1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Zentangle A Meditational Art Form

Discussion in 'Drawings / Sketchings / Photography' started by SBRose, Mar 20, 2018.

1. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

SKETCHBOOK - A sketchbook is needed for practicing tangles each day. Make sure the sketchbook paper is made for ink and thick enough that the ink will not bleed through to the pages below. Keep the size manageable. At times we will take the sketchbooks with us to find new patterns. The landscape style is easiest to use when holding the book and drawing at the same time, and I prefer the 4 × 4 inch (10.2 × 10.2 cm) or 5 × 8 inch (12.7 × 20.3 cm) size. If the sketchbook is too big, it may become cumbersome to carry around.

GeetaKashyap and Sandycandy like this.
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Rose, this is interesting and very therapeutic ! I make my own mandala designs and keep coloring them. This is very interesting too.

SBRose and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@SBRose Looks good ! Interested but I’m not artistic will it be fine to learn ??

SBRose likes this.
  4. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

I didn't know such a thing even exista in the first place. Thanks to you for letting all of us know about it.

SBRose and shravs3 like this.
  5. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sandy, please get ready for the journey, you will sure like it

6. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Yes Shrav, you can learn, no requirement that you have to be an artist. Please join the Journey, Thanks

shravs3 likes this.
  7. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for responding Star.

‘The Zentangle Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.’ These are the words of Zentangle’s creators, Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts.
    Zentangle is more than just a form of art –it helps to release stress, is very calming and offers enormous pleasure. The aim of this thread is to show that the Zentangle Method is easy to learn and that lovely results can be achieved even if you have no drawing skills –Zentangle has a happy knack of bringing out the artist in everyone. One of the keys to Zentangle art is always to take your time –go slowly and relax. The focus is on the present moment, never on the result; on the journey, not the destination.

shravs3 likes this.
  8. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Lovely Ladies, it is not mandatory that you should get sakira pigma 005black pens, you can use normal gel pens 0.5mm. Buy a small sketch book with plain white papers. If you can cut and make tiles with white papers it will be very good too.
    A Zentangle tile size is 3 1/ 2 × 3 1/ 2-inch (8.9 × 8.9 cm). I am attaching couple of my zentangle tile works here to give you an idea how it looks like.
    What i am planning is to present step by step tutorial for each pattern which you all can practice and share here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  9. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

GETTING STARTED
    Zentangle CAN REALLY BE DONE ANYWHERE, as long as you can hold your tile, pencil, and pen. I always have a mini kit in my purse in case I feel inspired, need to alter my mood or stress level, or want to alleviate boredom. Tangling on the run is a great idea for getting through the events of daily life while bringing a little beauty to each day, but it’s not the ideal way in which to learn a meditative art form.

To get the most out of your Zentangle journey, create a time and space where you can spend thirty minutes creating your daily Zentangle tile.
    This does not require setting up a studio. Find a space you enjoy being in. Make sure you have good lighting, a table or hard surface to work on, and a place to sit. The area should be free of interruption. Background music can be great for drowning out irregular interruptive noise.
    Choose something that will allow you to relax but stay focused and not put you to sleep.
    Tangle patterns are made from a series of repetitive, easy-to-create, deliberate pen strokes. The process is very rhythmic, centering, and relaxing. By following the same steps each time, a ritual is created. The ritual becomes more familiar, comforting, and relaxing with use.
    Benefits such as developing new skills while enhancing old ones, stimulating creativity, purposefully redirecting your mind and thoughts, improving focus, calming and centering the mind, and releasing stress become easier to achieve. The steps are as follows:
    1. Relax, stretch a little, and make yourself comfortable.
    2. Breathe—take a few nice big breaths in and out. Smile. Remember to enjoy being in the moment.
    3. Examine and admire your tools and your paper and appreciate this time to create.
    4. Draw tangle pattern i am post here every day
    5.Reflect on your piece of art. 6.Appreciate and admire your piece, not just up close but also from 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 m) away. It is amazing how the piece changes from a distance.

tangle patterns can be found at: TanglePatterns.com (that is pretty much the site recognized by Zentangle HQ. and at: pattern-collections.com – The Ultimate Pattern Index

‘Anything is possible, one stroke at a time’

shravs3 likes this.
  10. L69

L69 Gold IL'ite

Looks like a very interesting art form....will surely give a try.....thank you for all the information.

SBRose likes this.