1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aruvi Movie A Treat To The Soul!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sweety2016, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Dear movie lovers,

Watched aruvi movie last week and I am still mesmerized by it. Its a simple movie loaded with debutants yet very powerful! I can easily rate it as one of the most sensible movies of Tamil cinema...The lead actress aditi balan will stay in our minds for such a power packed performance. I am sad that this movie is not marketed properly...
    Anyone else who watched it and liked it?

2. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

I watched it in theatre :grinning::grinning: I loved it.. I have a few doubts though..

puni88 likes this.
  3. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Can you share your doubts?

4. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

If anyone has a physical relationship with HIV +ve person, i thought that person will become HIV +ve.. But here it is not so in this movie..
    She says that she was careful while making out with them. How can she be careful? That too when she did with one she was intoxicated and with other she was hypnotised... She was not in her senses...

madras2018, Sweety2016 and puni88 like this.
  5. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

True anushri..Even am confused :confundio1:...May be she wore some menstrual cups or tampoons:rolleye:

6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I watched this movie and was so disgusted with the story. I literally hated myself for watching it forgoing my sleep on a Sunday night!
    The movie says that the lead character is a strong lady...a girl repressed by the society....frustrated by the society ...
    I all I found was a girl who was ready to take anything and everything that came her way.
    She is HIV+ and none of her family members are ready to believe that she didnt do anything wrong. In an age and time where there is a test to prove anything and everything, the parents just blindly keep talking bad about her and send her out of the house.
    She doesn't fight them, she doesn't try to convince them and leaves to stay with her friend. The friend's father forces himself on her...that is how it is shown. She doesnt do anything or whatever she did isn't shown.....she then goes to work in a tailor shop or such. Takes a loan from the owner for her father's heart ailment and when the family doesnt accept it, she goes on a vacation with her friend using that money?!?!?

She is then shown having affair with the business owner and the swamy in the temple....(I don't really remember the order)

Then she calmly walks into the mock setup of solvadellam unmai and tells them that she is HIV+ and that they have a risk and thereon she behaves so senselessly.....

Where did she fight the society? Holding a bunch of people from a show isn't maturity! that isn't fighting back!
    Had she been really the so called fighter, she would have gone and proved her parents wrong. She would have returned the loan that she took from the business owner the minute her family rejected it! She would have cared for her friend Emily the way her friend cared for her!

I just wasted 2+ hours of my time watching this so called pathetic excuse of a film!

madras2018, coffeecups and AnooSA like this.
  7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Different people have different thoughts though. I found that the movie was just beautiful! Heart-breaking yes, but a beautiful film nonetheless

eternalnomad likes this.
  8. Raffaello

Raffaello Silver IL'ite

Watched on Amazon prime, surely worth the watch, one shot dialogue she speaks about happiness in that reality show scene is way too good. The character is like a waterfall she has portrayed it so well that we started to believe she has hiv so convincing
    . Bit slow movie.. Liked it in pieces and for performance of the lead .. Deserves national award ..

9. eternalnomad

eternalnomad Silver IL'ite

I loved everything about this movie. Here's another way to think about it - the movie isn't necessarily meant to portray perfection. In a perfect/ideal world, such things wouldn't happen. But let's be realistic, misconceptions associated with HIV and AIDS are still rampant in our society. Most ppl suffering from this condition are shunned by family and friends even though it's much more manageable these days with advances in medicine. Aruvi is placed in a vulnerable situation due to no fault of her own and her own parents refuse to stand by her but it's just symptomatic of a society they live in. She's then forced to depend on various ppl (like her friend's family, like the dodgy boss) who exploit her and take advantage of her situation. You can always argue that she could've behaved differently but then if you're a girl barely out of school thrust out into the big, bad world, do you really have many choices? And the whole hostage drama of the reality show, that to me was her trying to tell her story and at the same time, mocking what our society has become.. everyone preaches self-righteousness and morality on tv but are these ppl really practising it? I thought Lakshmi Gopalaswamy's character was brilliant and a good caricature of the many ppl we see on tv these days. The dialogue said by Aruvi about not wanting to fit in with society's norms is a real eye-opener, we all try to chase the "idea" of success as shown by others which is largely materialistic but one can still be happy without any of that.

Raffaello likes this.
  10. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

What i loved about the movie is the last 30 mins that showed the transience of human life. And Aruvi was not as blessed as many of us are. She had to fight the disease alone as it slowly engulfed her inspite of her brave defiance. The innocence of her soul was rightly captured when she posts that last message in fb. She still says she misses her family in spite of them behaving in a typical way disowning her.

@beautifullife30 To each his own way of visualising things and I respect your opinion that you did not like the film.

But this is how I understood the points you have mentioned.

She belongs to a conservative middle class family who are not broad minded enough to accept her or believe her fearing the society. Such families still exist even today and the movie focuses on that. She is already getting crippled by the disease and where would she get the physical and mental strength to deal with her family and prove them her innocence. She thanks emily for what all she has done for her and expresses her pain for not reciprocating in some form to her. What more can we expect from a young 20 year old dying girl?
    The boss satisfied his lust and in favor gave her the money. In that moment when she is certain of the imminent death in few months, Why should she be so righteous and return the money back to a moron who exploited her? Going for a vacation is her guilty pleasure and is completely justified!
    Moreover she is not out there to prove anything, she just wanted to live her life peacefully till death and it seems the society (defined by the people who are strong and influential) is hellbent in not allowing her to. Hence, just to do justice to her self and vent it out she goes to the show. She knows now with HIV no one would dare to mess up with her and sadly her disease became her strength.