1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story About My Saree

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Though I do not belong to the higher rungs of the society, privileged enough to sit in the front row to watch the high-voltage fashion shows of Sabyasachi Mukherjee, I have one show right at my door steps every morning. At that time, you will find me sitting in my drawing room with the front door open, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the models – my house helper and my land lady, who arrive and depart respectively. While the former wears the choicest colourful chiffons, Georgettes etc, imported stuff handed down by her other clients, the later wears a plethora of handloom ethnic stuff, in vibrant shades, diverse colours and textures- attractive sarees, with matching accessories. These lovely lively visuals ensure my otherwise dreary day starts off cheerfully.

I take one look at my faded saree that is still going strong. Sure it’s a boring stuff, unlike the glittery designer wear trotted by the film fraternity. But from 16 to 60, if there is one thing which has made my life all the more colorful and interesting, it is the only one – saree, a six-yard wonder.

My first encounter with a saree was a simple celebration at home when my grandma fondly wrapped me in her heavy brocade saree. With my thin frame of body vanishing under yards of clothing, it was my great grandma who turned critical. Giving me an X-ray look she said that I resembled a perfect scarecrow, a sarcastic remark in her typical caustic tongue which hurt me a lot and brought gallons of tears!

College was a great liberation as I graduated from wearing traditional half sarees with oiled pigtails to indulging on sarees to my heart’s content. When most of the girls were fashionably dressed in salwars, doing their hair in the most enviable styles, I found myself a total stranger with my oiled hair and cotton saree. With financial constraints looming ahead at home front I had to do with just four sarees initially. All my dreams of dressing like film star Sharmila or Hemamalini were swept aside under the watchful eyes of my grandparents!

Once on my birthday – after a lot of cajoling – my grandparents bought me a fashionable chiffon saree. Stitching a matching blouse with back buttons and a boat neck I proudly wore it to my college, surprising everyone with my style quotient. It was one of the most memorable days of my life, as my friends and I celebrated the event with great fun and frolic. When I returned home and got out of my saree, the scenario that unfolded was far from happy. Football-sized holes gaped at me, through one of which I could see the piercing angry eyes of my grandma. I could guess how the holes got in to my saree because that day happened to be a lab day and my careless handling of acids had led to this. More than the acid fumes in the lab, it was the acidic remarks from my family members that brought tears in my eyes. A sad ending to a happy day!

Now I have a wardrobe full of kanjeevaram sarees which I routinely air, refold and stack neatly. Those sarees are fit to be thrown out, but hidden behind the folds and creases are untold stories of human warmth, love, and tears. While the people who gifted them have departed for heavenly abode, I search for a reminder of their warmth between those worn out creases.

Viswamitra, Indu18, kkrish and 23 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Agatha dear as always a lovely write up about the story of your saree. I am very fond of sarees and have written a snippet on it also. Glad to know yu have a collection of kanjivaram sareesand you have kept them as they bring sweet memories.

Once upon a time when we were not financially well off I used to dream of having good collection of sarees. One aunty used to always bring sarees for us when she used to visit us. Those days new saree was bought on during diwali and me and my sister used to share the sarees. My sister is a very simple person and was not fond of dressing and she used to tell me to wear any new saree. If someone is jealous of her wearing a nice saree she wont wear that saree only. While working I used to buy from ashop when new arrivals were there. After retirement less sarees but have got many sarees as gifts and I have a good collection of sarees. My daughters also have given their sarees to wear because they know I am very fond of wearing.. Now since my elder daughter has shifted to India she wears sarees and she buys for me also and share the sarees.

Thanks for the lovely write up and this I feel should go to finest forum

satchitananda and Agatha83 like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Lovely snippet with nostalgia. How the times have changed, na? Thanks for Sharing.

jskls, Agatha83 and nandinimithun like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

at the outset looks humorous but you have wonderfully woven the emotions as a saree, too good and reading did pop out a tear too...

jskls, Amica and Agatha83 like this.
  5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Lovely write up.... fell in love with the magical last line ‘ I search for a reminder of their warmth between those worn out creases.’

Agatha83 likes this.
  6. latharamesh1964

latharamesh1964 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Agatha,

Lovely snippet. "I searchfor a reminder of their warmth between thosewornoutcreases" is so so heart warming statement/feeling. Golden statement to be cherished for ever.

You have just spoken my heart out. I am also a saree buff. Have variety of sarees. Anytime i would have some 10-15 new sarees in my wardrobe. I would jokingly tell my family/friends, if i die today my soul will not rest in peace since i have not worn those new sarees yet.

Jokes part, it is so nostalgic to think and talk about each saree - which will have an unique story of its own. Now i can afford to buy any saree i want. but i cannot forget the days when my mother used to buy sarees on installment payment basis and collect for us to be given at the time of marriage (we were three daughters). it is 30 years since i am married and still those sarees bought by my mother are my priced possession.

I also had good collection of sarees given to my daughter when she got married two years back. I love to gift good sarees to my folks as well on all occassions.

Even now, my biggest worry is who will take my sarees when i die. Will my husband give them away to some orphanage/or say who ever wants may take. Because he will find every instance to say dispose them off.

The memories & stories will go on !!!

Cheers

Latha Ramesh

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viji for your lovely compliments and also for being the first in giving a wonderful feedback. When I was young, The lack of good sarees, prevented me from attending many functions, because those days the status was decided by ones attire! Now those heavy Kanjeevarams, stacked up neatly in my wardrobe hardly gets my attention, because of the age factor and also the sultry climate.
    So there ends my saree tale!

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I
    You can wear the sarees at any age. I also could not wear purr silk sarees in young age ,,fulfill that desire now at the age of 74

radv likes this.
  9. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Am so touched with your beautiful snippet. Very good one.

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83 As usual you have given a lovely snippet.
    "Those sarees are fit to be thrown out, but hidden behind the folds and creases are untold stories of human warmth, love, and tears."True words.Nothing can be compared to their Love.After many years i thought of buying a silk saree for Diwali but my mother died one week before Diwali due to heart attack.Then onwards i have no interest in buying silk sarees.i took only one cotton saree from my mother's cupboard.

Agatha83 likes this.