1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Zentangle A Meditational Art Form

Discussion in 'Drawings / Sketchings / Photography' started by SBRose, Mar 20, 2018.

1. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Zentangle art allow anyone to achieve a relaxed focus while they create beautiful images using repetitive patterns. By using repetitive patterns with deliberate strokes, one becomes engrossed in each stroke and a shift of focus—i.e., a heightened awareness in which your mind, instincts, and knowledge all work together quickly, effortlessly, and accurately—can occur. They call this a meditational art form.

I have created this thread to share my knowledge on this art form with the lovely ladies here and continue to learn more and more patterns.

I seriously hope i will find like minded ladies who can learn together with me :)

I am attaching one of my art work which has various zentangle patterns on it.

We can learn pattern by pattern eveyday and combine them to make zentangle inspired art.

Come on Lovely Indus Ladies - let us start our zentangle art journey together!

Attached Files:

Sunburst, kaniths, Star25 and 5 others like this.

2. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Please reply here if you are interested to Practice this art which is a kind of meditation

shravs3 likes this.
  3. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Hello @SBRose, Just googled about Zentangle after seeing your post. Quite interesting. I am gonna try this!

Btw, your work looks great!

shravs3 and SBRose like this.
  4. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rajeni, Welcome to Zentangle Journey ! I will post the first pattern to try out in a few minutes.

Thank you very much for the appreciation

Rajeni likes this.
  5. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Awesome! Also, do post the rules - do's and dont's and tips/instructions if any.

SBRose likes this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Fantastic work; very neat lines and finish!:clap2: Are you also into other forms of art? I have been wanting to get back to my drawing/painting routine but somehow I have not been able to do so. Maybe I will get there with you. Let me try:)

Sandycandy and SBRose like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@SBRose longtime s. how are you and your young man..welcome back..

ha zentangles, was introduced to it when a friend went for a class. i only look at coloring pages and scribbling both on app.. they have the mandala and zentangle. not sure if i can hold a pencil stable.. so coloring is a meditative stress buster for me apart from music and reading

SBRose likes this.
  8. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Nice to hear from you Shanvy :) i am good. How are you ?
    Any form of Art is a therapy, so all good. Keep in touch

9. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Welcome Geeta to the Zentangle Journey! Hope you find this interesting.. i will soon post the first steps and we can begin from there !
    Thank you for your appreciation on my art work. You can do similar patterns once you start practicing.

shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  10. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Rajeni & Geeta,
    Please find some information on What is Zentangle and what we need to start with :

A ZENTANGLE IS A MINIATURE abstract work of art. It is created from a collection of patterns not meant to represent anything. It is created on a 3 1/ 2 × 3 1/ 2-inch (8.9 × 8.9 cm) piece of art paper called a “tile.” This size allows for a work of art that can be completed in a relatively short time. The process is a meditative art form, using a pen and pencil. There are no mistakes in Zentangle, so there is no need for an eraser. If you do not like the look of a stroke you have made, it then becomes only an opportunity to create a new tangle, or transform it using an old trusty pattern. A Zentangle tile is meant to be a surprise that unfolds before the creator’s eyes, one stroke at a time. Zentangle is one of the few art forms that you intentionally do not plan out. There are no expectations or planned goals of accomplishment to worry about attaining or disappointments stemming from unattainable expectations. With no plan to follow, there is nothing to detract from the stroke being drawn. The lack of planning and the tangles allow the unexpected to occur. The process of creating a Zentangle teaches us to become comfortable letting our instincts be in control, so it does not matter that you do not know what you are doing next. Practicing the Zentangle process teaches you to look at your work from every angle, which allows you to acknowledge all the possibilities of the piece and the opportunity to make decisions as the artwork evolves. Being locked into planned goals can cause the loss of opportunity for the piece to flow naturally together. Following a plan can often leave the artwork feeling stiff, rigid, or lacking in continuity. Once you grasp the concepts of tangling, you can easily expand upon it as you travel on your Zentangle journey. One of the wonderful things about Zentangle is that, like life, a Zentangle is always a work in progress. There is always another stroke that can be deliberately made, a new pattern to learn or invent to cover or transform an area you are not happy with. Just as in life, we often learn the most from transforming an area we do not like. Remember, there is always the next tile to be created, and each one is an opportunity to learn. Just as it is impossible to judge a life’s work that is ongoing, it is impossible to judge a tile half-tangled. Leave all expectations, criticisms, and comparisons behind each day when it is time to tangle. Each Zentangle tile will be unique and different. Some will be prettier, others stylish, dynamic, animated, or a feast of contrasting tones for the eye. Each will have strengths and weaknesses, and together they will create the mosaic of your Zentangle journey. The important part is to tangle every day.
    The Supplies Needed to Create a Zentangle Tile There are few supplies you’ll need. Try to use the best materials possible because your work is worth it, and it makes a difference in the quality of work you do. If you work on a piece of scrap paper, the paper has been deemed junk, so there is no concern about the quality of work done on the paper. A lack of focus results in work being sloppy, random, and careless. When we pick up a piece of quality art paper, our senses are awakened by the feel of the paper; our attention is piqued. We appreciate the weight, texture, and aesthetics as we hold it and place it down on our work surface. Our attention has been shifted from the world around us to the project before us. Because the paper has worth, our attention turns to focusing on creating each stroke and the piece of art before us.
    Recommended pen is Pigma Micron 005 pen
    ZENTANGLE TILES
    A Zentangle is always created on a 3 1/ 2 × 3 1/ 2-inch (8.9 × 8.9 cm) tile. That is one of the few rules of Zentangle.

jskls, GeetaKashyap and Sandycandy like this.