State Board Or Cbse Which Is Best

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by catherine26, Mar 21, 2018.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

hi
    My son is 3 1/2 age my dh is planning to put lkg in cbse but I'm out of mind if we put our son in cbse whether he will struggle in tenth or twelfth std exam? Which is best cbse or state board?

2. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

If you are not going to move out of the State during the schooling years of your son, then I would recommend State Board syllabus only.

Though CBSE is considered to be more broad based in syllabus and imparting knowledge, I feel that the schools tax the students (read parents) with n number of projects, which becomes an irritant for both the child and the parent.

Moreover, a knowledgeable child will learn the subject from any syllabus. Only problem with state board is they force children to memorise rather than make them understand the concepts. If you can help your son in understanding the concepts, then, studying in State board makes life much more easier for both the child and the parent.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

CBSE is better. It may be difficult in the beginning but later stages it makes easier since most of the advanced concepts are already covered! Till 10th you can continue and for 12th you can change to state . If it’s cbse you always have an option to change to state but vice versa it’s difficult !

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

cbse.

but let him enjoy school. why are you worried about 10/12 even before kg

cliona likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

CBSE definitely !

shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Choose CBSE. Anytime in future, if it doesn't workout, you can shift back to state board. From state board you cannot change over to other boards. State board is the lowest in the hierarchy. CBSE regularly improves it's assessment methods and it is very student friendly in giving marks too, you will see it's benefit at the higher standards. ;) State boards lack innovation and emphasize on rote learning. CBSE works best if you are in a transferable job also.

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i would disagree on the rote learning stamp being given to state board and that there is no innovative learning going on.

cbse is not best per se. cbse is better of the two . cbse has a better acceptance as of now, and is better conducive if a child wants to compete in exams, and entrances like iit, neet. that said not all schools prepare the kids for these exams. it depends on the kid’s interest and other influening factors.

it is not so easy for a cbse kid to adapt to the present state board unless he is good at it.

with stateboards trying to up their standards after the last year neet fiasco and also cbse thinking of reducing the syllabbus by 50% i would say wait and watch. in the last few terms of these govt. evey edu/hrd minister has wanted to leave his mark. and none realiy took into account what education in india realky needs.. wel this is not the subject for this post.

op, i would still say cbse, but do not worry about 10/12 now. look for a school that would make his foundation good. where he learns and enjoys learning instead of writing and reading because he has to do. a kid who enjoys what he learns and applies it, is the one who may become a innovator tomorrow..

http://www.newindianexpress.com/lif...method-to-help-aged-sweeper-sweep-1648440.amp

31 award-winning inventions by Indian school kids that will make our lives easier! | RE- Learning
    some of them are from govt schools..

all the best.

SunPa likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

CBSE, ICSC and the State Boards follow the curriculum as advised by the NCERT.

State Board caters to all classes of people including the Adivasis and other people who live in areas with namesake schools.So keeping the NCERT syllabus as a base, the state board touches basic levels in most subjects. Somehow even at degree levels, even in technical subjects, rote answers are given more marks and less marks are given when answers are written in own words. I have the experience of Karnataka and Maharashtra Boards. When my son who did primary in ICSC, shifted to high school SSC board due to school issues, in the very first month I had a great clarification. In the history text the first lesson spoke of 'vassals and serfs in Europe.' The word serf was not explained but a sentence said '....so the serfs revolted.' While the 1st unit test asked the question, 'Who were serfs?'. Since I had taught my son, he wrote the dictionary meaning and earned 'zero!'. While the other (orignal State Board) students wrote that line which in no way explained who were serfs. They got full marks. When I asked the History teacher, she said, 'Forget your ICSC system n write what is given in the text. Though your son's answer is right we could not give marks as per the Board rule (whatever is in the text has to be reproduced in toto!)' Finally even during 10th board exams, I was separately clarified to advice my son to byheart the answers if he wanted full marks! We had no options but to byheart. Even at degree level, the story is no different!!! Since their base is large and covers the lowest strata of the society, on principle, they cannot simply raise the bar. Every state implements NCERT guidelines as per its own discretion. That way state 'x' may be marginally better than state 'y'.

CBSE caters mainly to Central Government Employees who face transfers across India. This follows mid-level implementation of NCERT. Anybody can seek admission here. Lately it has gained popularity due to their student friendly approach and liberal(?) Marking system.

ICSC caters to richer families with some focus on international adoptation.Their syllabus follows higher level of NCERT advice.

IGCSE & ISC focus totally on preparing students for international movements at any levels.

A student can move from any board to State Board but from state Board he cannot go to other boards easily, unless exceptional conditions prevail.

Stray individual teachers, schools and students always try to excel beyond their confines, but this is not a norm.

OP, if you choose CBSE now, anytime in future, you have the option of shifting to State Board.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Mahanu, Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  9. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

CBSE..You have the option of changing boards if you feel syllabus is heavy for your child.

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

op all the best. i am not willing to dissect this topic in this thread anymore. i am from icse, dh is from a corporation school and my kids are from cbse.

ncert evolves and i have a huge axe to grind with cbse. but that is a topic for another day.

what i wanted to say rote learning was not just stateboard, i can show that it is happening across all boards sans igcse. the only difference is the usage of the term keywords. a answer in cbse requires you to have the keywords without which the answer is considered wrong.

so pick a good school near you. let him enjoy school. i stand by this.