1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ssshhhh

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Mar 21, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Clumsily he dropped his purse on the floor and when he went to retrieve it, he went in single knee, asked her the question. The crowd stood in rapt attention and all the eyes fell on her. She knew it’s too late to tell him what she wanted. She nodded and as crowd erupted in applause, future looked bright like the ring, the man in front of her was holding.

As her fingers finished typing she could almost hear ‘Wait, Is this not our story?’ he would have asked if he was present here. Her hands were instantly sweaty when she thought about Vinay and she was shuddering as she thought how he will receive the news.

Almost one year into their marriage and Vinay doesn’t have a clue about it. She wanted to open it to him before their first anniversary, the deadline they had set to start the family.

His eyes were in a haze as he held her hand, accepting congratulations from the crowd gathered. That was his birthday and from now on will be the best one.

‘Congrats, my boy. You have chosen well.’ His dad patted on his shoulders and asked him ‘Did you see my cigar case. It’s missing’

‘I don’t know what’s special about the cigar case.You look lovely tonight.’ His mother pinched the cheeks of her soon to be daughter in law.’

From that night till now she never got the right moment to tell him the truth, that she is actually a …………

She stopped in mid sentence. Her Siamese cat climbed into her lap. It was one of his thoughtful gifts from Vinay. He loved to pamper her and never frowned on her shopping bills. They explored the world when he went to business meetings, where she wrote in the hotel room when he attended the business meetings.

It killed her not to reveal to him at the same time she couldn’t control herself.

Gently nudged by the counselor she considered coming clean to him

‘He treats me like a princess; I never had to face his temper and I’m scared of doing that.’ She confessed.

‘If he loves you he will understand. I’m sure he will support you.Would you want me to convey him?’ counselor asked hopefully.

‘No. I will find a way.’ She said and debated on how to reveal it to him.

‘When are you unpacking your bags?’ he asked her a day after they returned from honeymoon.

‘Later today. I have all the time in the world.’ she snuggled next to him.

‘Is that your plan for the day?’ he teased.

‘Yes along with locating your mom’s diamond ear rings..’

‘Don’t tell me she lost it again…’ he laughed

She closed her eyes as the memories surrounded her. Their honeymoon in Fiji and the days followed where she happily started her married life with Vinay, understanding him. Soon she understood his temper, he was a trust worthy and honest person and expected the same from others whether it’s business or life partner. It prevented her from opening up her heart despite her promise to counselor.

It was then she decided to convey it through a story as he loved reading her stories.

‘Where do you want to go this weekend? Shall we do some trekking?’ Vinay asked her.

‘You haven’t taken me to our farmhouse yet. I want to know what it feels like writing a story there. Please’ she pleaded. Together they decided that she will leave early and he will join her that weekend.

Sipping the tender coconut she looked out of window. The bright early summer light made the house look bigger. The caretaker showed her around and she felt like a little girl once forgetting all her worries.

‘Take me to the nearest shop. I want to stock up the kitchen.’ She asked and loaded the kitchen with enough food for a week.

When she was alone in the safety of the bedroom she took out the object hiding in her handbag- small silver idol which belong to the shop owner. It was a struggle not to steal it from the shop.

How would Vinay react once he knows I’m a kleptomaniac? Would he feel deceived? I couldn’t control my urge how much ever I try.She asked herself patting her cat.

Her hands reached the handbag for the almirah key. ‘Silly me. I have to find some other hiding place till I reach home.’

She was shocked to find key not in the usual place and she remember opening it yesterday to dump the perfume she had stolen from ‘The High shop.’ Have I left the key in door? Would he have found it? His dad’s cigar case, mom’s diamond ring, sister’s bracelet..noo this was thousand times worse than she anticipated.

Her phone rang as she typed the sentence. It was Vinay who called her to convey that his meeting is cancelled and he is on the way towards their farm house.

She dialed her husband’s number and he didn’t respond. Her heart filled with panic and she could hear the voice of her husband talking with caretaker.

How am I going to face him she paced around the bedroom and sat in the bed. He entered the room and without any word opened the overnight case and took out his dad’s cigar case, mom’s diamond ring and…

‘I wanted to tell you this weekend…’ she started meekly and for the first time his hands touched her roughly. He shook her with full strength and pushed her down

‘How could you?’ he asked as her and stormed out of the room.

As she typed the line sleep enveloped her. She woke up at the thick of night. She reached for her mobile which was missing. Indicator in her laptop blinked and to her horror she could see rest of the story typed.

She looked through the window to find her husband sending away the farm house care taker for a week’s vacation stating they need privacy. With no humans and houses near by their farm house scared her. Would he harm me? She thought. Her body reacted in flight mode and she went outside the house via back door. Her slim figure made it easy to hide behind the motor.She breathed with relief as he went inside the house and locked it.

‘In next few minutes I should slowly make my way out’ she decided. Those were the longest five minutes in her life.

When she slowly tried to jump the fence she could feel something on her feet. It was her cat and as she bent down to retrieve it his hands gripped hers.

She was drenched in sweat as she read it and she could feel something in her feet. She didn’t make any attempt to see what’s on her feet.

‘Nice story darling. I added few lines when you were sleeping like a log.’ Vinay smiled at her.

‘Vinay that’s actually..my… I mean I wanted to tell you long before.’

His lips became flat as he said ‘ I figured that out and do you want to know how the story ends?’ He typed the next few lines as she read in horror:

She ran like a mad woman around the house despite her husband screaming something at her. Her legs slipped and before she realized water was surrounding her. Help!I don’t know swimming she shouted.

‘So do I’ he said and smiled.

‘No…’ she screamed and tried to run outside. Doors were locked and keys were not in the vicinity.

‘Stop right there…read the rest of story’ Vinay shouted and she froze as he came near her. She was afraid of his temper and the last memory before she fainted was the firm arms of her husband grabbing her before she fell on the floor.

It was dawn when she woke up and she could see laptop was alive.

When she woke up, a familiar face came near her.

‘It’s alright. It’s alright. We will handle it.’ He said as she cried into his arms.

She got up from the bed and looked around. Vinay entered the room, she went and hugged him.

‘It’s alright. It’s alright. We will handle it.’ He said as she cried into his arms.

ammusatheesh, jskls, Rajeni and 2 others like this.
  2. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

3. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Wow. Sooper dooper BB. I loved this story

4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Kleptomaniac! That’s interesting! If u watch Tamil movies, am reminded of the old lady in Micheal Madana Kamarajan!

Very good one BB!

jskls likes this.
  5. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Thats a nice write-up. Tension cum interest was building up line by line and good that both are so understanding and doesn't want to deceive other half!

--PS

6. blackbeauty84

Thank you Rampuri9

7. blackbeauty84

Thanks much Rith

8. blackbeauty84

Thanks Rajeni. My all time favorite movie and that old lady is an interesting character!

9. blackbeauty84

Thanks peddadas.Glad yopu found both stories interesting.