1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Teach Writing Alphabets To 4 Year Old

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by creativemumma, Feb 21, 2018.

1. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

I'm struggling to make my kids write. They are partners in crime always playing and fighting but not at all interested in holding a pencil and write for a minute.
    They recite alphabets and numbers well but have difficulty in writing

I have no hopes on their preschool and want myself to dedicate some time everyday. Want to know innovative ideas so that i can teach them writing capital and small letters without making the home a war zone

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

how about allowing them to explore holding a pencil and doodle on papers. if you are worried about walls stick chart papers and let them enjoy.

coming to alphabets not sure how it is today, but i prefer the sleeping, the standing lines and the the alphabets

sindmani likes this.
  3. creativemumma

They have learnt through this concept in the school. So they knew standing lines etc.
    Moreover, they try to explain me something in these lines (Eg: when they saw a noodles Ad on TV, they want to eat it they come and explain to me standing lines with fork etc:)

But they are not interested in writing at all

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

oh most kids dont like writing either brcause thier motor skils are not developed or because it is too much repeated writing. my son hated writing because it was both.

that he still hates writing is a different story because he falls in the spectrum.

what helps. we would write on flour. we would make writing coloring episodes. even a was about finding the alphabet and coloring and making it interesting. it is more about both of us doing it. it meant thst me his mom also wrote in my notebook and not just forcing him to write.

we even learnt to tell stories by writing words.. blue sky.. everytime they write something ecourage them
    by sticking it on the fridge. i had a cover into which i would slide his work of the day.. and put it under a magnet. his dad would appreciate his work.

work with them and i am sure they will do it. weekends give them
    a small story line or picture(
    loads of printables must be available ) use both art and writing together. they will leech on..

all the best

shravs3 and creativemumma like this.
  5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Give them crayons and coloring book to start with.

Then after few days give a notebook and pencil to both and draw the dots to make them write. Keep some price for doing first.

Take them out as a price of doing the work and tell them each time they finish the task they will get rewarded.

Give them dough or clay to play and help them to make different things. It helps in developing fine motor skills.

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I agree about the fine motor skills making writing a big challenge. Tracing letters with their finger, might take the pressure of their pencil holding skills. Using Play-doh to shape letter is also a very good way to recognize shapes of letters and make it a tactile activity.

creativemumma likes this.
  7. creativemumma

Yesterday night, I kept my work and dinner preparations aside and spent with them an hour.

Just made them write A and B nothing more.

She was very happy that I'm sitting with her and writing with her. Felt guilty for not doing it till now:oops:

Will continue this every day...I used to help them with their homework and projects earlier. nowadays I have left them and not bothering about their homework too since they are denying. No I understand that its my mistake:frown:

BhumiBabe and Shanvy like this.
  8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

It happen to me too.

9. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

I would agree with you... Allow children to be creative and you can slowly train them into learning alphabets