1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Made A Difference To Someone's Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Star25, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

I completed my Under graduation and was looking out for a job. At the time when we graduated there were no campus interviews so we had to search for jobs on our own. During that wait period I was at home. I kept preparing for entrance exams and simultaneously applying for jobs. But still there used to be ample time for me at home. I wanted to do something productive but did not know exactly what to do. One day my mom asked me if I would like to accompany her to the orphanage for donating old clothes. I usually stay indoors but my mom would make it a point to ask me every time she goes out. I have never been to an orphanage before and agreed to go with her. The orphanage was close by to our house and it was for the blind people. As we went inside we were greeted by a front office assistant since my mom used to make regular visits. My mom handed over the bag of clothes to her and wanted to make a donation as my birthday was approaching. We usually donate for food for birthdays and anniversaries so they would serve it on that day. My mom handed over the money and the assistant handed over the receipt.

Then when we were about to leave, she said ‘she must be your daughter right? she so much resembles you.’ My mom said ‘Oh yes, she’s my only daughter the pillar of our family.’ The assistant then turned towards me and asked ‘If you have any free time can you come and read out to the students here? Currently we do not have sufficient readers. It would be great if you could spend an hour during the weekends’. I was so happy since it gives me an opportunity to serve them and immediately replied ‘I am currently available in the weekdays also so an hour a day shouldn’t be a problem’. “Oh very kind of you” she said and thanked us both.

The next day post lunch I headed to the orphanage. The assistant recognized me and asked me to fill the contact form and asked me to meet the 2 blind students. She said they will give me the instructions and I just needed to follow it. They told me to read it out aloud to them and they would listen to it and grasp it. Everyday I used to go there and teach/read it out to them. I also recorded their study material through cassettes and gave them. I did this for a month after which I received an offer letter from an MNC. I was so happy on one side for getting placed and on the other, felt sad that i would miss going to the orphanage everyday. I told the students that i got job and I would meet them only during the weekends. They were so happy for me. After that my marriage got fixed and i couldn’t go. Now after a decade I went to the orphanage and i asked them about the students. They contacted one of them through phone and asked him if he knew a person who would come to teach/read out English lessons to him. He immediately recognized and told my name out loud and I was further surprised to hear him saying ‘Madam how have you been? We missed your reading sessions back then, once you left. You had been a good source of inspiration to us since we used to hate that English language. Good you came to teach us. Now I am pursuing my Masters degree in English literature.‘ I was so happy to hear what he said since even after a decade he remembered me. I thanked the person for connecting me to him and returned with a heart full of joy. The happiness that comes out of making a difference to someone’s life, in some way or the other, cannot be equated to any other materialistic or worldly pleasure.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Indeed you made a good difference to someone’s life. Tat moment of satisfaction when you help the people in need ! :clap2:

nandinimithun, sindmani and Star25 like this.
  3. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@shracs3 : Yes very true thank you so much!

shravs3 likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Star25,

Every able bodied person must give back something to the society. As a society, we are yet to build this service spirit in our lives. You have brought up a very good point.

Even we make annual donations and do whatever is possible for the weaker sections of the society.

5. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Yes.. If each of us think and contribute something even if little that would make a huge difference to the society

sindmani likes this.
  6. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

7. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

8. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

This is so good to read....Thanks for sharing.

Star25 likes this.
  9. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Really a good action . It was so nice to read, then I can imagine how much happiness you felt while helping them. May god bless you :)

sindmani and Star25 like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice to know that You made a difference in Someone’s life. Helping someone with reading is a wonderful gift to give. Stay Blessed And may you have many more opportunities to continue helping

Sandycandy, sindmani and Star25 like this.