On The Ning Nang Nong

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Iravati, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Practice makes perfect?

... no, training makes perfect not practice. Practice is repetition with no goals or assessment, but training demands insistence in which you list your goals and work towards them. When I started Ning Nang, my openly covert motive was to fix my grammar and adhere to crisp writing. Both areas need much improvement. If I had scratched away for ten hours daily, I would not have progressed until I knew what I sought from this enterprise. That popular adage is contested vehemently even on scientific grounds that one cannot improve with practice alone. Practice chalked in incremental goals matters!

I would love to advance in my language by the 1000th post. Perhaps, get rid of pesky constructs and voluble sentences. A commemorative note on the eve of 250th post to look back on when I reach where I aspire to be somewhere someday when I am less intimidated by the friendly Gotcha! Gang.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Women in Trees

2018 is the centennial year of the suffragist vote for women. In that spirit, here's to the women power or swing or upside-down or climb. Hoy! Next time you go to an exhibition or a flea market don't be stuck with the musty goods but explore the obscurities, who knows, like Jochen Raiss you might also come across inspiration like vintage pictures of women on trees and go on to publish not one but two books titled "Women in Trees" and "More Women in Trees".

More Women in trees and Women still in Trees

and The strange photo trend of posing in trees in the 1920s-1950s - PLAIN Magazine

and finally what am I talking about? Below.

upload_2018-3-22_17-43-43.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Mesmer to Multimedia

Last time when I was in India, our beloved Uncleji showed off a magnetic tabeez which he reckoned improves his blood circulation and muscular prowess and mental agility and a slew of other wholesome benefits. He looked chuffed with the entire imaginary pharmacopoeia condensed in his ropey tabeez. Normally, if my parents were away, I would have slightly ribbed the jolly Uncleji but my parents would have reproved had I pulled out any tamasha in front of them and rallied a scientific screed. Jaane bhi do Ira, shut up! Franz Anton Mesmer (origin of the word "mesmerize") and his animal magnetism had been dead for years, nevertheless, I stumble on antiquated amusement in the form of magnetic bracelets that confer super-human powers.

Internet is rife with all kinds of cod-science. What makes people to choose pseudo science over genuine science? I have no clue. When in doubt, an honoured resource is only a click away yet public prefers to enshrine hoaxes and baloney as transcendental science. One such friendly resource is HHMI BioInteractive which explains science to lay audience through animation and short films. Educational institutions and research centres are commissioning multimedia projects to educate the masses on legit science. A conscientious person must avail oneself of the well-researched material and not rely on hearsay and the dated Mesmer accessories.

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Gives new meaning to the line "... the cold blooded murder of the English tongue"!
    What with the possibility of pledging his troth to her 'n all, perhaps the good guv'nor might have done better to spirit away an aboriginal Eliza. Aaoooowww! :lol:

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

... such cold blooded murder should be avenged by the black widows of Liverpool.

No Aaoooowww, you ungrateful immigrant, back to the roots of dawado

upload_2018-3-22_18-47-14.png

Source: xkcd

Rakhii likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Ah, but then you forget that there's nothing huggy-kissy about Apollo. Our kouros tends to lean a bit to the wild side. This god of music, after winning a contest with Marsyas, in which the wager was that the winner may do with the loser as he pleases, Apollo chose to flay him alive. There are many depictions of this horrific act in western art, the most famous one being the painting by Titian that hangs in the National Museum in Kroměříž, in the Czech Republic. This was Titian's last painting, unfinished at the time of his death, often ranked among the top few paintings of all time.

So, perhaps you might consider Tony Montana and Brian De Palma!:lol:

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dude,

Recently I read a book called "The Rape of the Masters: How Political Correctness Sabotages Art" by Roger Kimball. In that book, John Singer Sargent was described as: "Sargent broke this mold, but continued to bear traces of the confinement. He was shy, musical, mannerly in a fastidious noli me tangere way." That's very picturesque and Titian to describe Sargent in a Nazarene way. Your Titian might have wildly splashed lurid colours but it was the Baroque era's Bernini who meticulously poured life into Ovid's metamorphosis narratives by sculpting a marble rock into an intense struggle between Apollo and Daphne. Bernini! My Bernini!

With godly superheroes caught in evil acts, dude, no Brian De Palma but Zack Snyder to reboot the Olympian Watchmen.

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

A Little Ramble

Kings are remembered not for their acts but for their indiscretions. And one such historic indiscretion casted as a trope for parodies is Louis' entry in his diary for 14 July 1789 during the fall of Bastille. He wrote *"rien", which means nothing, that means, nothing remarkable happened on the day when French regime was keeled. Last night I read Robert Walser's flash story "A Little Ramble" in which he recounts his stroll through the mountains. He ends the story with "We don't need to see anything out of the ordinary. We already see so much". I compared the diary entries of both these men. One, a royal bon vivant, who overlooked the tempête , and other a mentally fragile and institutionalised man, who delighted in rocky woodlands. The second man intrigued me. I set forth to read about him.

upload_2018-3-22_20-29-47.png

Robert Walser (15 April 1878 – 25 December 1956) was a German-speaking Swiss writer.
    Walser is understood to be the missing link between Kleist and Kafka.

Missing links wedged between cross-referenced writers should not be missed. But, wait, I have vaguely read Kafka but Kleist is unknown.

upload_2018-3-22_20-30-41.png

I jumped to Kleist and discovered that he too was a deeply troubled man who eventually committed suicide with his partner in a double act. Two highly-recommended essays showed up under his name.

On the Marionette Theatre
    On the gradual construction of thoughts during speech.

I read both and liked them. The first one is amusing, the second one is insightful.

People pained by the iniquities of the world unleash their ink in a feral stroke. Heinrich von Kleist is considered a writer who was ahead of his times. If you don't understand what it means to be ahead of the times, then skim those essays and you will grasp his defiant airs. I said a little ramble but it turned out, as usual, a winding ramble. Gurgh!

** Whoa: Its seems crafty Louis had two diaries: personal diary and hunting journal. He scratched 'nothing' in his hunting diary to denote that he skipped hunt that day which the tendentious historians mistook for his personal remark on the onset of the ghastly revolution.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Analytica or Novichok?

Which one should we fear more?
    The algorithm that exposes our social disposition or the organophosphorus that inhibits our nervous system? Double bind, eh?

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Boeuf or Beouf?

Let me explain to you the difference between shortcrust pastry and flaky pastry. Flaky pastry is not only used for sausage rolls but also for exciting recipes like boeuf en croute. Here's one which we baked from earlier ...Delia smith swirls around and walks towards the oven.

Wait ..wait ...don't confuse me Delia so boeuf and beouf are both pronounced buff? So, there's boeuf from boeuf en croute and beouf from Shia LaBeouf. Are they connected? Delia would be of no help but Google surely may provide beefy insights on this puzzlement.

I pull up the biography of Shia LaBeouf, South Lousiana, Cajun, French-speaking descendants from Acadia in Canada, French exiles from French during the Seven Years' War. Beef pastry and Boeuf and Beouf are all imports of France. That cannot be a lazy coincidence. May be Boeuf was smudged as Beouf, or does Beouf have a split origin?

Interesting! OK, back to quiches and pastries. Delia, you are amazin' the way you softly explain why lard and flour should not be smashed up and gently mixed so that flour absorbs water too.