1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Upanayanam Planning In Usa - Pelase Advise

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Apr 20, 2018.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hello,

We are South Indians and planning Upanayanam for my son. Since we are away from India, it is different in planning and buying the necessary things in here. If you have experience in doing the Upanayanam in US. Please share your advises based on your experience on what can we buy here and what should be ordered from India. I am given a list by purohit and thus seeking advise from experienced people in buying the things.

Some of things I am looking for advise is on...

1. Invitation card printing? is it necessary or design it online how do you make it?
    2. arisalu, chakkilaalu to put around the homam. how do you plan to get it ? ordered from India? if so where.
    3.Return gifts sweet and hot packets how did you plan?
    4. If performed at home, decoration plan
    5.Any other items which are important to get from India.
    6. Any other tips

thanks,
    SK

2. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

1. Invitation card printing? is it necessary or design it online how do you make it?
    You can use any online free tools like evite (english only) or epilipu(telugu) or you can design on your own with google drive PPT which gives lot of fonts/languages so on.
    2. arisalu, chakkilaalu to put around the homam. how do you plan to get it ? ordered from India? if so where.
    Generally my friends (or myself) order the traditional sweets from india(parents or siblings from back home will send by outsouring) or you can try garudavega online site, they have good reviews.
    3.Return gifts sweet and hot packets how did you plan?
    Return gifts can be any silver items like ganesha face or kukumbharinas or tulsi plant(silver) or silver flowers and a blouse pieces, and again I always get from India, and same with sweet and savory packs or you can check if you find some home based cooks who can make it, ours area has many home cooks as there is more indian population.
    4. If performed at home, decoration plan
    These days there are many Indian event planners who are doing decorations for any event, or you can do DIY also (there are many options in hobby lobby)
    5.Any other items which are important to get from India.
    Silver Pooja items like deepas, plates and kalish, some people will make silver yugnopavetham too but it depends one own interest.

Good luck

skalluri and sindmani like this.
  3. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

thank you.. that helps.