1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relation With Dh And In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Please understand...
    If your DH is badly affected by his parents' partiality and if that hurts his feelings to the extend that he gets frustrated for years, then the issue is rather very serious.
    You can very well put your foot down, and make sure no one - not even his folks enter into your life (including that of your DH) to further damage your family's sanity.
    Since you are a loving spouse, your DH will see/understand your POV, and agree to it.
    You can be firm and make every thing a clear full stop.

Nevertheless, the case looks different to me. Not sure whether I clearly understood your case or not.
    A frustrated and unhappy man will not voluntarily and happily extend supports to his FOO, that too after clearly acknowledging the fact that he is frustrated and unhappy because of their partiality.
    If he does so, he may be suffering from a very low self esteem - which definitely needs therapy.
    Because it is human nature to feel bad when someone is partial towards us.

That's why I fail to understand your POV here.
    Basically many men in our context are subjected to partiality by their parents who suck their son's blood to lead a luxury life and help their favorite children. But the important part is that these sons do not understand this partiality. They are being fooled, hence they happily support their FOO.
    But in your case, looks like your H is unhappy and frustrated, which shows how much he understands this partiality. Then why the hell he continues to be the victim?

sindmani likes this.
  2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

It's not bizzare. That is Indian man psychology .

Sandycandy, Meet9 and sindmani like this.
  3. nakshatra1

I understand your situation very well We can't ignore, afterall after marriage we are almost one and whatever DH does affects me, it's not that we can ignore the PILs even for our sakes alone.And especially in love marriage, you can't see your husband suffering deeply yet ignore saying it's not my problem.It's easy to suggest that don't have interaction with PILs and don't interfere in DH life. But in reality, due to PILs, DH emotional health, physical health etc get affected due to stress then his wife gets affected equally. And our future gets affected. Inspite of everything DH will do his duty and stay with them in joint family, then can a wife not be affected by the PILs' nature/attitude? A good parent is never partial towards the kids and never differentiate. And in Indian context we get affected by DH relationship with his FOO, because in India the DIL marries not just the guy but his entire family and she can't ignore.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Sandycandy and Meet9 like this.
  4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

You can ............... not even his folks enter into your life (including that of your DH) to further damage your family's sanity.Since you are a loving spouse, your DH will see/understand your POV, and agree to it.
    You can be firm and make every thing a clear full stop.

I cannot let that happen because 1. partiality is subtle, sometimes not blatantly apparent, initially we used to give everything a benefit of doubt, but it continued for a decade now...(I think I read somewhere that once you keep staying in a negative way for a long time, it becomes a habit and you get used to it)....so we became the couple on whom anyone can walk, rather than speaking up and against we just everytime "understood" them...like my DH sending rakhi gift as saree to his sister compared with BIL sending it, SIL would happily post pics wearing saree immediately after getting it and thank you messages for BIL in group chat(whatsapp), for DH, she didnt even call, my DH called her if she received the gift, she did and then she said thanks and showed her happiness!- in this case she did say thanks but was their any warmth as compared to BIL?? there has none nil discomfort or fights between us and her.....long back when we met, she would always show her jealousy and insecurity to me by talking dominatingly to DH and me (she admitted she never paid attention to studies in school and get jealous by all working women), I used to send her gifts by carefully spending time effort and money, I never ever got thanks, forget it, its always I who called her, and there will be a cold thank you.
    2. we will be all alone if we lose ties completely.....my side family has no siblings, there are cousins again I became distant after I came to US, and there is formal relationship, DH siblings kids are going to be the only cousins....of course,I try best to make as many friends etc..but I think we all know how life is in US, social close network of friends is hard to come by.....
    3. DH feels better after just talking to them, because it is after all his real brother sister they spent their childhood together.. its like they talk well over phone but the partiality is apparent in their actions (like spending time with us vs with BIL family, FIL giving gifts to other grandkids, FIL giving gifts for the other grandkids-from the money we give to them so they can have comfortable life, MIL giving the pure wool expensive sweater my DH bought for her from his first paycheck giving that casually to BIL's wife for keeps, MIL giving my gifts to her to her daugher like handbags/scarfs/bedsheets/linen/fancy juicer anything will land up in sister in laws home(for juicer she said she got itin SIL home to check how to operate and forgot to get it back, she has kids, they like juice so I gave it to her) in laws giving a lot of gifts to BIL wife for her every birthday anniversary gold jewelry while nothing NADA to me (BIL family never stayed with in laws they live in different city but keep visiting every month)...for this last one, its not that I am hungry for jewelry- Its like why the bias? when she also is not staying with them and they always crib about her always bad mouth her, but keep giving her favored status...
    and nothing can be done about it...again because my kids will be all alone with no one to talk to in family..which is why we will compromise....[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yes I agree, Indian Men even if unhappy from inside and feel the partiality, they will not take action and cannot also because they fear being left alone...this fear is legitimate.....this is also called as adult bullying....isolating the brother/sister who doesnt conform to their societal norm (DH and me married intercaste)....they will keep relations like in front of relatives as if they have embraced us but from inside they play these dirty family politics.....believe it or not, this form of bullying has a deep impact on the psyche of victim because he gets isolated....when your own parents or siblings do it..its more painful.....it becomes a vicious circle....a child is always a child...always hungry for moms love and dads support even if he/she is 50 years old.....whether he takes any action (as suggested by SGBV, why DH is continuing to be victim, ) or no action- he will suffer.....in my case DH does take actions sometimes, sometimes he sucks it up...and we relieve stress within the family..take outings/spend time with each other....that wound will always be there...

