1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Howling & Barking Dog At Midnight

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vedhavalli, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

This incident happened in 1995...
    It was a summer vacation and great grandparents 80th birthday celebration, so the entire family was excited and whole family was there. The day before my great grandparents 80th birthday Sadabishegam, we do mangalyadaranam too, my great grandma wanted to go her parents house!!
    Most of the female counter parts went to great grandma's maternal house. And planned to directly come to the temple venue.
    My grandpa, grandpa's brothers, my uncles and great grandpa were there in house and the other ladies st house self immersed in lady talks.

The windy and stormy night after 11 pm the dogs in the street moved in front of our house ( it's a village) started barking and later moved to howling till daybreak.

My grandpa was worried because it's a belief dogs shouldn't howl before a auspicious function. No one slept peacefully that night, my grandpa's brothers believed howling dogs can see negative energy or ghosts..the entire household was worrying .
    The next day 80th birthday was celebrated grandly with pomp and show.
    Later my grandpa told Grandma in front of us, "he was worried as yesterday night the dogs howled and barked the whole night, he was tensed about the function".

My grandma replied, "you forgot to keep the food for dogs??, We usually keep for them after 10pm", thats why they barked in front of the house at first later howled.

We all had a good laugh!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Nylaa, Amica, sindmani and 9 others like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli ,

Lol! Grandma's wisdom zindabad! Her presence of mind and looking at facts is admirable.

That reminds me, a young doctor met with a nasty road accident. Many internal organs suffered including his brain! During the recovery period, he used to sit in his compound in the evenings watching the nature and people, to pass time. One day, he noticed a ghost form on a distant tree and it started affecting him badly. In view of the extensive damages to his body and mind, fear of the ghost almost numbed him. Luckily for him his scientific brain still functioned. One fine day, he decided to face the ghost and without the knowledge of others at home; he simply walked straight towards that tree with the ghost......Once he reached the tree he realised that it was a torn plastic sheet stuck in the branches of the tree that looked like a ghost to his 'weak' mind. Thus he overcame his crippling fear! This is a true incident. That doctor recovered fully and has reached a great position in life today.

Whenever I experience illogical fears, I motivate myself recalling this incident:)

sindmani, Vedhavalli, shravs3 and 8 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli,

Quite disappointing. You haven't even bothered to acknowledge! Habitual?

Vedhavalli and Sandycandy like this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Sorry! Didn't watch the thread

GeetaKashyap likes this.