1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing A Montessori School

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by vidukarth, Mar 6, 2018.

1. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I need advice from all the moms here. I am trying to decide between 2 schools for my little one. Both are montessori based. FYI, am living in USA

1. Montessori school with different classrooms and huge size. Mix of kids, and not accredited to AMS/AMI, but is there for sometime and price wise less and many parents send here. I see many indian kids too here. Teachers above 3.5 years age are montessori certified.
    Pros - cost wise cheap
    Cons - lot of kids and not that clean and hearing mixed reviews about management

2. Home based montessori run by a korean lady in her basement who has 13 years of montessori experience and montessori certified. She has an assistant and total of 8 kids between ages 3-6, and is strict and expects completely potty trained and says it is a school and not a day ccare and they have to be independent.
    She is little expensive than the first one.

Am unable to decide between the 2, can you all pour your thoughts and advise.

Thanks in advance.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Vidya, @vidukarth

How are you? So nice to see you back! What grade are we talking about here - is it day care or preschool/kindergarten? That might help in answering. That said,

For the first one, what do you mean by not clean? Also till what grade level does this school go?

For the second one - does she have a permit to run this school? Again till what grade/age does she run the school?

3. vidukarth

Hi Srama,

Am doing good, how are you? Thanks for taking time to reply.
    My little one will turn 3 in september and looking for her. It goes for ages until 5 or 6 for kids born after september, basically ages 2-6 where 3.5 -5 years old is one class and under 3.5 is in pre primary class room.

For the one running at home, yes she has a permit to run the school and has license number and it is again between 3-5 only and if kids are born after september they stay until they get to public school next year

i was wondering if the smaller size would be good or bad, more attention, but not sure how she will feel when she goes to public school with larger ratios.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vidu, what is your long term goal for your little one? By long term, I mean at least 5 years. If in 2 years you need to move schools if you choose option 2, my choice would automatically be choice 1. Here is why:

1. Kids have the tendency to get themselves heard. In the school that my DD attends (Public by the way), there are 28 kids with 2 teachers. Initially i thought it would be rough but since all the kids are of her age, it didnt really matter. so, dont go by head count. go by quality.

2. While kids develop routine pretty fast, they do thrive if they are in the same surroundings. Change is hard on them, though its not impossible.

3. At age 3, does she really need to stick to a schedule and follow a montessori time table? she will have schedules on her plate at least until she turns 22. Focus on play.

5. vidukarth

Hi Rakhi,

Thank you, yes will switch her to public school after 2 years. I was choosing montessori because it is more child driven than teacher driven with a pre defined set of activites.

I was also thinking about the bigger group due to the transition needed in 2 years, but quality wise hearing mixed reviews about the bigger school. Other good ones are too far and was hence debating.

It helps a lot to hear parent's opinion here.

Thank you for the feedback and I agree change is not easy on them, but she will be in the same place for atleast another 2 years before switching to public schools.

6. Rakhii

Vidu, where is she right now?

7. vidukarth

Rakhi,

She goes to a family day care now, but i see her showing interest to learn now seeing the elder one and trying to imitate the 3rd grader. The place where she goes is mainly having infant and toddlers.

8. Rakhii

Vidu, we seem to be exactly in the same boat. My 2.5 year old goes to a home daycare.
    We have decided to leave him there until he is ready for JK at 4. I mean, he goes to parks, swimming and plays in dirt (literally). Its a conscious decision we have come to solely because I wanted him to start where he will stay put for the near future. He is in his comfort zone and he is only 2.5 (like almost 3 like yours). Its natural for them to imitate the older sibling but that doesnt necessarily mean they are ready for it.
    By all means do what you think is best but we personally felt to leave the kid in his comfort zone until he absolutely must join the crowd (which is appearing in a mere 2 more years). Cost wise, I am paying a bomb...same like montessori but at least he is in a family setup.

Good luck.

9. vidukarth

Same pinch, mine will be 2.5 end of this month too. The reason i want to switch is they do not have much outdoors in the family day care and the timing is also is getting a little hard on us since i have to pick up by 4. Schools have a longer time. Also, here we do not have junior kindergarden and they have to go only at 5 for kindergarden. So staying here may not do any good value for her. If she goes to a school based setup with a curriculum she would have outdoor time, field trips etc. Hence wanted to switch too.

10. Rakhii

ya, then it makes sense to move her. but see, if you are moving her, might as well move her where she will stay longer....no?

I hope other parents can give their inputs.