6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

A frustrated and unhappy man will not voluntarily and happily extend supports to his FOO, that too after clearly acknowledging the fact that he is frustrated and unhappy because of their partiality.

The family dynamics / politics is set in such a way that this partiality would become apparent in waves! like everything will be calm and cool (not normal warmth) in relations, there will be calls to my DH from in laws sister brother..coochy cooing him with affection..finally they ask what they need (mostly its not money anymore)- like using his wisdom for helping out BIL in his career, again using DH expertise on buying home/interest rates, since we have struggles in life and had setbacks- they will inquire what we did wrong again and again, so they dont do that mistake in their life to make their life better...at the time of our setbacks, they never talked and showed any sympathy...years after that when they face the 1/10th of the same thing, they become little cat who needs support from their big bro.....when their motives are accomplished, they will go back to their original behavior.....this is like a pattern for the last 12 years now.....every time now its become so predictable that I can truly guess whats gonna happen now.....

7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

You have understood my situation perfect to the T, thank you! How many of us can go for therapists for this? do all indian bahus go to counsellors? I think again these are the demons we need to deal with on our own, we suffer, we cry, we come out of it, we redefine the relations, we redefine our terms, we redirect our energies, we live, we again suffer a different setback and we now again need introspection to how to deal with it.....in between of all this, we live our life by finding happiness in little things of life.....lucky are those people, who dont have to bear the injustice from own parents...well!! they may have different sets of struggles....or not, some people do are lucky enough to get everything....

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

By posting here, I expected and got support and suggestions, rational point of view (which when we are in stress dont get it), at the moment when I was at peak....then things calmed down, your suggestions have given me reassurances that yes when I deal with it I am dealing it by following right path and that I am not alone....
    Thank you to all of you.....

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. nakshatra1

I understand everything you are saying . Can't help you much but will surely pray for you

Meet9 likes this.
  10. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

25 Great Tips for Building a Relationship With Your In-Laws

Common Courtesy Can Go a Long Way. “My experience was difficult at first. But, when I realized that they didn’t dislike me, they just would miss their son, it all changed. Respect, honesty and common courtesy goes a long way. Eventually, the F.E.A.R (false evidence appearing real) goes away, guards are dropped and you realize you’re now an extended family – not a discontinuation of one.” -Jenny Campbell

Seek Advice Without Accusation. “Understand that they have loved your spouse much longer than you. Never put them in a position where they have to defend their child. Seek advice without accusations. Celebrate them for their support and encouragement of your spouse.” -Frances Siple

Extend Grace. “…the key to our relationship is respect and grace.” -Melissa Stratton Sanchez

Treat Them As Family. I have always looked at my in-laws like they’re my blood and it has made it so much easier to get along. We have all worked hard to make it important to us, though. It’s not always easy, but it has to matter enough to you to keep on working on it! -Laurina Rose Hendrickson

Be True to Who You Are. “Being yourself. Eventually it will work out. If you try to be something/someone you’re not, it will only cause everyone problems down the line.” -Karen Royalty Smith

