1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to take care of elderly parents back in India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pooja, Nov 11, 2007.

1. anupriyabasu123

anupriyabasu123 Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to the US and have been thinking a lot about taking care of parents, finding a balance, moving back or visiting them more often. Every person is in a different situation in life, some are comfortable in moving back and some have different aspirations in life. Simply put, to each his own. I really can't judge someone based on their life decisions because the circumstances for each person differ widely, something we can't even imagine!

Ten years back, I couldn't even think of moving to any other country, because of my thought process then. But people evolve, and there's nothing wrong in pursuing your dreams and aspirations, again in my opinion. Some find being close to the family rewarding while others dream of a life traveling around the world. It's all about where you find value and what gives you satisfaction.

Also, things have changed considerably over the last decade and so have people. Nowadays, many parents are proud and happy to see their children achieve their dreams or travel far for their work/passions. That doesn't mean those children don't care for their parents, being with them always doesn't translate to love or respect. There are many stories of people living together terribly, but I don't want to go there. Also, there are people who don't have kids at all, who do you blame there?

These days many budding organizations are offering elder care services that take really good care of the aging generation, from their medical care to personal care. So, they can enjoy their golden years and not be worried about routine tasks. Looking for these services and giving those comforts to your parents can really bring a lot of peace & happiness around.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.