Is It Bad ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Mar 22, 2018.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Since childhood I get irritated if spellings are not proper ! Like using short forms and stuff! Not tat I’m looking down on their spellings ! I’m not grammar nazi :tongueclosed: I know to save time most of us type it shortly like skipping vowels sometimes including me ! I used to do tat in college days but later I felt it’s bad ! If most of the words are short I get annoyed ! I get confused too !! Sometimes I do tell them to avoid ! Am I sounding harsh to them ??

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Sandycandy, GeetaKashyap and Star25 like this.
  2. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Some of them do it deliberately out of laziness.. Its ok to tell such people even if harsh, it doesn't matter. If we don't tell them they wouldn't know it is wrong in the first place. Well some others are ignorant, they might get hurt if they are told. While few others even if we tell, they wouldn't care. Its up to us to judge in which category they fall under and decide whether to be harsh or not. That's my opinion.

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Was the word ‘tat’ intentionally Used here ?
    Just kidding

I may be out of style here but I do not use any short forms ... maybe some spelling mistakes while texting because of autocorrect feature but I don’t say it to anyone either unless it’s My kids school work. It’s definitely hard to read abbreviated or shorthand text but doesn’t bother me. JMO (pun intended).

To your question You can say it once but it’s upto them to take it or leave it. No it’s not bad to say

Shisha, Sunburst, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Since childhood I get irritated if spellings are not proper ! Like using short forms and stuff! Not tat I’m looking down on their spellings ! I’m not grammar nazi :tongueclosed: I know to save time most of us type it shortly like skipping vowels sometimes including me ! I used to do tat in college days but later I felt it’s bad ! if for most of the words are short I get annoyed ! I get confused too !! Sometimes I do tell them to avoid ! Am I sounding harsh to them

If the above is unintentional, then you know how others get to use short forms-either out of laziness or practice. If you are not able to use 'that' , then different people will have different words that they cannot use.

Having said all, I do not like the use of short forms in formal settings, like official mails or anything that is going to be saved for future records. It surely is not a healthy habit. It is not wrong to point out if the settings where it is used is formal. In-fact you would be doing a favour for them by helping them remember this mistake.

But to keep reminding people during informal chat will piss off anyone naturally. So it isnt about right / wrong but where you correct them.

Shisha, Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

LOL :wink: I purposely used tat instead of that ! And especially in public forums like this when people are sharing their feelings and many things ! I feel bad if anyone is trying to cut short most of the words ! It may be difficult for some to understand and reply to their posts ! :openmouth:

Sandycandy, iamsrihere and jskls like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True @Star25 !
    Agreed !!

7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, people are sensitive and wouldn't like it. You can say when the familiarity builds up. Some people use so many short-forms that it is impossible to understand till you get used to it. In official writings I ensure to not use any short forms but in unofficial messages I do use them:)

8. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes it will sound rude if said when ppl just use few short words which are way commonly used by all .. if they write everything in short it's hard to understand ..
    We never know some ppl might have just started to learn English n do spelling mistake as well ..
    It takes me a while to understand or make sense out of it when someone writes wrong sentence ..

GeetaKashyap and Sandycandy like this.
  9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Y vorry ? S far s msg is convd ! Evry1 is Bzy ! :icon_pc:

Star25, Sunburst and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Since convd can be taken as either conveyed or convoyed :banana:.And every1 can be Buzzy too :BangHead:

Sandycandy and GeetaKashyap like this.