Have Your Spouse Resolve Conflict. “When there is conflict between me and whomever, I talk it over with my husband and he talks to them. For one, they’re his family and he knows how to talk to them, and for two it takes him out of the middle – he doesn’t have to choose between me and them, he helps to resolve any conflict instead of letting one build.” -Tresa Koester

Give it Time. Realize relationships take TIME to build. One or even several large scale fights do not mean you cannot have a relationship. You may be very different people and it takes TIME to look at the world from another person’s viewpoint with love. Don’t give up. Always be kind. Give it time. -Tristan Roszkowski

Accentuate the Positive. “I love my mother-in-law. I think it helps to try to accentuate the positive. She is loving, giving, and incredibly kind. Of course, there are quirks that irritate me now and again, but in those moments, I try to remind myself that she is only doing what she thinks is best based off of her experience.” -Brittany Nielson

Include Them. Including them in all aspects of our lives, calling several times a week and including them on our family vacations with the kids. We WANT our children to have amazing memories of their grandparents. One day, WE will be the grandparents and would love the same respect. -Lori Ann Kennelly

Do Not Differentiate. “We never differentiate between “YOUR family” or “MY family”. It’s always OUR family from the day we were married. We love and respect each others parents and they love and respect us. We laugh, love and support each other as much as we can.” -Barbara Rocco Adams

Let Them Out of The Box. “For me, it has been to let them out of the little box I thought they were supposed to fit in. To be patient. To love and accept them as they are! I think I expected them to be like my family, and they are not. And that’s ok. It’s great, actually! They’re awesome!” -Stacy Smith Bishop

Remember Who They Are. “Remembering they raised and love the person you love and enjoy their company.” -Jeanine Parrish Giuliano

Remove Pride. “Love! Not being so prideful myself that I ignore their wisdom and love. They truly love me as their daughter and I love them as parents. Love never fails!” -Molinda Bailey

They Are Not the Enemy. “Mutual respect, not looking at your mother in law like she is an “enemy”, set healthy boundaries early on, communicate well, and a hug truly goes a long way.” -Alaina Marie

Know Your Roles. “Respect. Knowing each person’s role in their partner’s lives. A lot of times it can verge on who is SIGNIFICANT in their lives still? Each party has a different love type and level. When both parties respect that…then you have peace and harmony.” -June Robinson

Protect Your Words. “Prayer, self-assessment, forgiveness, always be humble and protect your own words, they become a part of your life and last forever.” -Melissa Dyer
    Respect Their Position. “Respect their positions as parents (and grandparents, if apply)….Always be honest….Show constant love and gratitude for raising a wonderful child!” -Sheryl Taylor

Build a Friendship. “Love them, I mean really love them. Build a friendship with them and include them in your life, not just in areas where your spouse is involved but in all areas. Pray for God to connect your families together also.” -Vycki South

Have No Expectations. “Having their grandchildren, having no great expectations & just letting go of criticism – they see it as trying to help – believing the intention is good.” -Sara Litzkow Wax

Let Go of Grudges. “Be honest but respectful at the same time. Let go of grudges. Be patient. Have fun together! Communicate! Laugh! Share stories!” -Lesley Michelle Callahan Rogers

Don’t Put on a Show. “My relationship with my mother-in-law is separate from my relationship with my husband. I spend time alone with her…I don’t say negative things to her about him…and I act like me. I never put on a show for her.” -Angela Swartz

Bring Presumptions to the Surface. “Communication. Period. It was rough in the beginning but once I cleared the air by bringing all the presumptions to the surface, it’s been awesome ever since — and that was 13 years ago.” -Carlie Kercheval

Find a Respectful Approach. “If they raised the man of your dreams treat them as they are the reason he exists. Vent to your honey first, if something bothers you, to come up with the most respectful approach to not only them but your honey – respect them as HIS parents but love them as your own.” -Kristyn Johnson

Take Initiative. “Take initiative with them, don’t ignore them and wait for them to do so. Invite them for dinner, help your husband shop/buy gifts for them, etc. Include them in your good news! Help make them feel special and an important part of your life.” -Emily Reese

It’s a Package Deal. “Always put in mind/heart that it’s a package deal. Love your In-laws as much as you love your husband no matter what.” -Shirley Topang

இது நமக்கு சம்பந்தம் இல்லாத பகுதி...... [​IMG]