Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

As thoroughly instructed, I spent only a cursory minute and nothing strikes as an easy gulp in a flash in that 3 X 3 grid as amuse-bouche. Will check the answer next week. Think, it requires Google-Fu!

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I didn't express myself clearly.

I was trying to say that most of the clues (not all) should suggest just a few words instantly, one of which is likely correct. Some Google-Fu will help, but that's more because of trickery and deliberate fuzziness. The suggested strategy for most of my puzzles is the following:
    Get a piece of paper, turn it in the portrait orientation, draw nine columns, one for each pic. In each column, write the words that pop to mind. Then mix and match in various combinations in your searches. The trick is to group them so that they make sense. Here the puzzle has some clues and some deliberate misdirection.

"Easy", "one gulp" etc. mean – for most clues don't overthink and run off on tangents. For example, Row-2, Pic-1 should bring to mind only 4 words instantly - unless you rush off chasing bunnies across the fields, in which case you could find a whole warren! Clues breed like rabbits!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Clues when reused confuse! "Magnificent" was used earlier for that Lorenzo de' Medici. When I see again that Magnificent, Medici and Galileo from the historical puzzle ricochet in my brain.

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

With only "gulp" and "easy",

The first row is sunlight/dawn.
    The second row is some leaf, plant, compass and Greek islands.
    The third row is Planck's equation, with misdirected or magnificent obscuration.

The only phenomenon that strikes me as "easy" is heliotropism, that is, plants (row#2: leaf) respond in the direction (row#2: compass) of sunlight (row#1) as stimulus which was first discovered in the Greek islands (row2: Greek islands), hence the name "heliotropism", and later through a set of tricky studies right from scientific minds like Charles Darwin to discovery of Auxin, the reason behind that predisposition transpired (row3: electromagnetic wavelength).

But that heliotropism is neither amuse-bouche nor micro-know. You won't cast it into a puzzle for it lacks the 'sokanasanah' touch. Dude, your movie clues should be more pleasant and receptive. Do you ever watch family dramas, comedies, you know rom-coms, you know, happy endings, that ilk. Hamesha ..high-octane thrillers.

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

kaniths and sokanasanah like this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I think “magnificent” and “great” have something in common like “big”, or hinting at “grand”.

7. sokanasanah

No need. You could leave it on!:lol:

Feedback, reading squares 1 through 9, L to R:

(1) This pic is information dense. I don't mean that it has a lot of info re: the puzzle, just that it can suggest a lot of words, of which only one is useful. Context helps. You did get the possible words, except that the clue is a complement of one of them!
    (2) Perfect.
    (3) Heh, heh. Connect to 2.
    (4) Yes, you got 2 out of 4 that I pointed to above. Missing two. Remember to not get carried away - one could go off on 'whorled phyllotaxis' (leaf arrangement), then Linnaeus blah, blah, but no, no, no. That @Aria person would do that! What happened to her anyway?
    (5) Yes. Now how does it connect?
    (6) Yes. I imagine this clue to suggest 3 things (maybe 4, apart from the object itself), 2 very strong! You missed a strong one. It is possible to go off chasing rabbits here.
    (7) and (9) Two film posters imply a connection. Hey! Venn diagrams and booleans are useful!!!
    (8) Indeed. Yes. One of those words. Points to?
    :roflmao:

jskls likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

Heh. Heh. Yes. A big red herring. :lol:

9. sokanasanah

If anyone needs more clues, let me know. Until you ask, I assume that you're still working off the base clues.:thumbsup:

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The movies clues are confusing with John Sturges.
    In that 3 x 3 grid, which tile is the key tile?

For all I know, the movie clues are your indulgent prank.