids
    Completely focus on business, long work hours, little time at home
    Stop doing house chores for your dad

Once he realizes that your mom will disown him if he continues this behaviour, he will get scared n may change temporarily .. why ?
    No house help / clean house / clean clothes
    No cooking / food / tea
    Very limited money
    Social embarrassment
    Loneliness
    No help when unwell
    Etc

But she would have to be ready to do it all over again when he starts his tantrums again. It's a never ending circle.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

WOMEN, YOU ARE NOT REHABILITATION CENTERS FOR BADLY RAISED MEN. IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO FIX HIM, CHANGE HIM, PARENT HIM OR RAISE HIM. YOU WANT A PARTNER, NOT A PROJECT
    Just read this today